JHM RS5 Tune Official Thread

It very much could be a one-off although I’ve never had it happen to me personally with the off the shelf stage 2.

First thing anyone should do is make sure their car is fully sorted and in good health. Take care of any mechanical issues prior to modifying the car otherwise you’re complicating the situation and add a lot of variables. Not saying your car isn’t in good shape, it’s just a good general practice to alleviate headaches down the road if something does go wrong. Makes it easier to solve too!

Usually, when you get that message, can pull over safely, turn car off then back on and all should be good. But definitely pull the codes and let JHM know as well as post them here if you could and we’ll go from there.

@Durin Just like Ape said maintenance is the main thing on these cars especially with the transmission. Check your filter check your fluid and be aware of your transmission temps. After you flash your DSG and ECU are fully reset. After they’re reset as you mentioned the DSG is adapting. During the adaption phase there are countless checks and limit routines the DSG unit goes through.

Since everyone in this thread and the countless others have the exact same tune on their DSG unit with no issue. I would say always check your codes as there might be something you need to address chances are more than likely the tune hasn’t caused an issue but exposed one if that is the case. But lf the codes don’t show much of anything let the DSG run its full adaption and report back.

Ape has a transmission cooler that might be worth looking into. Some of the transmissions are more finicky than others. Depending on the climate you live in as well, the transmission cooler is the weak link of the car in most regards. You don’t necessarily NEED one but depending on several factors its not ever a bad idea.

Either way the good thing about this forum and companies like JHM. You always have a team of good guys looking to help you if they and us here can.

Trust me, nobody is more anal on maintenance than me, I did a full DSG service prior to cover off on that, there was nothing wrong with car prior to the tune, no codes and no symptoms, I can’t stand everything not being perfect. The car has only done 35,000 miles

I don’t have codes yet but JHM have said

‘the clutches will be doing an adaption during the relearn of the DSG, the DSG could have just caught itself up and tripped an error. During the adaption process there can be limits triggered during the function tests the transmission runs. We increase the temp protection and lower the limits to trigger the safety mode.”

To me that last sentence clearly increases the chances of getting an error but on the plus side is hopefully nothing serious

I’ll keep you in the loop

So still don’t have the codes but took it for a good run today with some hard driving, no problems so that’s promising :sunglasses:

As a matter of interest has anybody done comparisons on 0-100 using launch control vs no launch control ? I think I heard once it was about 0.5sec ? I used an app similar to draggy and just timed 1 run, with no launch control recorded 4.1sec which seems pretty good if it’s 0.5sec difference :+1:

Edit : I went and looked at Ashers 3.68 draggy data, his 0-20mph time was 0.4sec quicker than mine (0.8 vs 1.2) and from then on we were identical (20-60mph 2.9sec) so looks like a good launch is worth 0.4sec, so I’m definitely happy with the 4.1

Ok so the general feedback on the update to Stage 2, as I said it was a challenge.

My ECU was not compatible don’t know if that’s because it’s an Australian release ? So the standard Map wouldn’t work, so emailed JHM tech support, with the time difference it was the middle of the night at JHM but once the earth had rotated enough they got straight back to me, what great customer service, I need to get an actual name so I can call him out but he worked a 21 hour day to produce a new map for my ECU And then hung around to support !

Good thing he did because once I got past the ECU flash (went very smoothly with the new file) cycled and moved on to TCU I got another error message, again I needed a tweaked TCU file, luckily this only took him another 15mins.

So by this time he’s worked right through to 5am his time ! Well done JHM

Very happy with the driveability which was a concern for me. Definitely more Low and mid range pull. Happy with a 4.1sec 0-100 without launch :+1:

The gearbox holds gears a little too long on small throttle in comfort for mine but it’s easy to manually flick it up, so all good

Also I don’t have any concerns with the throttle input being too sensitive (someone made that comment) I was running a throttle controller (throttle input booster) previously because stock comfort mode is way too slow, the Stage 2 is actually slightly less sensitive than I’m used to but it’s fine and a big improvement over stock.

@Durin, thanks for your detailed messages. I’m also in Aust and considering DIY’ing Stage 2 installation. Can’t imagine the Aust ECU is different but then again who knows what the factory does I suppose. Great service by JHM and gives me more confidence if I go ahead with it. Would be great to hear more about what was different that required a tweak to the map. They do “detune” some other cars for our “hot” climate but I had not heard any of that for the RS5. Hopefully your gearbox malfunction does not return. I had the gearbox and transmission fluids changed when I bought my car about 12 months ago even though Audi said it didn’t need it because it had only (then) done about 30,000km. Look forward to your further updates.

