JHM lightweight flywheel

Hey fellas, I was curious to know if anyone knows if the Lightweight flywheel was JHM stage 2 specific, seeing as the bulk of the R&D was done on their Stage 2 ECU and TCU tune? My assumption is no, but I know of instances in the past where changing flywheels and going from dual mass to single mass has led to the car stalling out. Not specifically speaking about the RS5 though. Anyone have any ideas? Guess I could just reach out to Jake lol :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ask jake and let us know but from a mechanical stand point. It would be interesting to know. The lighter flywheel I don’t see any issues with the car stalling as its a pretty advanced computer in the car and most of what JHM makes component wise they generally build it with the intention of being able to use it on a stock car.

These were my thoughts exactly.

Following, interested to know, I don’t plan on having the JHM tune done to my car either, and even if I do I still have a 3 hr drive to make to get it tuned with the flywheel on.

With the JHM tune. You can flash in the comfort of your own home. So you wouldn’t have to drive 3 hours.

I can’t do it in my own home I’d have to take it to a shop that can flash and the closest one is 3 hours away.

I do know that Jake said he may have to adjust the rpm file in the ECU on some of the stage 2 tune’s due to it needing a few extra rpm as there JHM RS5 car hit the rev limiter when on full throttle due to the light weight flywheel making the engine rev up quicker and harder !! Ive spoken to him about this and he will adjust that file very slightly to compensate for it ! Hope that helps guys

Yeah, I spoke to him about your post on the other site regarding tickling the rev limiter. I never even thought to ask him about my stalling concern. Looks like I’ll need to contact Jake about this, might as well throw in a question about headers too!

Excited to hear everyone’s feedback who purchased.

I’m usually the first to grab any of the JHM goodies, but I was concerned about losing some refinement for daily driving and chatter for low RPM driving.

I believe they hit low 11.7’s almost into 11.6’s with the flywheel. Impressive. Patiently waiting for their headers!

1 Like

Spoke to Jake, essentially he confirmed that mechanically there should be no issues. He did mention that on stock mapping there won’t be significant gains, it’s really only noticeable once the car makes more power. So while not specifically stage 2 centric, it will only truthfully be noticeable then.

Yep I’d agree with that, I had the lightened flywheel on my B7 RS4 with a Stage 1 clutch and in that application (being a manual) the slight increase in vibration and need to manually adapt gear changes (loss of inertia) were definitely worth it for the performance, but with not being able to manually adapt how the DCT behaves, the risk to driving refinement is too high for me

Mmmmm not sure that makes sense, less mass will help either way, however given the cost and marginal benefit, you’d surely go Stage 2 before the fly wheel anyway ?

Anyone have any updated feedback? Thinking about pulling the trigger

Yes following this as well. Am preparing for JHM stage 2 in April, considering the flywheel in 2H 2021 as well. JHM stated shaving 0.26 seconds off 0-100km, that’s a significant amount.

I read from other threads that there seem to be some transmission rattle while idle; anybody care to confirm on this?

Can confirm there is flywheel chatter at idol :+1:

I would say it’s worth it … look at how fast the shifts are, and how quickly it revs … insane acceleration now:

My car is almost finished, but I am testing a new JHM product, so waiting on that …

Go on…

Got an appointment to drop my car off at Audi to recode the transmission on Monday. Pulled off the rear bumper and having it painted and it should be done on Monday. Seibon Carbon Fiber hood estimated around mid-April so I might have to at least do some runs within a few miles of the house before I get the hood.

1 Like

Not my car, missing UIM cover and the stickers are a no go for me… but simple and effective!

I ordered a Carbon Fiber cover from this place. I’ll let you know how the quality is when it shows up, should be here soon.