Let's talk turbos. (review and discuss)

It seems that many b5 s4 guys judge turbos based off which tuner is marketing the turbo, the dyno sheet, and ¼ mile times. Here is a turbo review more from a driver’s point of view.
I have actually driven/ logged/ tuned k03, k04, FT, 605, 770, gt25, rs6’s, and pte 6265 on a b5 s4. Not sure if this will give me any “street cred” but here is my review. I’m not selling anything, just stating from a driver’s perspective how these turbos “feel” to drive.
Much of this has been said before, just not all in one place. Let’s have an intelligent discussion, no that turbo sucks, or this tuner sucks.

k03- Stock turbo which may or may not last on any tuned file. Great tq down low and will put a smile on your face if you mash on it in 6th gear on the highway. A strong stage 2+ setup should run about 12.8 @110. I had a buddy go 12.38 @ 114 on 93+meth. Of course, the JHM 12.28 run on race gas is the record holder.
(pretty sure about the trap) I believe high 11’s to 12 flat is possible on race gas or e85. of course these won’t last long on a file that runs low 12’s @22-23 psi. My buddy Dave’s lasted 6k miles with 135k miles total.

k04- perfect street turbo for DD. early tq onset and decent top end makes me happy every time I drive one. Proven time and time again, good for high 11’s to low 12’s. We all know JHM went 11.1 on these with race gas… something no one can seem to replicate. We’ve seen them dyno 360whp+ on ots tunes to over 450whp on e85 and race tunes.

Ft- Again another good DD turbo with early TQ onset. Capable of holding more boost out to redline and good transient response. With the reliability questions out there I have seen some die out of the box and get replaced with no issues, and some have been installed for 10k to 25k miles with no issues. The shaft on these turbos is not as robust as I would like but they seem to work just fine. NOT AN Rs6 or 605 CONTENDER, they simply don’t flow enough. Nice top end, just not in that leauge.

Rs6- Oem turbo with some housing modifications works great on the 2.7t. The Tq onset hits a little later than k04’s but when it hits it’s much harder. I’ve seen these dyno from 450whp on 93 to 550whp+ on e85. The best thing about this turbo setup is the big fat powerband. I consider this a good DD turbo setup. This is also a very potent ¼ mile turbo setup. Good for high 10’s on race gas or e85. I have seen an 11.4@133 run on e85.

HYBRID RS6’s- I’m looking forward to seeing some more info out on these new billet hybrid Rs6’s with bigger wheels and monster top end. We’ve seen the JHM 10.8 run on these recently; managing that time with a throttle body issue is impressive. I have no experience with them yet.

605- The 605 and rs6 drive very similarly. 605’s can hold more boost up top and like a higher Pressure ratio, as has been brought up before by many others. I have seen one 605 turbo blow and get rebuilt 2 times on the same car never having seen over 30 psi. I have seen several sets running flawlessly for many miles. The power band is very similar to the rs6’s but the top end is a little better.

GT2560- This is a laggy setup compared to the rs6 and 605… TQ onset hits around 4k rpms, several hundred rpms later than rs6 or 605. Ball bearing Turbo reliability and top end comparable to 605’s = win in my book. The new gtx models look very promising as well. If you like your insta-spool this is not your turbo unless you have it “billetized,” and even then I’m not sure this setup would be for everyone.

770- I really like this turbo, but it’s not for everyone. Tq onset is a little later than rs6’s but not so bad like a BAT 1.8t. There is still a Big power band even if only reving out to 7500 rpms. This Turbo is a top end monster on the 2.7t. Ball bearing reliability, check. Power does not fall off up top, check. Drives more like a big turbo setup, because it is, duh. This season we should get some good ¼ mile data since we have several of these setups running around now. Not my choice for a DD turbo if you like your insta-spool.

Pte 6265- All I can say is Wow. If you are going to go the single turbo route and you want big top end, here you go. The turbo is laggy on the 2.7t, Tq onset starts around 4k rpms. Once you are in boost you will not want to leave it. Even at 25 psi the turbo just performs. At higher boost expect good things to happen. I plan on playing with this setup some more in the future.

