My 2013 Audi TT-RS Build Thread…

Finally hit 1K miles on the car so I decided to tune it… Was going to go right to stage II but decided I would take one step at a time… Also, not sure why but I wrote 93 tune instead of 100 tune so I have the 93 tune since switching is not ready… I requested to beta it for them but they simply said it wasn’t ready… I didn’t go to Arin as I don’t like to work that way and I trust if they needed people beta testing it they would have given it to me, so it is what it is… Anyway, when I go stage II if it isn’t ready I’ll go to 100 most likely…

Got the ECU back yesterday put it in and as expected the car started right up… Had a rough idle for a second or two but then went fine… I kept the cold startup… Only took a 10ish mile drive, 5 of which was to get it warm enough to do some pulls… I would have driven it more but had a fantasy football draft to go to… So anyway, the proverbial butt dyno was very very impressed… The APR site says the tune at peak delta adds 76HP and 95TQ and man can you feel it… The turbo spools so damn quick now… Mid range is the most notable as I expected based on what others have said and the dyno charts that APR has posted… There also used to be like a soft redline that would cut some power at 6800 which feels like it’s removed and redline is now a solid 7100RPM… Throttle response and feel is also much better and it feels as if the car is easier to drive, I know that sounds weird and it may be in my head… I got on it a little around a turn and felt some torque steer so I’m going to have to do the haledex tune soon… lol Overall, my initial impression is very good… I’ll drive it some today when I get home and if the weather is nice Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I’ll do a bunch more driving and take some logs… I may hit the TNT next Wed. depending on work and weather… Can’t wait to make some passes so I can get the true results… I’m late to the game on this as most owners have already been here and done this but figured I would share and I’ll keep this updated as I progress!

that’s funny that you accidentally a pump gas tune

Looking forward to seeing it rip.

What you said about easier to drive makes a ton of sense. Aftermarket tunes for the most part will seek to eliminate the mushy laggy stock throttle mapping, and it makes it so much easier to drive. The pedal reacts right away to a throttle blip for a rev match etc. At the strip after driving my stock RS4 for a few months, I drove Axel’s B7 S4, and another time tried bangoman’s B6 S4 Avant to feel his clutch, and it was a pleasure to feel the responsive throttle of the JHM tune.

Well it’s definetly my fault… I have several old APR order sheets printed and my house since my ECU for the S4 has made so many trips! LOL Anyway, I grabbed one and it has check boxes for the various octane levels, valet mode, security, etc. I checked the stock, 93, 100, and wrote in 104… I don’t want security or valet… Then in the comments I wrote something to the effect of if program switching isn’t available just give me 93, which is where I screwed up… I did it in haste the morning before I left for the office as my wife was going to take the package to the UPS store… I then followed up via email to APR and they replied with switching isn’t available so I left it at that not realizing I had wrote 93… Just not sure why I wrote 93 but I’ll use I hadn’t had my morning coffee as the excuse… LOL! It is what it is…

I’ll try to get my brother to go with me to the track so we can at least see some shaky out of the car vids and I now know how to tape from within the car as I attach the gopro to my helmet not the side window… On this car I want those vids bad so I can perfect my launch RPM given it being a stick car… Hopefully, I can get in enough seat time and street launches so I can make some good passes if I go on Wed. since I usually only get a couple… Most of the Sat.'s in Sept. have events and I am going to Pitt. this Sat. I may hit up Norwalk on a Friday if the weather cooperates…

lol

Ron - thnx for posting that awesome write-up on your Stage I tune! Sounds like it really makes a difference, and I can’t wait to see how it performs on the track.

This is going to be the ultimate TTRS build thread when all is said and done. Hopefully it will bring even more people to the forum.

