New Smartphone Review Thread

Yeah I doubt that estimated release date is accurate. That’s just Apple fanatics being hopeful. My guess is October/November at earliest.

Everything you describe sounds like a guy with no kids…maybe I shouldn’t give them my old iphones in case they break them hahaha

Not sure how you get all those services to sync to an android phone, i heard airplay can be done, but that’s it.

I’ll be honest. Airplay+appletv+plex is a HUGE reason for me to keep an iphone. I know there are new options like this coming out (chrome cast) and options on android. But that’s a major reason I use my phone because it works. I would enjoy the geek side of tweaking everything on android. But jailbreak gives me enough of that to be content.

In reality, I use my phone (in relative priority) for txting, emails, plex streaming, phone calls, browsing forums via tapatalk, googling drunk arguments.

The key is to get everything so it’s platform agnostic - we’ve got 3 Win7 machines, 3 iOS devices, 3 Android devices and Chromecast as well as a PS3… it required a reasonable amount of geeking out but all devices can play all things - using doubletwist airsync to get iTunes stuff onto Android devices, Netflix on everything and NHL gamecentre Live works on all devices too.

My favourite is firing up Chromecast and using my phone to choose what I want to watch. Then magic happens and it’s on my TV.

No Adrian. Only apple can do that. I love apple. They really are the bee’s knees. Only they can do anything. Did you know they invented earth?

I love my note 2 so much I bought a 10" version plus a heavier pen (bamboo stylus feel). That shit changed my life!

One advantage of a smaller phone is if you use it for music at the gym. My iPhone 4 fits nicely into my arm strap when I work out. Not sure how comfortable a larger phone would be in that regard.

I guess that would be nice. Here’s how you can answer for yourself whether or not it matters:

When Apple introduces a 5" (or 5"+) screen iPhone next fall, are you going to say “I would rather stick with my small phone so I can wear it on my arm at the gym” or are you going to upgrade for the 90 other things that a bigger screen is better for?

This is what I left BlackBerry for. BB was a far better platform for a myriad of important things other than something like “small enough I can wear it at the gym” or “small enough that I don’t look stupid holding it up and talking on it” (that’s the best one yet…insecure much? lol). Blackberry had more efficient data usage, better typing by a light year, BBM was awesome etc. However when you get right down to it and you really think about it, having a massive screen to use your phone as a computer (which is what they’ve evolved into) is far more important. For me that ‘massive’ screen was a 4.25" Samsung S2. Back then Apple people talked mad shit about how gigantic the S2 was. Now the iphones are all bigger ironically.

Don’t forget, the biggest reason people switched to iPhone was for a nice big screen way back when it’s competitor, blackberry, was using a 2.5" diagonal screen with keyboard below it. The Apple iPhone was revolutionary and Apple fanboys and girls all touted having a big beautiful screen as a MAJOR advantage over the BB.

Ironic that now the Apple folks tout having a small screen as an ‘advantage’. I think we all know that if Apple had 5" screens for the past 2 years like Samsung did, Apple folks would be all about big screens. It’s just that Apple’s crazy slow technology upgrade pattern of introducing a new model every 2 years got run over by the equally crazy fast Samsung 6 month cycle (which I think is too much personally and leads to cannibalization of your own market). As a result Apple people (including Apple themselves) were forced to cling to the ‘I want a phone that is small’ thing. Apple ran a commercial, an attack ad against Samsung, where they touted small phones etc. That was 10 months ago. Now that the overwhelming majority of the marketplace is demanding larger format phones, Apple will be forced to eat shit, and copy Samsung…and to slap themselves and their own marketing in the face. It is going to be fun to watch, because the only thing more entertaining in the smartphone world than having a great phone that works is watching the various platform fanboys go berzerk.

If the argument is that bigger is better because it is more computer-like, why not just go with a cell enabled tablet? Why bother with a cell phone at all?

I think at a certain point it becomes less portable

i.e. I don’t have a purse to carry a 9 or 10" tablet in…but I have lots of pockets for a 5.5" phone.

p.s. I have a tablet. It is very dusty. Basically it’s just a photo frame now. My wife and I both have Samsung Note phones (Note for me, Note 2 for her) and the things we used to use the tablet for because our old phones were too small are now done on our phones.

I did know that! Actually, they’re also responsible for the moon that orbits us and keeps everything in balance. What we do without them!!!

Good question Maddy. I will give it some thought.

Bottom line is that Apple’s products and interface are awesome, as are the high end Android devices and Android interface. Anyone who buys into one of these will have something ‘AMAZING’ to quote Mr. Szekely. To me it’s like Canon and Nikon. They’re both excellent and you can’t go wrong either way. There will always be plenty of people to tell you you’re wrong for buying Canon or buying Nikon though. Because they didn’t.

I suppose it all depends on where you draw that line in the sand regarding what you consider portable or not. I personally think a 4" or 5" screen is more than sufficient for ‘portable’ use and if I want to do something that requires a larger screen then I just use a computer, monitor, or TV. I would prefer to invest the resources in making the phone as light as possible, while maintaining strength, and inreasing battery life significantly. But I will readily admit that I am not a heavy user and generally don’t take full advantage of the capabilities of the technology as is.

