LHD Stage1 & 1+ S/C RS4 shortly to be

Yep. I am going to be running it on my JHM stage 1+ supercharged B6 S4. The JHM stage 1+ supercharged RS4s are extremely similar.

Looks pretty cool to me in the below picture. Now finding space for mounting the KC unit will be interesting since it is supposed to be mounted away from the engine heat. It is a tight fit with the intercooler tank in the cowl area and there is little to no room left behind the front bumper so I will have some work to do.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/Jimmybones777/20170420_201606_zpssmfqnuwk.jpg

Jimmy this is a big deal. If you can I think it would be neat to start a solo thread on this to get more really good information. Thanks for posting this up and taking this leap

[quote]Jimmy this is a big deal. If you can I think it would be neat to start a solo thread on this to get more really good information. Thanks for posting this up and taking this leap
[/quote]
Yes please, I have questions but don’t want to polute the OP’s build thread any further.

Rudi, the OP has exactly the same questions as you (actually you can make more educated questions…) so please fire ahead here as you see fit…

I am very interested in this as well and wanted to see the installation and position of the kit and def the results!!!

Yes please, I have questions but don’t want to polute the OP’s build thread any further.
[/quote]

Ok I think that it would be best to make a new thread about this. I will be doing some testing and then I will post up about this probably next week or so.

Ok I think that it would be best to make a new thread about this. I will be doing some testing and then I will post up about this probably next week or so.
[/quote]
Thank you. It will be greatly appreciated.

For those gents that are aware, along with the purchased stage 1+, I am flirting with the idea of a build motor. Would anyone be aware of the parts that make a motor “build”? Pistons, con rods, valves, valve springs?..something else?

I tried talking with Dru from JHM but was told that its not available for customers.

…open for ideas/suggestions as part of this post.

As i am all up for preventive maintenance i am also trying to identify weak motor points which may be affected by the stage 1+. If you have any insight into this please let me know.

Really there isnt much of a need for a built motor. I know JHM is testing on the much weaker S4 motors and maybe by the end of the year JHM will be offering built RS4 motors.

But the RS4 motors have been shown to be quite strong. The things that have hurt RS4 motors are too much boost. The only damage rs4 motors have been from too much boost and since JHM keeps the boost down while getting the hp up I would say your in a good spot.

the other reason I would say to not worry is because JHM tested the stage 1+ for several years before releasing it to the public. Much unlike other companys that make a product and sell it just days after they see it works. JHM takes years and years to test and JHM has pushed the motors to the limit on there stage 3 kits.

JHM has and they do this on every platform. JHM takes the blower puts it on a motor sets the boost and after a year they pull the motor and check the rods and pistons. They up the boost and wait several months and pull the motor and check again. So JHM has already tested the kit and the power they give you to make sure your motor that is already very very strong will hold the power. JHM is the only company that does this so if they offer a kit you should be safe.

Now keep in mind if you have bad or failing injectors or other lingering issues nobody can do anything about that. Make sure your maintantence is up to date make sure you spend the money to make sure the car is in good condition and you should be all set.

Yeah I am aware that they do test their staff on their own RS4 which is great! that is proper R&D.

I am very particular with my regular and preventive maintenance and nothing is out of place.

slightly different type of question, just keeping all in this post. Apart from the 034 rear aluminium sub frame bushings are there any other choices if I dont want to keep the OEM bushings? I want to reduce the whole movement of the rear part of the car and need something stiffer but I cannot find any polyurethane ones. I only found for B5 RS4 but its not the same for B7.

any ideas on products here?

As far as polyurethane, no. There are other non Audi options, but are the same thing essentially. You can find them on the ECS Tuning website. I also recommend their diff carrier inserts.

https://store.034motorsport.com/034motorsport-rear-differential-carrier-mount-bushing-insert-kit-b6-b7-audi-a4-s4-rs4-billet-aluminum.html

MDUBZ knows his stuff and he has one wicked car. I would also say the insert is a good way to go.

Thanks Justin.

There aren’t a ton of options to stiffen the rear end Paladin. I’m running a 29mm Hotchkis rear sway bar, 034 sway bar links, 034 rear upper control arms with spherical bearings, the Apikol rear diff mount with the track density (red) bushing, the 034 rear subframe bushings, and the 034 diff carrier inserts.

There are 3 sway bar options: H&R, Hotchkis, and 034. Any brand will do in my opinion.

There are 2 link options: 034 and Stern. For me, there’s only 1 option, 034. I broke my Stern links probably 20 times with an average lifetime of 5 days.

034 is the only company that has developed the rear upper control arms, subframe bushings, and diff carrier inserts, which is fine with me because they make great products.