Great review, I was trying to find something like this last night when I saw your choice of 2560’s. Now I’m a bit more educated about these things.

yeah, when you were wondering about them it gave me a little motivation to write something up. Plus after reading about how “this turbo sucks, and that turbo sucks” I figured I’d throw my $0.02 in.

[quote=jonbonjovi]k04- perfect street turbo for DD. early tq onset and decent top end makes me happy every time I drive one. Proven time and time again, good for high 11’s to low 12’s. We all know JHM went 11.1 on these with race gas… something no one can seem to replicate. We’ve seen them dyno 360whp+ on ots tunes to over 450whp on e85 and race tunes.
[/quote]
Nobody can drive like jaybquick…simple.

When he went 11.1 @ 130, DA was killer, he drove it perfectly, and the car ran flawless. He had a full interior, but no downpipes or catback. He ran a very ‘race’ tune…and very strong gas…and killed those K04s not long after.

Since then a customer’s car with a more conservative JHM K04 racegas tune has gone high 11.3 and 11.4 with K04 turbos also at Sacramento…but full interior, full weight, full exhaust, full everything vs. jay’s no exhaust at all and K04 killing file.

jared/snowtrooper (I think) went 11.4 @ 124 mph on pump gas I believe…using hybrids.

Not witchcraft here…just good drivers who actually go to the strip and test the cars. The reason nobody can approach these times (or the reason that is the conspiracy theory promoted with posts like yours) is simple: GUYS IN FAST B5s HARDLY GO TO THE DRAGSTRIP ANYMORE!
They find any excuse possible to not go. ‘Don’t want to break an axle’. ‘Clutch is slipping’. ‘Need new tune’. ‘Got a boost leak’. ‘This car isn’t made for the dragstrip’ etc.

They might go once, on a hot July Friday night…get 2 passes in and suck at it cuz they’re nervous/inexperienced…and go slow because the DA is shit and they went with a full tank of gas and the spare in the trunk beside their golf clubs…and never go back. That’s hardly a comparison point vs. jaybquick or someone, especially if you’re floating a conspiracy theory.

Nice addition judeisnotobscure

For reference. I went 11.2@128 before jquick did it in ko4’s and we modded his car after mine. several others went 11.4/3

I think the one thing I would like to really add to yet another great 2.7T post. Is supporting hardware. If you ask me it seems 90% of the budget minded guys don’t get the right supporting hardware. That can be the difference between a 12.4 and a 11.4 With the 2.7T its the over all package. You get tons of guys who blow big money on turbos and injectors that are 70x bigger then what they need only to never put the money into changing the valves or springs in the heads or getting a proper IC Only to then never get real good results.

If you ask me the RS6-R turbos are the future of the 2.7T platform. Great spool Great top end perfect area under the curve for what everyone that uses the car for a DD would use. However not a dyno queen turbo. Not a 60-120 turbo not built for 30+lbs of boost.

Whoa, I’m not accusing anyone of witchcraft. lol. I simply said no one can replicate that record run… It has stood for years; Same with their k03 record, which my buddy came close to on 93+meth.
In fact I don’t understand why we as the b5 crowd are so against n2o. I have a couple friends who plan on running 770s+nitrous.
can’t remember who said it but this sums it up.
“turbos and nitrous go together like milk and cookies.”

I completely agree about the supporting mods. Many of those turbos I have experience with on several cars except the 2560’s, 770’s and 6265 which i’ve only dealt with once. Only ones without all proper supporting mods were 770’s running ebay fmic and 6265 without headwork/running stock headbolts. Otherwise i have had a pretty well rounded exposure to these with a gambit of supporting mods.

I’m very excited about these new rs6r’s… that 10.8 with messed up throttle body is crazy.
Some of you may know on here and if you can share that’s great. Who is doing the tuning at JHM now?