With all the Stage III cars hitting the strip figured it was time to see how my RS does on the stage I tune and pump… As I posted I went 12.79 100% stock in a shitty DA… Today was a big event and they weren’t allowing hot lapping so I made two passes and bailed…

Car: 2013 Audi TT-RS - 6-speed, 1,150 miles, 1/2 tank of gas, full weight, stock air pressure in the tires

Mods: APR 93 tune, 93 Shell gas

Conditions: 56F, 57% humidity, 30.18 BP or a DA of 1,134 for the first pass and 59F, 49% humidity, 30.18 BP or a DA of 1,333 for the second… Good conditions but not great…

I’ll be honest I was hoping for a 12.3x or better given the conditions and I’m still learning how to launch the car… lol I think I did ok?
Got a nice first clean first pass and the launch felt strong… Sure enough
1.6748 60ft time
5.0614 330ft time
7.8154 1/8 ET
90.45 1/8 MPH
10.1833 1000ft time
12.1629 1/4 ET
114.75 1/4 MPH

Needless to say I was pretty stoked as I didn’t expect to run so well… Who needs DSG by the way:)
So then I waited about 2 hours and got another pass… Didn’t think I would do as well since it had warmed up a little…

Another nice clean pass but I felt a slight bog on the launch but still knew it was a good pass…
1.7060 60ft time
5.0645 330ft time
7.8008 1/8 ET
90.65 1/8 MPH
10.1509 1000ft time
12.1227 1/4 ET
115.34 1/4 MPH

Overall, very happy with the car and glad I was able to be consistent given it being a 6-speed car… Will do the downpipe soon and return to go 11’s on pump… Here are the slips and 1 video from outside the car… Of course it’s shitty since it was my brother taping and he didn’t get half the first one, sigh… I also have gopro’s but they are upside down, is there a way to invert them? I’ll play around with them and post if I can fix them…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTm0roUcCnU&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTmNPO4ySys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BaaPfM6OAY

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/Concord-20130914-00753_zps4f3b2973.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/Concord-20130914-00754_zpsbf6e3c64.jpg

Wow… That’s mental! I find that more impressive than the stage 3 car if you an believe it. That’s a car you can roll off the highway on the way home and go straight to threatening the 11s at the strip. Awesome prime.

How long till your b8 is for sale?

Nice work, PT! And now we know for real that you can bang gears :wink: lol j/k. how do you find the haldex setup - does it feel more like FWD or RWD? Just curious

Saki, Thanks I really appreciate the nice comments… For me it’s all about having fun and sharing… I can almost guarantee with better DA I could come even closer to 11’s and on race gas/tune it’s probably got an 11.8x in it as it sits…

As for the B8, it’s not going anywhere… LOL I’m chomping at the bit to drop the 10K or whatever for the new blower just need APR to let me buy it… If anything to please the wife I’ll dump the A4 and VW and daily this and p/u the R8 V10+ soon…

Bango, Thanks man! Honestly, I probably have 3,000 passes in stick shift cars but mostly my old mustangs… It’s so much easier with AWD and I think I can get an even better 60ft time but I worry about the drivetrain and such as it hooks extremely hard… I’m trying to fix the gopro’s and you can see my driving skills! LOL I’m not quite Pete but I do ok ;D

The haldex has been a pleasant surprise to be honest… At the strip it feels good and hooks hard… On the road and railing turns it has some tq steer and feels more FWD but not too bad… Will probably do the HPA haledex tune but will see… thanks again!

P. S. That’s an epic shaky video right there :slight_smile:

You should see the other one, sigh… I’ll upload it… Trying to fix the gopros first…

Figured that gopro vid out… updated with one and will have another shortly…

Ron epic runs!

Honestly those numbers are spectacular…

Looks like a tune only TTRS is basically as fast as a full bolt on stage 2 B8 on pump. Amazing!!

Great launch and awesome shifts. Honestly all this TTRS is getting me excited, can’t wait to pick one up when my lease is over…

If you haven’t seen, 034 makes a downpipe, intercooler, secondary cat bypass and an intake for a really really reasonable price. Make something to think about?

Full bolt ons and race gas I think you can really hit 11.4-11.5 range without a doubt.