@MJD Having now gone through the process you could DIY for sure but I wasn’t game ha ha.
But having said that it was only about 1hr of labour so not expensive anyway
As I understand it there are ‘revisions’ of the ecu and mine was an early version, don’t know this for sure but my mechanic thought it’s related to table mapping so the data table locations or addresses are different ? I suppose there’s no point in having every single version so they probably have the most common ready to go ? If you do go ahead I’d be happy to talk on the phone and give you some tips. Where in Aus are you ?

I’m guessing it was the calibrator who helped you. He’s a member here and an all-around great guy and he really does go out of his way to help if the need arises.

There are many variations and box codes across the planet, he has to make sure everything matches up and honestly some cars can be picky. Mine definitely is.

Glad it hasn’t come back. As I alluded to, the cars can be finicky and if there’s one parameter out of spec that the ECU or TCU doesn’t like, the protections are enabled. But as you already mentioned, probably an adaptation thing.

I ran many beta tunes, especially on the TCU side as we experimented and my car just wouldn’t like some things which other cars had no problems with. She’s sensitive in other words. But once the tune was locked in, literally, not a single hiccup in all that time. I know another member who I personally flashed myself, had a slightly weird 1-2 or 2-3 shift. Wasn’t constant. He chased it for months on end. I personally experienced it riding shotgun and he too, had a very well maintained, super low miles car. Turned out to be he had a bad engine mount which was causing his issues.

It’s not unusual during summer for our temps to be 40+C here in Texas for a month straight. The car is capable of adjusting for the temps so no worries there. I’ve driven mine daily in extremely hot and as low as 0 celsius and has always just worked.

Now if it would also automatically clean all the carbon out of the intake runner and off the valves, I’d e a happy camper.

On the transmission cooler, it does help from a reliability standpoint but it also keeps the transmission performing at its full potential without intervention due to heat soak. So it’s consistent. There are a few running around Australia too. One owner is a member on this forum.

@Durin Thanks, I am in Melbourne. If you happened to also be local and have a trusted workshop and they now have some experience I’d be grateful to hear your recommendation! I tried to contact AudVolks who have a great local reputation and seem to be the local JHM supplier according to the JHM website but they haven’t shown much interest in following up with me!

@MJD oh ok, no unfortunately I’m in Perth, but as I said have to talk through it when you’re ready

@Ape_Factory thanks Michel, yeh hopefully it’s a thing of the past, time will tell…

Honestly, if you have a Windows based laptop already, I’d just purchase the flashing cable and flash it yourself. As long as you follow some simple rules it’s usually trouble free. I think I’ve flashed four or five cars at this point, some more than once, mine dozens of times, and have had only one issue on my car during the flash. I know others have but I have had a completely different experience and the new server is very robust meaning it can pick up where it left off. Just make sure you hook the car up to a battery tender, charge it fully, leave it attached. Make sure you have a fast wifi connection or a wired ethernet connection and you’re good.

Thanks. I have a laptop running Windows 7 (I know, don’t judge…) which works fine for the Ross-tech VCDS so hopefully that would do the trick. WiFi is pretty good and if need be could connect a long ethernet cable. Will investigate the flashing cable but if I need to buy direct from JHM + exhaust + transmission cooler (!) it will be a very expensive import job. I’d prefer to do these in stages but given the importing costs I suspect better value in doing this all together but will make some enquiries. Would you suggest exhaust and tune be done together or if not then which one first?

@MJD Hi mate, you have to buy the flashing dongle from JHM you can’t flash without it. However the shipping costs are negligible on such a small and light weight package, obviously the exhaust and transmission cooler are the big ticket items for shipping but you can’t combine the packaging of these as they will be different suppliers, JHM exhaust (or downpipes) and RMR transmission cooler.
For what it’s worth I did the exhaust first because I wanted the full Stage 2 experience once I got to it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m currently saving for the transmission cooler ha ha.
With the exhaust I had some interesting drone issues which it would be worth discussing before you purchase ( can we do PM on this forum ?) cheers

Thanks Durin, I haven’t worked out the PM protocol yet! Yes realise I need to get the cable and figured exhaust is probably first thing to do. Assume you purchased and imported your exhaust direct from JHM? If we want to stop annoying everyone else on this very excellent forum happy for you to email me at mdaven9@gmail.com and we can take it off line. Maybe Ape will help his friends down under with a two for one shipping cost on the transmission cooler!! Pity we are in the same country but some 3,300km apart!

Hi I didn’t want to just past the huge log but it doesn’t look like I can attach a text file ?

