Mama said buying a S6 is like a box of chocolates!

You never know what you’re going to get.
Just thought I would give my experience after acquiring a 2007 S6.
I got the car through a friend who owns a small car lot, selling performance cars. he got it in as a part exchange and let me have it at cost. Nice and cheap but with no mechanical checks. Sold as seen.
I knew to a degree what problems there may be but on the surface you never can tell.
It drove okay but had a little misfire on throttle pickup, whatever gear I was in and at whatever speed.
First thing I did was to put it up on the ramps.
Custom exhaust fitted, bonus. But evidence of a slight oil leak.
So it was time to investigate further.
Inspected the engine bay and as everyone knows, you can’t see much under the bonnet (hood for US friends).
I decided to go in, intake manifold off, ports gunked up with carbon.
The intake manifold had been taken apart and yep, full torque flap delete. Not only that but when the previous owner put it back together he used gasket maker everywhere.

But while he was there didn’t check the injectors, fuel rails or anything that was accessible at the time. It looked like the injectors hadn’t been removed ever.
I removed them and sent them off for high pressure flow testing and cleaning, new metal filters etc. Six of the injectors were below 50% flow. It amazes me that it ran at all, three were not reparable. So now they are all rated the same with the same output.
The oil leaks.
One was coming from the base of the oil filter housing which was running into the valley and then down the motor. The other was coming from the rocker/valve covers. Pretty easy fixes.
Once again why would you not do this while you have the intake manifold off. While I was in there I replaced the o rings I could access. Solenoids etc.
Things that you may as well do while you’re there. Now waiting for the injectors to be returned and the rebuild can begin.
So the point is that not knowing what or how the previous owner has looked after the car can be a bit of a lottery. As the is only so much you can check visually.
Not one regret as I love this motor.