I think we need to find a track that’s somewhere in between our locations and all meet up sometime from now to December. Would be an epic time…

Pete, Thanks man! I would probably give a slight advantage to the bolt on stage II B8, but it’s close… Such a different feel from a power delivery and driving standpoint… Much funner experience even at the strip as it’s so much more invloved to row the gears vs dsg… I was happy with my consistency albeit only 2 passes…

Yeah, leaning toward the 034 DP as the next mod but may try just 100 tune and race gas first… Have to send the ecu back though as switching is not ready yet… Will go with the APR IC as I like the design very much and I am sure it works well… I’ll change or not change the rest of the exhaust based on how the car sounds with the DP, probably start with the secondary cats… Intakes haven’t proven much from what I have read but may do the APR just for looks… LOL

I would love to meet up and dragrace especially if there was a bunch of us like you guys did in NJ before… Hoping Jeff still comes to meet me at Thompson in Oct. Saki is talking about something in Canada so will see what happens there… If I travel it will be with the B8…

Prime that’s just ridic. That’s so impressive from a car you simply drove in and staged. Congrats.

Even with your brothers legendary video. I can see how well it hooks…then it spins a bit at the rear but nothing bad…curious if you played with pressures or not.

See the hook, consider the reasonably stiff springs…wow!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/6etanu7e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/aryvyzus.jpg

Prime, I’m curious about your plans. I can’t see you being happy as the fastest stage I/II. I haven’t heard about you hitting the circuit so I don’t believe that your build would be geared that way. I think if you don’t go stage III really soon, and run with the big guns like the car in the 10s, the platform may bore you and you’ll want out. My (unsolicited lol) opinion, for you, is the sooner you stage up and be the fastest TTRS, the better, before the truly ridiculous and unstreetable builds come along. I can see you being happy with a mid-ten street car that will terrorize GTRs, but not happy as the fastest stage I.

Does anyone know definitively what went in to the car in England? It’s easy to say ‘run with the big guns like the car in the 10s’ but I would confidently guestimate that the UK car has about $30,000 in mods to that thing. Stage 3 is $12,000 to start…then you have periphery mods like exhaus, clutch, LW wheels etc. You’re looking at $20,000…and then he has an engine build on top of it. All custom. That’s a $100,000 TTRS

If Primetime has his eyes on an R8 5.2 I would save the $100,000 on the crazy TT build, and buy a 2 year old R8 5.2, put $5,000 into it for tune/decat/exhaust and enjoy the equivalent of an R8 V10 plus…125 MPH traps and one of the coolest cars ever made.

edit: these damn R8s don’t want to depreciate! $110,000 should be good though.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33458&endYear=2010&modelCode1=R8&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=100005834&startYear=2010&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=0&mmt=[AUDI[R8[]][]]&listingId=351455635&listingIndex=15&Log=0

J, Thanks man! Also, thanks for the photos pretty cool to see… As for the air pressure my intent was to tweak it but I forgot my gauge at home… Obviously, could have borrowed one but figured I would just run it as is… I did check when I got back home and the fronts were 39R 40L and the rears were 38R and 38L… So probably a little more in it 60ft wise with lower pressure… as you noted there was slight spin on that pass and the first one did feel a little better…

As for the car, I really do want to roadrace it but haven’t yet… I am very tempted by the stage III setup but enjoy modding it slowly and seeing the results… I also worry about the current clutch solutions as I won’t run the setup APR recomends because it isn’t very streetable IMO… 034 has one in the works so will see how that goes… If I go stage III the downpipe gets changed which is why I have been hesitant to spend 1K on one to have to resell for pennies on the dollar… I may just do the intercooler from APR and some LW rims this year and try the race gas tune… Will make a decision in the next week or so… LOL

Saki, Here is what Arin posted… Definetly more than just stage III… Based on what I saw from the redline car I think I could do better on race gas but that is just IMHO… As for the R8 I am on the lookout and search AT all the time… I’m really hoping to catch one where someone needs to dump quick for cash… I won’t by R-tronic and actually prefer a new s-tronic but given they just came out won’t get a deal on that… lol So I either buy a 6-speed or wait… I’m patient and will own one sooner or later…

Calibration
Production APR Stage III Calibration with more ignition because of head (Down 45 HP with production file and ported head).

