JHM DSG Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel (Rattling Noises)

Is anyone with the JHM DSG Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel getting similar noises at IDLE, PARK, or NEUTRAL. I know I should get some noises but this seems a bit excessive.

You will hear the sound go away when it is in drive or reverse.

This issue came up a couple of years ago but hasn’t been covered since. There were a few that were getting a rattle but yours is the worst rattle I’ve heard by far. Mine does seem to make any noise whatsoever. Did you do your install? Almost sounds like something is out of balance/alignment. Were the bolts Torqued down evenly? I eased mine all down a little at a time as I spun the engine so I wouldn’t warp the Flex plate. Although I did replace my RS5 Flexplate with the stronger S4/S5/S6/S7 Flexplate.

@hahnmgh63 Thank you for your reply back on this. I reached out to JHM and shared the same audio clip and shortly after I received a response that this could very well be the flexplate failing in some manner or as you referenced maybe it wasn’t torqued down correctly.

I’m leaning towards the OEM steel stamped flexplate failing with heat and stress fractures probably.

I should of done what you did and had the flexplate replaced when this was all done the first time. It is going to be a costly repair as the shop I take it to will need to take the engine and transmission out to get to it.

What else would you do with the engine out? Rear main seal, hard to get to hoses replaced, I just want to make sure I get as much maintenance done while it is taken apart.

Again thank you hahnmgh63

I definitely wouldn’t drive it until you inspect it. If you can jack it up there is a plastic inspection hole (also used for removing the Flywheel bolts) on the lower left hand side, you might be able to get an inspection camera in there. The part # for the S6/S7 flexplate is: https://www.buyaudivwparts.com/oem-parts/audi-automatic-transmission-flex-plate-6e105323t?c=Zz1hdXRvbWF0aWMtdHJhbnNtaXNzaW9uJnM9YXV0b21hdGljLXRyYW5zbWlzc2lvbiZsPTEmbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1hdWRpJm89czYmeT0yMDE0JnQ9YmFzZSZlPTQtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz
It does weight about 1/2 pound more than the RS5 flexplate but you are saving a lot of weight already with the Aluminum DSG flywheel that more than makes up for it. The Bolts are listed as a one-time use so I wouldn’t take a chance on reusing them, cheaper in the long run to go with new bolts.

Totally agree I won’t drive it until it is inspected for sure. My brother had also mentioned the same inspection procedure as well, so I’ll have that done. I believe I’ve been very fortunate nothing worse has happened thus far and I pray nothing has been damaged further than the flexplate.

I have the JHM Lightweight Pulleys and I’ve had two of the belts that come with the kit shred within a year and half. We finally equated it to the tensioner failing so we replaced it. However my brother did mention crank walk and although very rear I just hope this potentially failed flexplate hasn’t damaged the crank to cause such a thing.

When I spoke to JHM they had recommended this ClutchMasters DSG flexplate, so I purchased it quickly to get it here as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all your help. I unfortunately don’t work on my vehicles unless it is something simple like changing out the air filters or spark plugs, maybe even an oil change on my Atlas, CX-5, and MDX but the RS5 is pretty low.

Copy that. The Clutchmasters is a Billet Flexplate so it should be even stronger than the S4/S5/S6/S7 Flexplate. I didn’t go with it for a couple of reasons, I didn’t think the cost was worth it in the end as it’s twice the price and the S6/S7 4.0t’s put out a lot more Torque already and don’t have the failures. The other reason is although it’s probably a great Flexplate I would prefer to always have feedback from somebody else first. With that said I had the first set of JHM headers but that is becuase they used mine as a template and really, how is a set of headers going bad unless they do bad welds. I think since it sounds like there hasn’t been anything more catastrophic than your sound clip above that your Crank should be fine, that is if it’s the Flexplate, but we don’t know that for sure.