New Smartphone Review Thread

The fingerprint thing is definitely a game changer for systems needing frequent logins. Wish we had it on the ipad for work.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/32799358.jpg

I’ve had lots and lot of iPhones and this will be my last.

Currently using an iPhone 5:
Pro:
-Excepent camera for both pictures and video
-fairly indestructible compared to previous models. I bought apple care and I have yet to. Use it in the 1y6mo I hav had the phone. It’s never been in a case. The metal rim saves the glass from side hits that usually crack the glass
-fast. It can still handle any new app without being laggy like old models.
-iOS 6. See cons below…
-Siri works great for sending texts while you’re driving. Interprets normal ‘lazy’ dialogue very well
-battery was great for the first year

Cons:
-IOS 7. I have not updated my phone because I can’t stand the new interface.
-heat. The device gets pretty hot when you’re using it. Enough for it to be uncomfortable.
-lightning plug. Great idea. But it’s still not supported anywhere besides your own home. That includes very single car on earth. You still have to use adapters for everything. MB still doesn’t offer a ligning plug pigtail
-small screen is small.
-limited in customization of the interface.
-several 50+ year old people flock to them because they’re easy to use. It’s like I own an old lexus sedan.

All the said, I’ve been itching to get a new phone ever since ios7 came out. My next device will likely be a Salaug galaxy S5.

EDIT: Clearly iPhone spellcheck failed me.

I also don’t like the massive screens, but I also don’t generally watch movies on my iphone so I don’t need a larger screen. My biggest complaints with the iphone 5 are terrible battery life, limited user customization, and no expandable memory slot.

I will be disappointed when Apple decides to go to a significantly larger screen size. I have always preferred less cumbersome pocket accessories.

I’ve tried windows phones and while the smoothness is nice, I really like the flexibility that android gives me.

Btw, this video is hilarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-U4Yr9UNBo

The Nokia lumia 920 is a great phone. Great ad too!

galaxy note 3 for the “best” phone out, s-pen is awesome and IMO android is a much better work device with widgets and multi tasking. not to mention the battery life

iphones are great… my grandparents love their new iphone 5s and it does everything that they want with no worries about it breaking and also have great resale value when the new model comes out… personally i would kill the battery in my 5s before 3pm every day.

Blackberry here… Brick breaker rules… We are switching to iPhones, I get mine Tuesday. If I had to pay I wouldn’t have one… Ill leave this thread now… Lol

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 seems to be the way to go. The biggest disappointment with the iPhone, IMHO, is the battery life. It seems like I can barely make it through half of the day without the phone dying. Granted I leave my screen brightness at 100% and that seems to be the main reason it dies so fast, but I don’t think I should need to leave it at 50% for it to get decent battery life because then it’s really hard to see. From what I can tell you get amazing battery life on the Note 3 even at 100% brightness. I think I will be buying the Note 3 next weekend. I’ve read probably 50 long reviews and the only complaints seem to be that the phone is expensive and the fake leather plastic backing is kinda cheap for a $700+ phone. I kind of want to wait for the Note 4 with the octacore processor and 4GB of RAM, but I don’t think I can handle another 9 months of terrible battery life and buggy iOS7 on my iPhone 4s. I should be able to swap out the iPhone cord in my car for the micro USB or whatever it uses for the charger pretty quickly which is the other reason I didn’t want to get rid of the iPhone. So long Apple, for now at least.

i dont see any need for more ram or processing power to be honest, its fast and apps open/close immediately

combine the 32gb internal storage with my 64gb card and i doubt i will ever need more storage space on a phone.

if apple were to make a larger screen, bigger battery (id much rather a phone a tiny bit thicker if the battery lasts) and they put a removable sd slot id be happy.

if anyone ever has any questions lmk as this is what i do for a living.

You’re right about the RAM and processing power, I just like buying the best device out there when it comes time to make the leap. I agree with you about the iPhone too. I have somewhat freakishly big hands haha so the small screen is definitely a big factor in my decision. A thicker phone would just make it easier to hold on to. Thanks for the advice, I’d help you out a little bit with some karma but I’m still waiting for that privilege.

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/45/41/153694/3/628x471.jpg

I switched to Samsung with the Samsung S2 back in early 2012. BoraVR6 filmed my car at the dragstrip in full HD and it blew my fucking mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhGs3NeaQk

Then at dinner I was checking it out and the flawless screen, which was GIGANTIC at the time sold me. Android is great, and since it’s basically stolen from the great iPhone interface, which was stolen from the blackberry interface before it, it works well.

I went swimming with my S2 in my pocket, and took the opportunity to upgrade to a Note. The Note is what I still use today. IT’s excellent, if a little long in the tooth now. My only gripe is that the updated version of SwiftKey doesn’t load as my default keyboard. I’m on 4.1 I believe, and I need to be on 4.3 to fix this.

IF my Note was stolen yesterday, today I would be grabbing a Note 2 or 3. Simple as hell decision

For those scared of the size, don’t be. It slips in your pocket, and reality is that when actually using the phone, nobody ever says ‘I wish my screen was smaller’.

sure, i guess thats what an account executive looks like :slight_smile:

That picture looks like a mother and son maybe they ran out of extras…

A guy at work has the Note 3. It looks great, and performs very well. Seems to get really hot though. It does have the expandable memory slot and has all sorts of connectivity options.

I think IF I were to switch, it would be to a Note. Once Apple goes to bigger screens, the decision will probably be much easier for me to switch but for now I will hammer away at my iPhone until it dies.

At this point apple has me by the balls. At my house, we’ve had over a dozen iphones and ipads since 2007, iOS makes it hard to give up. I am so bought into apple at both home, work, and everywhere else that it would be hard to switch. totally fucked.

Facetime, iMessage - basically everyone I know is on it, even my daughters use our old iphones as data-only so I call them on facetime from anywhere unlimited - they share my data plan for $10/month.

Airplay - I am connected with Airport extremes and Apple TVs, all my home sound is through this. Even the control 4 systems we have are basically a shell for the apple TVs and airport expresses.

If you are on icloud and actually using it on your computer, the simplicity of grabbing your phone or computer or notebook or ipad and having ALL the same things available and your browser tabs and links all there is priceless. And all you had to do was enter your username and password, no setup.

I am willing to live with the little gripes and hardware that is maybe not ‘cutting edge’ for the simplicity and integration. That is what apple is usually aiming for, anyway, not the hardcore tech and gaming crowd.

If they ported iOS to other devices, I’d consider. I actually tried the Android port on my iPhone a long time ago, i think it was Froyo. Kinda sucky but I guess everything has come a long way.

Another vote for the Samsung Note. Ive had my Note 2 for about a year, and love it. Would never go back to a smaller device. Already thinking about the next Note upgrade.

Everything you described sounds like Google

Except having infants with their own phones. That’s very apple.

Some reports are saying the iphone 6 may come out in early summer. A lot earlier than usual, and based on the accuracy of previous reports, it probably won’t. But it was interested to read several sources saying may 2014 and larger screen.