P0014 - 004 - Retard Setpoint not reached

CEL came on tonight after a brief 30 minute highway run. From what I can tell this leads me to believe it would be a Adjuster valve, 6E109257P, that of course I just resealed during my cleaning. Anyone else have any experience with these going bad and whether I’d be correct in my assessment?

Retard could be the valve and from what I have seen tends to be. But it can also be a bad or going bad cam position sensor. So try swapping those from bank 1 to bank 2 and see if the code moves.

If you clear the code will it come back?

When putting things back together from my carbon cleaning I did solder one of the wires back on the connector as it was extremely frayed. The cam position sensors don’t appear to be that expensive nor that difficult to change either - is that accurate? I’ve cleared the code twice now and it reappeared immediately both times. Also rather than swapping would it be advisable to just pull the potential bad one and try and test it at 12V?

And how bad is it to drive the thing with this light on? I’ve gone for a few rides and it seems to be driving fine - although I’ve definitely kept it roughly under 4k rpm.

So I ended up getting a used valve off of eBay from a Jetta I believe, it was about 2 years newer and almost half the mileage and only $20 so I’ll ride that out. It does appear to have resolved the code as after clearing it hasn’t coming back and it’s been almost two weeks now. Just wanted to clarify for posterity’s sake.
Also I did remove the cam position sensors and give them a good cleaning just for safe measure. The passenger side did have some residue on it while the driver side was pretty clean.