Mini Cooper Countryman

Alright gents, school me on the following model:

Mini Cooper Countryman (Base/JCW/S/SA4)

The wifey is looking to replace her godawful Murano. I personally hate that car and its CVT transmission, like I want to drive into a jersey wall, flip it, crawl out, set it on fire, piss on it and then launch a STINGERII rocket at it! She’s currently stuck on the Prius Hybrid hype about better gas efficiency in regards to MPG and environmental friendliness, which I’ve told her is utter bullshit! I even had her sit down and watch Jeremy Clarkson do a road test comparison to the M3 on Top Gear…she still didn’t buy it.

Anyways, the above suggested car is the CLOSEST I can get to swaying her away from the Prius. My question(s) are:

1. Reliability - in comparison to Audi, reliable or forget about it?
  2. Maintenance - in comparison to Audi, reliable or forget about it?
  3. DIYness - in comparison to Audi, easy or pain in the ass, screaming FOUR LETTER words for days?

The prius mileage stuff isn’t hype. It’s legit.

The problem is in order to achieve that mileage Toyota have to:

A) build the the car like it’s made out of paper so that it’s light. Unfortunately it will rip in two when an SUV hits you
B) spend absolutely fuck all on anything comfort or luxury related
C) charge you as if you’re buying a much nicer car (there goes your fuel savings)
D) have the government give toyota some of my tax dollars to subsidize the exorbitant cost of making a battery that effective (over and above the usual industry /jobs in our state/province bribes)
E) kill the environment in the process (nickel mining is insanely pollutive)

Of you want a comfy, cheap car that is insane on fuel efficiency get a VW with a diesel, or get a Chevy Cruz diesel. If you’ve never bought an American car new, you’re in for a whole new experience regarding rebates and discounts!

The mini is made by BMW so there are some good parts in it. Not a great car but its far better then the POS toyota.

1 more reliable but the cars are not made as well.
2 about the same maybe a little more. The BMW parts added to the mix are a pain and if you push the car too hard it will kick on every warning light possible
3 about the same maybe a little easier. It depends on the motor you get and the year.

If she wants to hug trees and believes that global warming crap. Tell her two things.
1 it snowed in Wyoming today and
2 the VW diesel will CRUSH the toyota in emissions and mileage. Those cars are amazing the diesel VW’s. Safe cars good solid motors not easy to work on but you really never have to work on them.

Any chance of a mk7 golf? My mum just got one and I spent some 400 miles driving it. Excellent little car with the 1.8t engine, got 7L/100km on the long drive. Handling is like a mini-Audi, looks good, decent quality interior (considering the price). Great for booting around town, practical.

Dude get her in a TDI Passat, Jetta, or golf if she wants efficency. They still look great and are well built.

I will also recommend a Ford Fusion and I can link you to a dealer very close by with great deals. (my sister just bought one about 6months ago and drove down from Pittsburgh because the deal was untouchable by her local dealers)

+1 on the fusion. Bigger than the other cars suggested.