JCviggen's misano B7 RS4 - work in progress

Thanks Squiddy. Not sure if they actually got the engine out or not before the diagnosis. Having some issues with the communication. My fault for not speaking Russian obviously.

Already found a new compressor in stock locally, expecting it on my doorstep in about 2 hours for ~370 USD all in :slight_smile:

Went for the straight up Denso part, not the same Denso part with a VAG number on it. I believe JHM sell the same thing.

I’m betting the engine is well out, no matter what

Engine’s still in. Just visited them car to drop off the new compressor I had delivered (4 hours from order to delivery, at half the JHM price - for once this place is giving me a break)

They reckon probably it can stay in as well. I told them in case it has to come anyway out let me know I’ll have some extra jobs to do in that case.

As it is I only asked them to remove the aux rad on the intake side and use it to replace the one on the drivers side which is weeping a little.

Now I’m off to lie under a palm tree for a week or two, hopefully it’ll be enough time for them to get it done. I can’t tell if they’re lazy or otherwise busy with stuff they had planned before I came along but progress is definitely slow.

nice dig at JHM!

Actually no… though I can see how it could look that way. I thought JHM was already a good price. It’s like half of OEM. So to be half of JHM is a pretty good deal. Bottom line screw Audi and their markups for stuff they get elsewhere.

Of course a big reason is the RUR is worth like half what it was 6 months ago. This is all stock which was bought at old exchange rates so you can get ridiculous deals here now on some stuff that doesn’t have high turnover.

The newer AC cindensoers are junk. If you even start the car without the AC system full they fail. Just be careful on the reinstall don’t start the car unless the account system is primed.

Thanks Justin will try to convey the necessary warnings!

An old AC tech buddy of mine looked at my car a few years ago and recommended I add just a small amount of AC lube over the normally recommend amount. He recovers the AC charge on cars he services and he said a good way to keep the pumps good aside from not letting gunk getting in was adding just a hit extra AC line lube

To note, make sure to use the correct amount of oil to start with, and the correct type. I believe when I ordered my new a/c compressor new in the box with Audi tag and all, the ports were sealed and it said it came with the proper quantity and type already inside. I think the type is PAG 46 if you wanted to add a little extra, though I would check on that if I were you. I would also check the recommended amount, as it’s not much. Pouring in an additional small bottle would not be “a little extra”.

LOL yes that’s not a little bit.

Picked her back up after nearly a month. As Dmitry was done with the car only 3 days into my vacation I kept him busy with gutting my precats. 500$ extra, I probably overpaid considering I plan to get the gearbox out this summer and it would’ve made sense to wait till then. Patience has never been my thing.

Starter and AC compressor were replaced and fresh 5w40 oil instead of 5w30. Bill was about $1200 keeping in mind I supplied both the starter and compressor myself.

There is noticeably more sound from the piggies, in a good way. No drone, just a bit more guts to it. My exhaust valves are always open at the moment, I do think if/when I ditch the resonators for an X-pipe I’ll have to reconnect them to keep things civilized. I just didn’t like the sound of them opening/closing all the time in S mode, and the engine was so quiet I struggled a bit with the clutch in the beginning with the valves closed. Anyway, most importantly I’m saving the paint of the S button on my steering wheel. ::slight_smile:

Managed to sneak out for a short post-rush hour runs on the same stretch of road I’ve tested before by the river.

Twice the 3-8K test - best time 7.75s The other one was 7.77s. About 10 degrees C out and no wind as far as I could tell standing outside. Spring is in the air here, quite early. Still, the piggies make a HUGE difference. 2 tenths off my previous best 3-8k which was done in considerably colder weather.

Apologies for the half open window and ensuing wind noise. http://youtu.be/XGQoFzvP1Qg

Also tried a standing start and saw 4.65s 0-100 km/h speedo wise (62). Never really tried launching the car before and it’s on winter tires, whether that helps or makes it worse I actually dunno. The first time I tried it I missed second gear entirely. Quite embarrassing. Pity as the launch itself was actually better. Will never be a drag racer.

https://youtu.be/2Lz8RZHOZ0Y

When you install a true X pipe the exhaust gets quieter and there will be less drone. Depending on the X and any other work the car won’t get louder.

That’s good to know, thanks.

Mind you, I was talking about going from resonated stock to unresonated X-pipe, so the overall result is probably still louder than it is now.

Open window exhaust sound close to a wall. Quite happy with it.

https://youtu.be/czl8f4-ujI4

Pretty much impossible to gauge.

Here is piggies + ecs x pipe vs stock.

https://youtu.be/fjdlEU483no

Yeah, then again I only ever hear my car from the inside anyway lol

What I envy above all things in that video of yours is the stretch of road you’re on.

Back from the May holidays, and brought my car some presents (stuff everyone else)

http://www.greenringer.net/various/stuff.jpg

• A fix for my chipped mirror glass
  • A fix for my worn steering badge
  • Rebuild parts for the gearbox including the first 3 gears and synchro hubs
  • Some touch up paint to get rid of the tiny nick on the rear door edge
  • A tuning cable
  • Some 8mm spacers
  • A spare MAF as I ended up with one too many, might as well keep it around.
  • A spare throttle body which arrived too late to be useful.

So far I’ve found out that I bought the “wrong” glass for my side mirror (flat instead of concave) and the brake pads will be sitting idle on the shelf for a while because the Nurburgring plans have been pushed back to next year by the ball and chain. Can’t win them all.

Also, fuck Audi for not selling the steering wheel badge separately for the flat bottom models. Although, at least you kind of feel you’re paying for something substantial rather than get bent over for a 0.5 square centimeter badge.

Just waiting for the delivery guy now to get my Michelin PSS summer tires.

Planning to put the car on a train to Helsinki followed a Ferry to Stockholm to drive through Norway for a week in July which I’m rather looking forward to. This car needs some proper roads to enjoy, Moscow isn’t much fun…

I just polished my steering the paint off my wheel badge until it looked like this…

http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2900.0

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/sakimano/20141024_095501_zpsbkvttfay.jpg

Really they don’t sell that badge separately on Flat Bottom wheels… Unbelievable. Have you checked if badge from NA steering wheel is same dimensions?

Thats a neat fix. I’ve also seen several times where someone used touch up with ones desired color and then clear coat on top. The results were great.

That is cool. But with the plastic (yeah) surrounds being already a pretty light colour there wouldn’t be much contrast I think if I did something similar. And odds are the plastic tabs would break removing the old bottom of the wheel to get the badge out.

On my RS6 which had a similar kind of wheel/badge arrangement as your wheel I swapped the badge and it was peanuts. Of course they made the badges themselves different and incompatible (to answer Mr. Wong). Why it had to be this difficult we’ll never know. I suspect there’s a couple of people in Audi’s design department who compete to get the most absurd things approved for production.