oil filter housing cap damaged--can I drive w/o a filter temporarily?

The insides of the oil filter cap (p/n 079115433A) broke when I removed the filter. Would like to put cap back on with no filter and drive for a few days while I’m getting a replacement cap.

EDIT: to be clear, the white plate and spring beneath (not shown) in this picture is what broke off: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/oil-filter-cap/079115433d/
It doesn’t appear to be available separately and would just snap in if it was.

Any issues with this?

This is turning into a $300 oil change between this and the vent hose…

I suppose I can put new filter in for now, but it won’t be sealed at top of cap so most/all of the oil would bypass the filter.

EDIT: I just put in the new filter and put the damaged cap back on w/ old O-ring. No oil pressure light, which was really the only thing I was worried about.

If IM not mistaken you need to put a filter in for the car to start. If I’m remembering this correctly there is a contact that needs to be made to have the car start. But either way sounds like you got it limped alone for now.

The good thing about finding some of these things now is that they were probably going to break at really not good times. So now you have them fixed

Funny thing, or not so funny. New oil apparently has no requirements for purity, so it can contain all sorts of non-engine-healthy particles that are just assumed to be filtered by a new unused filter. So running with a leaky cap can do some harm… Fingers crossed.