Power steering pump replacement

Over the last few weeks I was having the power steering pump make a slight wine every once in a while would add a little fuild and be good for a while. However, today while I was driving no whining or anything in advance I felt a hard clunk and a little smoke from under the car and lost all powersteering at once. I believe it is the pump because it isn’t making any noise and has lost all of the fluid. Does anyone know if the pump is an engine out job, and if not how difficult it is?

I have heard stories about pulling the pump with the engine in, but in the S8. I belive it would be engine out in the S6. Kinda lame considering it would be not so bad of a job if the bolt heads would face front of the car and not the firewall.

I did on the s6 a couple weeks ago. it wasn’t that hard. Just remove the axle and the upper control arms so the knuckle moves out of the way so the axle gets out and lower the engine on that side and after remove the heat shield around the axle to access the bolts.

Note the heat shield has a bolt in the middle and both sides. I didn’t have it on the middle so it was easy to remove. I think the heat shield shouldn’t be in the way anyways. I just ended up removing it so I can see better

1 Like

You will definitely have to lower the engine on that side and remove the driver side engine mount and the engine mount bracket to be able to get it out

1 Like

It’s possible it took me about an hour but you should be able to do it. It’s just very tedious. You should be able to knock it out in a day

1 Like