The majority of the consumer market prefers bigger screens these days. Seems like a few years ago the in thing was to have a tiny phone, then they introduced touch screens and smartphones and everything went a different direction. The fads are often cyclical but this time it could be a bit different.

I will probably upgrade. But I’ll keep the iPhone 4 in case the new model is to big to use at the gym.

Or you could just get an ipod shuffle or nano or something that is only for gym/exercise use…

If you are strapping it to your arm you don’t really need a screen right?

Yeah, exactly. I used to have an Ericsson T28W. It was the smallest, lightest phone and I loved it for that. people would flip out when they saw how small and light it was.

Now I have a Samsung Note lol.

Before they were computers, when they were indeed just phones, small ruled. Now that they’re computers, size matters.

I have to admit. For browsing the web, the ipad mini is about the perfect screen size (not saying THE apple version, I just don’t know what the screen size is, 7" or so I guess). Too big for use as a phone, and too small for real video playback, but perfect for web browsing.

Its funny now people get so polarized. I had a blackberry and went to iphone in the first generation, because at the time it had more capability and people had rooted the device and created apps (all before the app store). I was connecting to my plant network and automation and could basically control everything via VPN back in 2007 or 2008, from my iPhone.

For me, it would be very very unattractive to switch now, a lot tougher than nikon vs canon, which I find easy to switch. I can’t see having to switch all my cloud services, email, and fucking around to get everything to play together. And even worse, there’s no way I’m having to support multiple devices in my house or with the rest of my large extended family, most of whom look to me for advice. That decision carried through at work when I put the proposal in to make sure the process and engineering teams all went through iPhone. Just because it was easier to support and connect them.

When it comes down to it, the last thing I ever cared about is the size of the screen.

This is a weird group here, to me, have so many Android phones. I took a quick look through my recent texts on my personal iphone (not work iphone) and I can tell you the platforms of the 30 or so most recent people I texted.

25+ iOS
6 Blackberry
2 Android
1 non-data phone

of the blackberry people, I also have iMessage chains from 3 of them on their ipads or Macs, and worth noting the Blackberry are the old people in my sample lol…I’m talking 70s old

Why would it be easy to switch Nikon vs. Canon? NOt that anyone said that. But that makes no sense. If you have $12,000 in photography equipment and have used Canon for 9 years, and suddenly switched, that would be very hard. Your workflow would change, The entire system is diferent. You would need to research and repurchase all of your gear. You would lose loads of photos just because you would be slower in using the gear.

This is what oyu’re saying about your phone. You’re in too deep and a switch would be hard. If you want to use the photography equipment example, you saying that it would be easy to switchindicates that you are perhaps a casual photographer and of course that would be easy to switch. You don’t do it for a living. You don’t take flights to destinations around the world to take photos. You are not serious about it. This is how most people are with their phones (not serious about it). At the outset making a choice between Canon or Nikon, or Apple or Android would be pretty easy either way as both platforms are excellent.

As for your unscientific review of your users in your ‘text’ list (who texts? how analog. get whatsapp or something already), your numbers aren’t indicative of anything I’ve ever seen. 2 out of 40 people use an Android? That just shows your sample is either very weird, or you need to add the numbers up again. Or you’re trying to make a point for some reason.

Globally 80% of people have Android devices. Apple is around 13%.

Domestically it’s about 50% Android. Apple are 40%.

I can say that on my what’s app (interplatform messaging program) + text + the 20 most active users are split as follows

8 Android
8 iPhone
4 BlackBerry

Pretty normal, although a little high with BlackBerry numbers because of the still widespread corporate user base here in Canada.

Honestly, Nikon vs Canon is a joke. Absolutely I’m an amateur, the professionals I know have experience in nikon, Canon, Leica, Red, Hassie, whatever…hell a couple of them have incorporated the 4K gopros even. They are pretty much forced to keep up and adapt: the professionals, that is. I find it pretty fascinating how much digital photography changed things in my lifetime. Most of what anyone has learned has changed in the last 10 years and I don’t think Creative Cloud cares what equipment you used.

I’m not making a point, just noting it. I have 2 recent contacts with an android phone, the guy who’s renovating my bathroom right now, and my sister-in-laws boyfriend. I had to go back to way earlier in 2013 to find another, a text convo from some asshole from Oakville earlier this year who I guess has a Note. Friends are all on iOS unless they are still on a BB. My whole extended and in-law family is on iOS with the exception of my father and father-in-law who are BB users. My workplace is iOS, and many others are switching, the guys I ride motorcycles with are downtown bankers and are all switched over, including two at your institution if I remember where you work right. Maybe weird, but true.

Even the ones who hated iPhones have been forced to switch, lol. Like I said, it’s funny how polarized some people become about it, sure, even myself. Most of them learned to deal and not care as much about their phone though. The BB holdouts are the most diehard and their whining can be heard from miles away…:slight_smile:

Anyway, I agree your contact list is more representative of what’s normal, just saying my experience isn’t the same.

oh here you go Sak

http://media.digitalcameraworld.com/files/2012/05/Canon_vs_Nikon_shooting_modes_cheat_sheet.jpg