Official RS5 supercharger thread!

Take a look at this diagram. Notice the alignment pin and the sensor wheel. Those both have to sit in the right place on the new clutch plate to work. There are additional holes on the clutch plate which will interface with the flywheel. So have to make sure those are in the right place too.

From what I can see the alignment hole between both plates is also in the identical place & im not seeing any major differences.

No bearing visible on either plate and the inside measurement of the spline snout are 37mm wide and 25mm depth on both.

This is nuts in the best kind of way! Really excited if this is indeed a possibility. Very inexpensive solution even if you had to buy one new.

Looking at the two components in photos left me with little hope so thank you for taking the plunge and purchasing both for a hands on comparison.

1 Like

I agree what a result that everything lines up and everything has the same measurements ! I really hope that its that simple as a straight swap …result !! Have we an idea on what the RS6 flex plate cost and where best to get one from ?

1 Like

You can find them online used through eBay or new from an online parts or Audi dealer. Costs vary but they’re generally under $100USD.

1 Like

You’re Welcome, and all in all it was a cheap exercise to grab these two plates out of Germany. I will send them off to a shop and have someone else confirm my layman’s results.

Oh wow that cheap this just keeps getting better thank you Michel and thank you Petere for doing this i am excited to see the out come of this and it would not have been possible if it wasn’t for you guys and your knowledge and time ! :+1:

2 Likes

So I’ve had a conversation with JHM about using the lightweight flywheel and also with a prominent VAG DL501 tuner here in Oz ( Polish guy I think ). JHM said the light flywheel would shave off .3 seconds to 60mph. The local guy said in his experience a light weight flywheel has caused gear meshing issues long term for street cars. I feel JHM has the engineering experience to make a quality product but his comments were interesting nevertheless. Haven’t found anyone to test the balancing yet so I’m off to a LS swap shop Monday.

Reading a lot on dual vs. single mass right now. Best place to go is most of the Porsche forums, particularly the GT3’s. We have a harmonic damper on the end of the crank so most likely, some of the potential issues you’re referring to will be handled by the harmonic damper on the end of the crank.

I do know they’ve been making the single mass for other Audis for years now. Increased sychro wear “could” be a possibility but realize it’s the electronics and hydraulics doing the shifting and not relying on an imprecise left foot, LOL.

Theoretically, the transmission should make more noise due to the dual mass not smoothing out driveline power pulses but under load, there’s not going to be any difference, IMO, in gear wear long term.

A lot of the RS3 guys daily drive their cars on the street. That engine is inherently less balanced than a V8 and the car, stock, does not have a harmonic dampers at least on the 997.2 RS3’s.

1 Like

Hmmn.

This vid is super cool too.
https://youtu.be/mCbVd8mMUJw

Maybe the option then would be a higher ratio output shaft of the transmission into the crown gear differential mechanism.

I’ll look up the OEM rear ratio at some point today, just been in coronavirus hell (with everyone else) and that’s sucking up all my time to dive into this. The crown gear is most likely space limited and the ring gear would be the easiest way to make a definite change in gearing. I just don’t know what effect it has on the active diff gears on either output shaft. Audi offers several different rear ratios amongst cars with the active diffs so maybe it has no effect. The RS5 has the lowest ratio though. The S4/5/6 all have a higher (taller) ratio.

Yea the corona virus has greatly reduced work for me. BTW, sorry had multiple pages opened and posted my last comment on supercharger thread instead of final gear ratio thread.

Lol yeah i did think whys this in the supercharger thread ??? It will be interesting to see if changing the ratio’s is possible !

Hey Guys Ali here
Following I will write the tale of the tape as Michael has already told you about it.

1 Like

My eyes must be deceiving me! Glad you made it over here Ali. Looking forward to you chronicling a bit about your current supercharged RS5 setup and what you have coming. I won’t spoil it!

1 Like

Thnx Michael and yes I will write every step down here in the thread to help the RS5 Community :slight_smile:

Hey there Ali welcome ! I would love to hear about your experiences with your SC RS5 it will be great reading I’m sure and it will be interesting to know how living with a SC really is ! Also be good to hear about what you have up and coming can’t wait :grin:

1 Like

Hey guys I am sorry for the late reply.
First of all thank you Michael for the great work. It can be an enormous help to all the RS5 /RS4 owners.