There are 3 diff mount options: Apikol, ECS Tuning, or Spulen. Again, I think any will do, they all appear to be very well manufactured. There are also a few polyurethane options that can replace the rubber in the stock mount that I’m not too familiar with. I’m pretty sure there was a group buy here for those not too long ago.

Aside from that, all you can really do is get yourself some adjustable shocks like the PSI Ohlins kit, which I also highly recommend, or some stiffer springs. You definitely get a bit more NVH with all these parts, but I personally love it. Especially when you get the rear LSD, it makes for some very enjoyable spirited driving.

thank you very much gents.

The car as far as the rear is concerned currently has KW clubsport suspension, 034 sway bar and sway bar links. I did order the insert you mentioned (that is doing work instead of getting a full diff mount right?) and all the mounts as recommended by JHM for the stage 1+ installation.

I was …strongly encouraged… not go with the aluminium rear subframe bushings in terms of huge increase in NVH as I am not tracking the car

for the front I am using H&R sway bar, KW clubsport suspension, upper adjustable control arms and waiting on the lower density line kit as well.

It is just that I am feeling the rear end slightly womble in fast S-bends and that was the reason I was looking to change these rear subframe bushings and I also had a custom built rear strut bar made which I will be installing once the mounts are changed. I will try as an experiment to buy new OEM rear subframe mounts and fill them in with a specific two composite glue. it will harden the mount while maintaining some of the elastic properties of the OEM mount (reduced of course, but that is what I am looking for). Will keep you updated on this.

what tyres do you use? I am currently on dunlop sportmaxx but if I send you pics of them you will see that they fold almost to the middle of the side wall. I really need some harder side walled tyres! I am on 255/35/19 but I read that I can fit 275/30/19 on the OEM 19" rim. any recommendation on this?

Jimmy, where did you mount it? I have the stage 1+ and there’s no room for anything else unless i were to ditch the windshield washer bottle or something. As im running with high temps do you know if you can use the AC as normal at the same time?
Thanks in advance
James

[quote]Jimmy, where did you mount it? I have the stage 1+ and there’s no room for anything else unless i were to ditch the windshield washer bottle or something. As im running with high temps do you know if you can use the AC as normal at the same time?
Thanks in advance
James
[/quote]
Hi James,
Would be interesting to see where Jimmy mount his, but to answer you other questions. Yes, you can run the AC at the same time as per normal however if you include the add on “Drag Option” valve/solenoid the AC will shut off the feed to the cabin for as long as the drag option is enabled.

Jimmy will hopefully be doing a seperate thread on his install hopefully when done.

Cheers Rudi

I’m running 265/35/18 on 18x9 wheels on my S4. 275 is a bit much I think, but it can be done. I love my Michelin PSSs, they’re great when it’s dry and raining.

Don’t want to step on Jimmy’s toes again, but I know he’ll want to help out so I’ll just go ahead and save him some time by sharing what his current plan is. He’s gonna mount it off to the side of the core support on the driver’s side of the car. Here’s a quick mockup.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/ad0d5d39300d17a93b553e7f91492fc6.jpg

Knowing Jimmy, I’m pretty sure he’ll have a nice diy writeup when he does install it.

Amazing!!! I was kinda breaking my head to think where that kit could be placed and no I haven’t thought of that area!

really looking forward to that new post on the KC.

It will probably get a little more complicated with the intercooler as you can see.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/45bc28499e8f0ee80f7ec1e22792ceb2.jpg

You are actually making it easier for me since today has been interesting to say the least. I haven’t installed the KC unit yet because personal life got in the way earlier in the week but I did a quick mockup as already pictured.

The KC unit is roughly the size of a loaf of bread but taller. I couldn’t find anywhere else to put the thing without removing a lot of components. Since the majority of people here (other than MDUBZ and I) have RS4s then the fan control module is attached to the top of the crash bar so it is out of the way. The S4 guys have it mounted on the lower left side of the AC condenser normally so that is why it is moved in the below picture. Then when using the KC unit, it replaces the heat exchanger or that black thing on the front of the AC condenser that is in MDUBZ’s below picture. That will make life slightly easier bit this is still going to be a tight fit.

Hi James,
Would be interesting to see where Jimmy mount his, but to answer you other questions. Yes, you can run the AC at the same time as per normal however if you include the add on “Drag Option” valve/solenoid the AC will shut off the feed to the cabin for as long as the drag option is enabled.

Jimmy will hopefully be doing a seperate thread on his install hopefully when done.

Cheers Rudi
[/quote]
Cheers Rudi,

I think there’s a few of us waiting to see how Jimmy does it. In an ideal world id like to use it both chill the cabin and the engine. Also which option is the one to go for? The A4 turbo version or the universal; whats the difference between the 2?

James