Passenger side air intake tube removal

I have removed 1 of what looks like 2 breather hoses from the passenger side intake tube. This one left is very much baiting me to break it off. I don’t see the squeeze tabs on this like I did the other. I’m also not seeing much else on this connector elsewhere on the web. Not sure if it’s specific to the 5.2 or what. Does anyone have any tips for removing this?

Spray it down with penetration lube. Microwave a wet towel place it over the plastic to warm it up. Once you get the plastic warm it will be more willing to move and budge.

If you find that isn’t doing the trick. Take two screwdrivers or small picks and just push outwards on the part of the clip (from the inside walls of the clip) that hold it onto the neck of the connection

Appreciate the reply man. Are you able to tell from my picture whether the clips would be on the top and bottom or on the sides? When I get close up it almost looks like there are clips on all four sides.

Yeah, that tab is a pain and it gets worse when that plastic is brittle. The entire way to remove the tab is to squeeze the one side and that is supposed to bulge out the other removing the tension. But add years of heat cycles and the plastic just won’t play ball anymore.

It’s hard to explain the tab. There should be two posts or legs I would call them that are coming down from the top of the connection. Those are the legs that have the lip on them. You want to push out on those BUT ever so slightly as too far it causes the other part of the clip that isn’t actually supposed to be involved in getting caught up on the lip of the inlet tube.

I just can’t stress enough. Getting the tube and the tabs warm and soft is going to be the biggest help in all of this. The harder the plastic is and the harder the rubber is the higher the chances are you’re going to crack or break something.

How I usually do that removal, is I run the car hard before I go to star the project, and I quickly pop the hood and take off the several connections that are prone to break or resist while the motor and all of the components are still hot. So they all cooperate a bit better.

Try the hot wet towel trick several times. It works wonders.

1 Like

I can speak from personal experience, as soon as i touched the tabs on mine it broke into pieces and they all fell into the abyss. The motor was cold and the tabs were extremely brittle, needless to say I need to replace this tube and of course it couldn’t be in a worse spot, i can’t even tell where the other end goes.
if anyone knows the proper description, name, part# etc… i appreciate it.

See how the neck of the connection flares out. That is what you need to get those tabs over.