My Ras5 story starts from 2016 when I first bought the car ( well it was love at first sight ) the car was driving smooth ( on stock settings you don’t need to turn of the ESP for quick launches) but I think it’s better to switch it of. The car was 450 HP on papers but I always had a doubt in my mind that it’s a bit slower because my previous car was an OPC Nürburgring Edition ( i still have it even modified now ) the car had 300 hp at that time and only 1.3 tons of weight but the I felt that opc was faster than my RS5. Well I rolling raced once against a bmw m5 and he was faster . Any ways I went to a local tuner and let the car check on the dyno well surprisingly it had 370 HP only . I was shocked well the guy did a new software remap and then I had 50 hp gain and it was 420 ( still slower than the stock ) the insurance I was paying was 1 euro per hp.

That lead me to check for more mods and I found out that in germany there is a tuner called MC-Chip DKR and they offer PES ( whipple) supercharger kits available.

I setted up an appointment with them . They were offering 3 different types of kits ( well before that I have also bought the Capristo exhaust system for more sound as the stock exhaust was completely silent ) .

1. Mc550
  2. Mc580
    3 MC600

I went for the mc580 because it was on sale . The original price was 25000 euros but they were offering it on 15000 .

After supercharger installation I had 170 HP power gain on the stock engine and then I was running approx 530 HP . I went to street games car rally on that and had a lot of fun ( links will be posted in the end of the post )

Well believe me or not I have raced against many sports cars on that 3000 km car rally across the Europe.

I smoked the stock RS7 ( 550 hp pre facelift )
I smoked mustangs, bmw m3,Ferrari California, almost thr same against the ferrari special, and many more . I went almost 320 km/ h top speed. But but but mc chip never told me to modify anything else with the charger kit . Well guess what happened- during the rally my transmission got broken. Went to the nearest audi they diagnosed that Gearbox temp was too high and I gotta say good bye to it. Well i bought another gearbox after some time drive it like for 2 years no problem but in that period of time the Flywheel got broken twice ( too much torque) I spent a lot of money on all that and recently the gearbox was broken again . Then thnx to DIRK he advices me to get a better flywheel which would handle the torque. I have it fitted now then thnx to Michael for the gearbox cooling kit .Well in the end I finally did the Carbon clean and now my car has 586 HP and 570 NM of torque and tested 100-200 km/h and was half a second faster than the current 2020 Audi RS6 :-))))

I have also recently had a Oil leak in the supercharger but I have bought a brand new complete supercharger body from PES . All perfect again now . The engine is running perfectly and so does the charger and the transmission .

1 last thing in the end .
In between all of my story tony richie from pes tried to sell me a modified remap and a flash kit which never worked and I spent a lot of money and went to different tuners but it was a scam from tony and I never got my refund on that. ( he is a crook, never deal directly with him )
He also sold me RS6 fuel pumps which didn’t bring any difference against the stock RS5 fuel pumps.

Now the whole setup is for sale
Engine, modified tansmission ,supercharger, fuel pumps ,rs5 sports differential, and oh yeah the AWE downpipes ( Give more growling sound together with the capristo exhaust system )

Breaking news : The reason I am selling all this because I am going to do a engine swap of Audi RS6 into my RS5 ) it will cost me around 40 grands so I need some money and that’s why I am selling all that .
Anybody interested please let me know .

Links : https://youtu.be/vwM2ky7lS0Q

https://youtu.be/WsKgJ5KgsO8

https://youtu.be/X9uCytpWk8U

https://youtu.be/UsFwhvTPsLY
3 Likes

PES STRIKES again.

Alee. GREAT to have you hear to tell your story of PES scam to your perseverance. Shows the great people like you can take a foundation and really make something of it.

The first phase of the PES scam has always been mark up the kit and then fire sale the kit to anyone that has even the remote interest hence a 10,000k discount.

Then just like every other PES fail. They used your car for R and D as nobody at PES or otherwise knew you needed to upgrade anything because they never had a running car.

We all appreciate you telling your story and the good news is you ended up with something that actually worked in the end and are able to pass on those parts and knowledge to someone interested in continuing down the path.

BUT WOW RS6 SWAP… WOW PLEASE PLEASE start a thread just for that. I KNOW TONS OF PEOPLE RS5 owner or not would LOVE TO SEE THAT…

Excited to hear more from you on this swap

2 Likes