Oil filter removal

What’s the trick to getting the filter off of the cap?

I had the inside part of the cap break into pieces while trying to get the filter off the cap. Is it possible to just get the inner parts to the cap?

I had the same thing happen last year. Sadly you have to buy a new one at ~$100. I think they just get brittle over time as all the plastic and rubber does on these engines.

I’m thinking that’s what I’m going to have to do. The filter just seems stuck on some tabs on the inside of the cap. Seems to take a lot of force to get things apart. Didn’t know if there is some technique to getting the filter off the cap without using crazy amounts of force and risking this breaking again.

I’ve had all the same thoughts. The filter is on there pretty darn tight, and I’ve always struggled to get it off.

Hoping someone here has a technique they can share?

I’m having this problem right now. I don’t want to break the cap. help…

The best luck I’ve had is:

1. let all the oil drain out,
  2. wearing some gloves, rock the filter back and forth relative to the cap and slowly work it off,
  3. say a prayer.

I think I gave up before the prayer. I got stuck on #2 for about 20 mins, then gave up and reused the old filter. I don’t want to try again until I have spare filter cap.

When I broke mine, I just ran it with no filter until the new cap arrived. Either way though…

I didn’t even consider that as an option. Already ordered an off-brand cap with return privileges so I’ll just wait a few days.

But in general, what is preferable—reuse a 1y old filter with 6000mi on it or run it a week without a filter?

A week with fresh oil? No issues IMO.

You may be able to get the filter off and so won’t need a new one.