looking seriously at a 2016/2017 C63 AMG base model

While we wait for Audi to release the B9 A4/S4/RS4, I’ve been keeping an eye on Mercedes. Last year I test drove their C400 4MATIC offering, which is a nice car but has some turbo lag, sluggishness in the transmission, and doesn’t sound particularly great. I don’t think the C450 will fix any of that. The C63 AMG is a car everyone should take note of because it feels like a logical continuation of the E90 M3 with the V8 - if blindfolded you’d think you were in a new iteration of that car with a lot of attention paid to ride quality. I’d say the suspension is perfect except when braking, where it needs a second to compress the front end before the car starts arresting (rear rebound not great for braking either). Otherwise it can effortlessly go from gliding over crappy pavement to using all of the lateral grip on good pavement without any driver intervention or mode switching.

For $69,300 MSRP and or about $64,000 with incentives you can get a really top notch road car. It’s important not to think of this as a track car because you’ll spend $20,000 on options and upgrades you don’t need. The sedan in base trim is a total sleeper, whereas the forthcoming C63 coupe has the wheelbase lengthened and the fenders pushed out over an inch on either side of the car and takes on a DTM look.

What surprised me the most is that the MCT transmission is excellent at all speeds. In Sport mode it has effortlessly fast shifts, and in Sport+ mode it has brutal shifts that thunk the whole driveline in a hamfisted sort of way.

The V8 basically has no turbo lag and responds just as quickly as the 3.0TFSI does. The demo car I drove didn’t even have the $1250 sport exhaust and it was quite loud. If you buy this car you really are buying it for the engine. Even an idiot like me could do an 11.9 1/4 mile in this car.

look forward to you selling it after 6 months when you realise it’s the opposite of everything you’re always crowing about that a car needs to be

It’s a safe, conservative looking sleeper. The only unknown is how reliable it would be in terms of dealer service visits. To be clear, I would never take this car on a track. I consider this car to be a a Macan S alternative. My only requirements are LED headlights, Apple CarPlay, 400+ HP, seating for 4 adults. The A6 Prestige with nice seats is about the same price but clearly trades off interior room for sport/agility.

http://i65.tinypic.com/insql1.jpg

MY15 and MY16 have a serious problem with the dash creaking in nearly all of the C63 cars. Ugh. My 2006 325i had that problem. I can’t even.

I feel like the Saki of the C63 world, there was basically nothing that the new C63 did for me any better than my 2013 did. I read all the reviews too, but inside, and a quick drive this summer did nothing for me. And the big V8 is a beautiful thing.

11.9 @118 at the strip bone stock, and only 2 seconds slower than my fully suspended NSX at my local track, even with the stock yokos. And lap times aside, for pure track hoonery like you see in Top Gear or //Drive, it can’t be beat.

On a Mustang dyno:

2016 C63 @ 370whp
2016 C63S @ 400whp

2016 C63 Renntech Stage 1 @ 455whp
2016 C63S Renntech Stage 1 @ 455whp

Yes because dynos matter for determining the best tuner.

/2004 mentality