Here’s the log extract where the faults are

Monday,22,June,2020,16:26:53:64284
VCDS – Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 20.4.1.0 (x64)
Data version: 20200331 DS317.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: License Plate:
Mileage: 57890km-35971mi Repair Order:

Chassis Type: 8T-AU48 (8R0)
Scan: 01 02 03 05 06 08 09 13 15 16 17 19 1B 20 22 36 42 44 46 47
52 53 56 5C 5F 6C

VIN: Mileage: 57890km-35971miles

01-Engine – Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans – Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes – Status: Malfunction 0010
04-Steering Angle – Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. – Status: OK 0000
06-Seat Mem. Pass – Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC – Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. – Status: OK 0000
13-Auto Dist. Reg – Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags – Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel – Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments – Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway – Status: OK 0000
1B-Active Steering – Status: OK 0000
20-High Beam Assist. – Status: OK 0000
22-AWD – Status: OK 0000
36-Seat Mem. Drvr – Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver – Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist – Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. – Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System – Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. – Status: OK 0000
53-Parking Brake – Status: OK 0000
56-Radio – Status: OK 0000
5C-Lane Maintain. – Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. – Status: OK 0000
6C-Back-up Cam. – Status: OK 0000

Address 01: Engine (------CFSA) Labels:. 079-907-560-CFS.clb
Part No SW: 8T2 907 560 E HW: 8T1 907 560
Component: 4.2l JHM93 / H04 0003
Revision: NAH04—
Coding: 1A25003225C6000A3000
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM42FSI0118T2907560E 001002
ROD: EV_ECM42FSI0118T2907560E.rod
VCID: 3E73EE15A18CA97639-806A

1 Fault Found:
2937 - Please Check Fault Codes in Transmission Control Module
U1026 00 [032] - -
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 57824 km
Date: 2020.06.20
Time: 11:41:38

Engine speed: 1327.50 /min
                Normed load value: 38.8 %
                Vehicle speed: 27 km/h
                Coolant temperature: 99 °C
                Intake air temperature: 45 °C
                Ambient air pressure: 1020 mbar
                Voltage terminal 30: 14.206 V
                Unlearning counter according OBD: 37
                Engine status-Bits 0-7: 3
                Engine oil temperature: 103.6 °C
                Engine operating condition: Part. load
                Engine operating condition-Test_Program_Channel 87: 6

Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels:| 0B5-927-156.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 927 156 H HW: 0B5 927 156 J
Component: 0B5 42 FSINAR H01 0005
Revision: --H01—
Coding: 000001
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDL501021 001015
ROD: EV_TCMDL501021.rod
VCID: 428B9AE5D574CD965D-8016

1 Fault Found:
18053 - Shift Fork 3
P284B 00 [096] - Stuck
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Reset counter: 37

Engine speed: 1158 /min
                Transmission input speed: 1158 /min
                Transmission output speed: 221 /min
                Engine torque: 228 Nm
                Transmission fluid temperature: 77 °C
                Accelerator position: 24.0 %
                Clutch status: Kupplung 2 kann Moment übertragen
                Unlearning counter according OBD: 37

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels:. 8K0-907-379-V1.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 907 379 F HW: 8T0 907 379 F
Component: ESP8 quattro H09 0100
Revision: -------- Serial number: --------------
Coding: 2C6D0A
Shop #: WSC 06324 000 00000
VCID: 458181F9CC5AFAAE78-8010

1 Fault Found:
01315 - Transmission Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101101
Fault Priority: 6
Reset counter: 227
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                Hex Value: 0x1B00
                Hex Value: 0x4006
                Hex Value: 0x120E
                Hex Value: 0x23B4
                Hex Value: 0x0000

I really just need to become a JHM dealer. I’ll inquire with them.

I flashed Ben (AsherAudi on Audizine) using nothing but wifi. He had an Antigravity Lithium Ion battery and his wifi was testing at 400Mbps. Flashing was perfect. I’ve since upgraded the wifi in my house and I have similar numbers so I would not hesitate to do it wirelessly with a battery fully charged in good condition.

Check compatibility with Windows 7 first though. I’m a Mac guy but I have two PC laptops dedicated to the car. I hate you Bill Gates.

When I ship the trans coolers to Europe, you’re looking at about $140 via U.S. Postal with only $200 insurance (max they allow). I would think it’s a similar price to Australia but I can look into it.

I can’t imagine what the exhaust would cost to ship, it’s stinking heavy.

I can get better rates through UPS but they really complicate and screw up international shipping so I no longer use them.

If you both purchase the trans coolers at the same time, I could theoretically ship them together. Two kits will fit in one of my shipping boxes no problem. Just a thought!

A few others have seen this same error, shift fork 3, but both pre-tuned and post tuned. I believe none have returned so I’d continue to drive normally. Clear the codes and go about your business of enjoying the car!

Yep, all seems fine :+1::sunglasses:

400mbps ! Not in Australia LOL, we wish ! most homes are running 20 and 50 is considered fast

If you happen to be in a suitable location and have the right type of connection it’s possible to get up to 200 but very very few people or businesses would have that