I also would like to mention the ots single turbo kit that 034 is developing using the 2.8 manifolds.
I’m interested in seeing the quality and pricepoint of a mass produced finished product.

I know you were not saying anything like that. witchcraft I was just adding a matter of fact. I just know few people who got close. Also JHM did have there machine guy go faster then dans 12.2 run on ko3’s.

It is. Its supporting mods supporting more supporting mods.

I agree with the N02 issue. JHM is doing a proper kit much like there 4.2 system. Im excited to see that.

The tuning At JHM has been the same guy from day one. The same guy that helped APR with there tuning for the Supercharger kits and several other companys with there calibrations… He works and calibrates for SVT. I know him very well. :slight_smile:

Lol, just realized I wrote n20 like all the extra nitrogen would do any good.

Nice to see someone is putting together a proper kit for the 2.7t
Plug and play will make it more appealing to the masses. We should start seeing some more 10 sec b5’s with this in the works.

Enjoying the Count’s cryptic-ness lol. Jude it is N2O, just like the laughing gas I use at work… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

My question to the Count as the bloke programming the ECU - putting the not-yet-available RS6-R aside, what would be your chosen currently available turbo for the fastest B5 S4? I’m guessing K04?

Also loving the cookies and milk comment.

lok, well played

you really shouldn’t use that stuff while youre working

lol, thanks… I’m definately not a chemist.
I know of one rs6’ed car that trapped 133. I’m sure there are other turbo setups that would yield bigger traps though.
I think I like this count character… seems like a cool guy.

jhm should hire him to tune

I at least figured that much out… give me a little credit.

just messing with you

what’s with jon bon jovi? Someone else here had a johnny depp avatar…posted something like this…then vanished.

I just really like that song “living on a prayer”
Plus the pic is classic.

Good Review judeisnotobscur

I will put my view on k03 ,
Props : I really like the turbo , fast spool ,excellent transient response down low ,with all the bolt ones its make the s4 a decent and pretty fast car , A correct tune and parts will yield 108-112 mph.
cons : reliability , lack of a better top end.

This is my car complete stock

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/jpsr20det/dynos/stocks4dyno.jpg

Modded
Custom Software
alky injection m7 nozzles
stock piggies ( catless)
3 catback
custom intake
etc

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/jpsr20det/Audi%202000%20s4%20jp/audis4jp.jpg

Next week my car is going to be ready with the gt2560, let you know the review ( Tune by Jfonz)

Regards.

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I’d post in here. Many people compare straight RS6’s to 605’s, saying that 605’s have more top end. I have little experience with either of them, but are 605’s actually comparable to RS6’s? We’ve seen RS6’s trap 130+ and consistently perform, but there just aren’t good times for 605’s. It is because only a couple companies have tuned them? Or are they really not comparable to an RS6, perhaps limited by the fact that they are a direct bolt on? Jude perhaps you can chime in some more on this, as I believe you have done files for both.

Well, I haven’t gotten a chance to do a fully built 605 car and get it down the track. The one I did with rods on pump gas was stolen before we could get it to the track.
I will say the car was plauged with problems, went through 2 turbos, each of them maybe getting in one pull and never seeing over 30 psi. (manufacturing defect, replaced under warranty: cost of labor not covered)
The two good pulls I got out of that car were amazing though, just no data to back it up.

I recently did a stock block 605 car on e85… no track times as the guy is big into street racing.

I also did that pikes peak 605 car, stock block on e85. But that was at altitude and we didn’t 1/4 mile it. I think k04’s or ft’s would have been a better fit for that course as the power band would have let us use 2nd gear in the W’s instead of 1st.

I think 605’s are capable of 130+ trap but i’m not gonna put them on my car just to do it.
We’ve already seen rs6’s do it, as you said merlinsmagic. They are capable and proven.

The Tq onset between the two turbos is very similar occuring very close in rpm. The tials hold more boost to redline, so it’s up to whomever is doing the tuning to make use of it.