Oil Catch can for the 2.0T?

Hey guys. I have lived on AZ for well over 5 years and sometimes I just cant get a strait answer… NOT AZ BASHING! I know Anthony and love that site for the niche it fills for me.

So my question is; to add the an oil catch can or not? side discussion is what make and model?

I have spoken to many techs and enthusiasts, read many articles and discussions (fight) about this topic. I know there is no “performance” gain to be had but I am init for the long term. My car is a 2006 A4 with 110000 miles on it as of two days ago. My car is paid off and isn’t going anywhere because I LOVE IT! I’m in it for the maintenance factor.

I think we all know the catch can collects foam and sludge that is generated in the valve cover and forced out through positive pressures and collected in the can. But is it really something to do for long term maintenance concerns? Will it help prolong my engine and its performance?

I feel that WHAT catch can to get comes down to ease of install, little to know moding of parts or covers and completeness of kit. As for model some companies have street, road/track, and full race versions… I’m not a full race car and most of the differences there are breather cones.

One area I do believe is going to be important is which models empties the can the easiest. Some must be unbolted and turned upside-down, others have valves that can empty the can. I think this is a factor when purchasing.

OK so here we go, please discuss and input thoughts!

thanks all,

Chris