• Boost - Same as APR Stage III Standard Production File.
  • Lambda - Same as APR Stage III Standard Production File.
  • Ignition - +4 degrees brought power back to standard APR Stage III with stock head. The head allowed for an additional 4 degrees of ignition advance beyond this, resulting in more power.
  • Everything - Same as APR Stage III Standard Production File.

Exhaust
Jonny has an APR RSC Exhaust System. He’s removed the mid muffler, which is straight through containing no baffles (No power difference, just sound). He has not given me any information indicating his catalyst is removed.

Intercooler
He’s using someone elses intercooler system. It’s not a force race intercooler. I have not heard of them.

Head
Race Developments UK ported the head as I’ve indicated in the original post. It has the stock valve train. I’m also lead to believe it’s a mild port as we’ve seen on other platforms “massively porting,” as you’ve put it, can decreases velocity and reduces output. I’m working to get more details as this is not a product we sell.

Displacement
Stock displacement is 2479.1cc (82.5 bore 92.8 stroke).
I don’t have full details on the pistons other than them being CP Forged.
Assuming a .5 mm overbore (A detail not confirmed), results in 30.1 more CC at 2509.2 cc.

Weight
Estimated weight savings - 88 kg
Driver weight - 70 kg
Passenger weight - 90 kg

He has not estimated or weighed the weight difference generated by some heavier than stock items (Intercooler, APR Stage 3 kit, connecting rods, etc).

He did debadge the rear, but he also has an APR badge if I’m not mistaken.

The vehicle also has a full vinyl wrap, window tint, and several items painted black.

Wheels and Tires
Squared SC1 - 18x8.5 / ET35 / 5x112 - Gloss Black
Michelin Pilot Supersports - 245/40/18

Seats
Front - Recaro Pole Position - Black Leather / Alcantara with custom brackets
Rear - OEM - Not removed (I believe they were folded down to get the gopro shot in one of the video links).

Air Conditioning
Condenser still on the car, belt and hoses removed.

Brakes
VBT Race Front/Rear - Brembo GTR - PAGID RS4-2 Blue
VBT Stainless brake lines in the front and rear

Suspension
AST Adjustable Race Coilovers and adjustable top mounts
H&R Adjustable front/rear swaybars
Superpro race bushings

Yeah Sak I agree, $20,000 is quite serious but consider you’ll end up with a 10-sec street car, it’s pretty nutty. With APR id expect to have a reliable consistent machine. You’re putting the car in the same territory as the “arrive and collect 10s” cars like the MP4/12C, 997TT S, and beyond the reach of the R8 v10 or the Italia, built Z06s and ZR1s.

But yes I agree with you Sak on the R8. Driving a supercar is a different ball of wax. Its a special drive every trip, every day. It’s bought for a purpose, for most it’s just showing off at the luxury mall parking lot, for the appreciating few it’s actually getting out for spirited drives alone or with others, or out at the occasional track day. But a drag strip regular, its not. Consider the thought of frying an R8 clutch or other ‘parts’…ouch…it makes the stage III TTRS look bloody affordable.

Prime, totally you’d love being at the circuit in the TTRS…I’d personally be skipping the drag strip myself, if it was a straight choice between the two (like it is here at Cayuga)…:slight_smile:

The R8 V10, even as an R-tronic car, is devastating at the road course. The one here was showing its tail to a well-driven ZR1 when I was at Mosport once last year. The sound inside is intoxicating. But yeah, single clutch cars are a little tiring to drive, to me, on a daily basis, I had borrowed the F430 a month this spring. Eventually my neck got used to the rhythm of the shifting, but every once in a while it would surprise me with a long or short shift and it jerks your head again.

If it were me than I would rather a manual R8 V10 over a R-tronic but the new S-tronic should blow both of them away.

Also it is so much cheaper to go faster in a TT-RS over a RS5.