Mother says clean your FSI fuel injectors

[quote=“koolade9,post:20,topic:7982”]

[quote=“komseh,post:16,topic:7982”]
That’s a negative.

you did the swap…what was the result? Problems solved?

The throttle body has 2 potentiometers responsible for sending back the angle and they need to agree. If they don’t then you get limp mode - that’s an issue my car had when I bought it. Whilst not impossible it seems unlikely that the Tb could send flawed data in a way that would not trigger an ECU failsafe mode.

I do have less than perfectly smooth idle and rough running on very cold mornings so I’d like to get new injectors in. I just don’t want to get the intake manifold off without also doing a carbon clean and I haven’t yet established that it can be done near here.

Fly me out to Moscow and I’ll do it for free :). I’ll bring the tools.

For shits and giggles I’ll check the flights if you tell me the nearest airport :smiley:

CLT, I could make it in early December.

A good month to work outdoors in Russia. :smiley:

Taking care of the flight itself seems financially viable for me actually. But you’d need a passport with a Russian visa in it (tourist one is easy but you’ll need a Russian consulate for it) and not starve or freeze when you get here.

I’m assuming it’d be too much of a hassle for you in practice. But in case you want to follow up, my email is my username here at gmail. Have no access to the PM function here ::slight_smile:

Wow great stuff in this thread. Rs4 guys have been replaceing there injectors for years due to all kinds of issues from misfires to pinging issues due to failure from low flow. This thread just confirms that and helps give the solution to loads of little issues the RS4 guys can see. Great for you awesome post

I’ve had audible pinging and these are my current values, all this with a carbon clean, new spark plugs, 4 new 02’s, new air/fuel filters, JHM fullback catless, intake Mani spacers, all within the last 25kish. In about two weeks I’ll be able to park the Audi in my new garage, so I will be able to get the injectors out and over to be rebuilt and flow tested.

Engine1

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/28/6312458ff10f4a73449d20a5d3dd73a0.jpg

Engine2

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/28/23239acf1610bf25550cd403e02053d9.jpg

Ozcar, Your long term fuel trims look fine. They are well within spec and the variation between the banks is only 2.4%. Bank 2 is SLIGHTLY lean, but I don’t think it’s lean enough to indicate a fueling problem. It may be possible that bad spray patterns could cause the pinging though.

Did you reset your codes or ECU recently before you took this snapshot of group 032?

Can you log groups 33, 106, and 140 at idle, 1500rpm, 2500rpm, and at the rpm you get the pinging for 15 seconds each on both banks? That will give more info about the fueling performance.

Also, how old is your MAF and have you logged your MAF rate recently?

ECU has not been reset for quite sometime, and I was daily driving her for 5+ months.

Im just heading to the dog park so I should be able to snag something shortly. And the MAF would be the original one, and hasn’t been logged either.

Edit* also pinging doesn’t happen at idle, always feels like it’s at tip in and out of gear changes, if I bog the motor and romp it, I would only audibly be able to hear it around the 25xx-3k rpms

Pinging at only a 500rpm window seems unusual. Are you sure this sound is pinging from the engine and not a drivetrain rattle?

100% sure it’s pinging. It’s only audible in that range, and once again around 5-55xxk. At those rpms are the only times I can hear it audibly, but I haven’t noticed since the weather has cooled down but it’s been an ongoing issue for me, slowly been working it out. Car still pulls a bunch of timing in good conditions so I still have an issue somewhere, which I’m thinking the cause is the injectors as I’ve just about replaced everything else.

Yeah i would say MAF and fuel injectors are the easiest maintenance items you have left. Hopefully one of those knocks it out.

If your going with the injector idea the conditions your talking about with a high load lower rpm would be when the injectors would show signs of issues. The LTFT data is helpful but the range of lean conditions in each cylinder wont be obvious at low conditions. I believe from what I have seen stuff like missfires are just close to pinging issues where its an injector or 02 issue. Generally the 02s go bad but dont offer up a code. The 02s go bad and they effect the fueling causing missfires and in some cases pinging.

as shown in the RS4 investigation thread stock cars show pinging issues. It would be interesting to see how your instant fuel correction is at the same points where your car would have ping issues

Alright, I did this and my numbers are 0.0% for both banks. Is this possible?

How long did you drive the car for. Its not very usual to see that

If you reset your fault codes or unplugged your battery you will read 0% until you drive the car enough.

Makes sense. Will check again on weekend. Thanks.

Ok, here are some numbers:

Address 01: Engine (8E1 910 560 A)

22:09:34 Group 032: Lambda Control (Mixture Adaptation)
1.4 % Adaptation (Idle) Bank 1 Sensor 1
3.5 % Adaptation (Partial) Bank 1 Sensor 1

22:09:34 Group 033: Lambda Control
0.0 % Lambda Control Bank 1 Sensor 1
1.48 V Sensor Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1

22:07:58 Group 103: Fuel Injection (Fuel Pump Adaptation)
1.94 bar Current Fuel Pressure
653 Fuel Pressure Regulator
288 Adaptation Value elect. Fuel Pump
Test OFF Fuel Pump Adapt. Status

22:07:58 Group 106: Fuel Injection (Fuel Pressure)
3.38 bar Fuel Rail Pressure
OFF Electrical Fuel Pump
655.35 s Shut-Off Time

22:07:58 Group 140: Direct Injection
164.8∞ Quantity Valve (N276) Clos. Angle
26.42 bar Rail Pressure (specified)
3.37 bar Rail Pressure (actual)
00 Quantity Valve (N276) Status

Address 11: Engine II (8E1 910 560 A)

22:12:18 Group 032: Lambda Control (Mixture Adaptation)
2.2 % Adaptation (Idle) Bank 2 Sensor 1
-5.5 % Adaptation (Partial) Bank 2 Sensor 1

22:12:18 Group 033: Lambda Control
0.0 % Lambda Control Bank 2 Sensor 1
1.50 V Sensor Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1

22:10:56 Group 103

22:10:56 Group 106: Fuel Injection (Fuel Pressure)
3.34 bar Fuel Rail Pressure
OFF Electrical Fuel Pump
655.35 s Shut-Off Time

22:10:56 Group 140: Direct Injection
164.8∞ Quantity Valve (N276) Clos. Angle
26.42 bar Rail Pressure (specified)
3.34 bar Rail Pressure (actual)
00 Quantity Valve (N276) Status

I have had some other issues:

000136 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0088 - 001 - Too High - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 71
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 111628 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 3630 /min
                Load: 22.3 %
                Speed: 49.0 km/h
                Temperature: 69.0∞C
                Temperature: 17.0∞C
                Absolute Pres.: 840.0 mbar
                Voltage: 13.716 V

As well as some catalyst insufficiency codes.

Interpretation please, and let me know if what other info might be needed. Thanks.

musanoadsaba:
Interesting, fuel pressure was detected as too high 71 times since you last cleared your codes. Groups 103, 106, and 140 need to be logged while the car is running to get accurate values. Can you log those at idle, 1500rpm, and 2500rpm for 20 seconds each? Let’s see the other fault codes as well.

I’m leaning towards faulty fuel pressure regulator as the cause since that controls fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Possibly a faulty fuel pressure sensor. Proper logs will help narrow it down. I wouldn’t drive the car hard until this issue is resolved.

You can also check fuel pump adaptation:

https://i.imgur.com/ftXA77r.png