Oil Temp and Pressure readings

Like many others on here, having a oil temp and pressure display would benefit me greatly. I always try to wait a good 10 mins after the coolant warms up to romp on my car, but would love to find a more scientific approach.

There’s a couple of other guys trying to fabricate actual gauges for this so maybe they could move their discussion in here.

I did a little research and was wondering if anyone had used a device like this with any success: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354&ra=true

^It’s a OBD-II reader with a bluetooth connection. It works with Garmin Nav units and Android phones/tablets. Aside from a number of other features, it claims to be able to display Oil temp and pressure in the gauges feature. Thoughts? I may just grab one from Amazon and pay the $4 for overnight shipping just so I can test it out this weekend. Unless someone has already tried and failed or knows of a reason why this wouldn’t work with our cars.

You might be able to do it if you have a B7. As I understand it, the B6s do not have a sensor for oil temp.

Good point. I guess that gadget would only work on a B7 S/RS.

I seem to remember seeing one (PODI???) that used an infrared sensor.

B6s have oil temp as well. The sensor in the bottom of the oil pan reads both level and temp.

VAG COM readout from a B6 -

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/237891629.jpg

^Is there a way of measuring the actual oil pressure or is simply “ok” or “not ok”?

[begin RS4 snobbery]don’t you guys have oil temp right in the DIS? It should be just to the right of the 9 on your tach[/end RS4 snobbery]

:smiley:

http://i44.tinypic.com/wsslew.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3671148785_060b92ca90_o.jpg

Damn that thing looks awesome. I’m buying one right now. Nice find

@Saki Screw you man! lol

@ saki - lol

@ BWT - Oil pressure is just on/off.

over the three days i installed a oil press. guauge from autometer. the gauge is a ultra light series 0-100 psi readings. so the gauge comes with three tabs on the back labeedl G,S,I ground sender and ingtion. an a ground and 12v for the light. so the way i did it was take your ground wire from the light and wire with the other ground and the 12v with the ingtion. now the fun i ran my groung wire to the battery. the sender wire to the autometer sender. and the ingniton wire is ran to the fuse box using the esp fuse as its power source.

now the fun part. in order to make this gauge work properly you need to use the autometer sender. that is key lol. so in order to get it to fit you need an adpter that is m10 male 1/8npt female fitting to screw into the oil filter housing the you need a tee fitting and then some extension fittings so you can move the sensor up. so with the sensor in place and you got a tee you can then run your stock saftey switch sensor also so no losses.

i will get some pictures up soon just wanted to get the info out there first

Thanks to the info from SpeedETC RE oil temp in B6s I did a small, not-so-well-controlled-or-observed experiment. I was always under the impression oil temp wasn’t available on B6s.

Just before the beginning of the winter I installed an oil pan heater beuse it can get good and cold here. I was curious about the difference in time it takes the car to get up to givn’r oil temp using the heater and not so I did a few drives while monitoring the oil temps in VCDS.

I didn’t log this so that’s why the report times are not perfectly co-coordinated and in the first drive I got a call and therefore wasn’t paying much attention to the readings (distracted driving laws anyone?).

All driving is same route which is a mix of 80kms highways and surface streets and very very mellow driving with 3k rpm shifts and low throttle angles until well into the clock and no warm up just get in and go. I did another drive without recording any values but on all three I did notice the oil temp readouts would not get much above 97c without finally driving more aggressively.

Day 1 – no heater:

Start Up - ambient temp 3c, oil temp 3c
5 mins – 40ish stupid phone call
11 mins – oil 82c
13 mins - oil 88
15 mins – oil 92
18 mins - oil 94
20 mins – oil 96

Day 2 – heater plugged in for 3 hours prior to startup:

Start up – ambient 3c, oil 34c
5 mins – oil 56c
6 mins – oil 70c
9 mins – oil 81c
10 mins – oil 86c
12 mins – oil 90c
15 mins – oil 95c
18 mins – oil 98c

Unfortunately, your probably going to be disappointed. I got one over the weekend and the only two gauges that weren’t there was the oil temp and pressure. I’m going to call Garmin tech support to see if there is a way to turn those two on, but I highly doubt there is.

Dammit anyways. I figured we wouldn’t get oil pressure, thanks Audi. But oil temp shouldn’t be an issue. Were you trying it out with an Android phone or a Nuvi?

I was using it on my Android phone. The rest of the features are pretty cool, so you might still find it useful. It has stuff like Intake temp and pressure, short and long term fuel trims to each bank, coolant temp, timing advance, etc. I told myself when I bought it that I would only keep it if the oil features worked.

So dumb. Why is getting effing oil related information off a b6/b7 S4 ECU such a pain in the ass?

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4dOqjACqPcZvfppE3vRjLXMJCi-PtS28dnK79Y4cVnPYJzh0b

I believe you can tap into the same place where the factory Oil Pressure switch is and put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I would be interested to see what the oil pressures are like on the RS4 at high RPM.

Do you know anything about running the adaptation in VagCom for the oil temp/pressure sensor? I just swapped in a B6 S4 engine into my B7 S4 (blown piston) and am using the oil temp/pressure sensor that came on the B6 (replacement engine) oil pan and I’m getting a P0196 error. I’ve tried the common tricks: hood latch, reset service interval, VagCom clearing DTCs, battery, etc. to no avail.

Do you know anything about running the adaptation in VagCom for the oil temp/pressure sensor? I just swapped in a B6 S4 engine into my B7 S4 (blown piston) and am using the oil temp/pressure sensor that came on the B6 (replacement engine) oil pan and I’m getting a P0196 error. I’ve tried the common tricks: hood latch, reset service interval, VagCom clearing DTCs, battery, etc. to no avail.

I don’t know 100% about this as my car is a b6 but I know the B7 can read pressure in vag com. But I would think to have that kind of feedback you would need the correct sensor. Also if I’m not mistaken the sensor pick up for that is in the oil filter housing.

Interesting - I’ll have to keep looking. Last Fall I mapped out 139 groups in VagCom to make sure I could easily find what I was looking for. Don’t see oil pressure, just level and temp.

Here’s a link to the file in case it’s helpful to you or anyone else: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ar5RwRk1fG8zjqYhWHR_5RW13EEiag?e=KZjrSx