Project Audi V10 5.2 performance. S6 / S8

http://audirevolution.net/videos/185/worlds-fastest-aud-5.2-s6-s8-v10

Also, there are some S6 JHM tuned results as well. We’ll have to wait for them to post their results. But right now, as it stands, the worlds fastest S6 5.2 V10 and S8 5.2 V10 are JHM Tuned.

I’ll make a post later talking about my thoughts on the tune. I just wanted to get this up for everyone to see.

It’s been a few min since my last update so I wanted to get back with an update.

I’ll post a quick update and then like to get some feedback from the great guys on here about where to take the car direction wise.

Here is where I basically left off.

For those of you who don’t have the JHM tune but have been reading about it. The JHM tune can only be explained by simply saying there is in my opinion and based off performance figures, there is no equal. Anything less than the JHM tune for your V10 5.2 is just a waste of money. This has been talked about over and over so I’ll let the performance speak for itself.

My thoughts on the JHM tune are as follows. Overall, if you love the V10 sooner or later you will come to terms that something is missing and that something, is the real power of the V10. You can tell the OEM tune is holding the car back with the JHM tune your 5.2 V10 is unleashed. I can’t express enough how no other tune out there will offer what the JHM tune does.

Let’s break it down like this.

Throttle response.
OEM - lazy there is a bit of a delay it’s never quite crisp like you would like to see. It’s definitely a detuned luxury feel.

JHM - The best way to say it is crisp. The throttle is in sync with our throttle placement. The delay is removed and now the full power of the V10 can be managed fully by the throttle.

Power & Delivery
OEM - Down low the car sluggish. While the motor still makes power its buffered enough to keep the car from really getting off the line or accelerating quickly at low speeds. but wakes up in the upper rpm range to give you a nice constant smooth acceleration.

JHM - This ties into the throttle response a bit but zero restriction down low. There is an abundance of power now available at lower throttle input. The lower part of the rev range that was once powerless on the OEM tune now has a full load of power to deliver. This is all of the TQ this nice size 5.2 can make so down low this isn’t just a little difference it’s a marked improvement so much so that you’ll find yourself needing to use less throttle than before to get the car up to speed. In the upper rpm’s where the car really shined last time now the car has a more confident full and power feel where you can really keep increasing the cars acceleration with every inch of the throttle input.

From a data log standpoint, you can really see what the JHM tune is doing. You can see JHM has turned off the lower closing of the port flaps. Closing, of the flaps in the OEM tune, kills down low power but there is more. When you give the car more throttle you see the throttle plate move in direct line with the ignition timing, the fuel and most importantly the camshafts. The combination of all this is something that’s clearly not be offered in other tunes for the 5.2 V10.

Saftey

OEM - tune offers a wide range of safe items that turn on your warning lights on the dash

JHM - I know this isn’t really sexy but there are lots of unique little issues that our cars have and the JHM tune makes sure to put a spotlight on those issues sooner than later with error triggers that pop up sooner than later. The power is great but the ability to keep the car safer is even better.

Fuel mileage

OEM - I was seeing about 19 on average

JHM - I was seeing about ~23 on average. Keep in mind this also included the cat back exhaust so I figure the tune is good for about 2 or 3. Some guys are seeing more.

Exhaust note.

OEM - Nice but still subdued

JHM - First start of the car on the JHM tune and you know something good is about to happen. In the middle and higher rev ranges, you can really hear the car breathing better and the exhaust tone reflects it. Really helps give the car that more exotic sound

Overall thoughts.

If you’re a V10 5.2 owner this is a must have. The JHM tune really ties in every aspect of the V10s potential. This is what you expected the V10 to be and to offer. The performance isn’t even matched by doing anything else. When you look at the acceleration times of the past tune offerings people were not able to be much faster than stock 0-60 and the 1/4 mile results were sad. Now you have 12-second capable car with the JHM tune before the JHM tune the best tune offerings for the 5.2 V10 could barely get into the 13-second range.

That is my thought on the JHM tune. A worth the money get and something that will really help make you love the 5.2 V10 all over again.

Well, the choice seems clear now. I think it makes sense for me to pull myself off the beta list for now for the JHM supercharger. I wanted to get my car from the 12s into the 11s by the end of this year and the JHM supercharger kit would have put me well into the 11-second range.

The good news is that me taking myself off the JHM supercharger list opens up a spot for another Audirevolution S6 guy to get on the JHM beta supercharger list. So tell your friends ;D

I think it makes more sense for me to let someone else take my spot and since the JHM beta supercharger program only lets in so many customers and the V10 program is growing with so much excitement, I want to see the platform continue to grow.

Here is where my car is at. Last year after blasting the low 13second pass I felt great but really felt like the car was still choked off somehow. luckily the JHM tune popped up a lean code for the car that led me on a chase to find out what the issue was. I wanted to slowly learn what I could so, I took my time and did as many logs as I could and spent as much time as I could to learn more about the car and how each system worked.

I knew it was going to be injector related as let’s face it. Everyone one of us has had to replace an injector or more. we are starting to see just how big of an issue injectors are on our cars. I actually talked about this here in this post.
http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=3950.msg114965#msg114965

So, what I found out was that my injectors were definitely holding the car back. I asked a local friend (Justincredible) to come by and help get as much data as I can. The issue was definitely getting worse and we spotted an anomaly that could have been in part why some in the past have had damaged cats that required replacement. Seems one of my injectors was actually leaking. It took a long time to find this and figure it out. The cost of all the logging and time to see how bad injectors effect the car and what can happen when you drive around with a leaking injector. It took out my primary 02 on bank 4. The bad news is if you want to replace that 02 you need to drop the motor.

After knowing that headers are the obvious choice. Now I’ll start gearing up for dropping the motor and building the headers for the car. The entire process will take several months and I would like to see the car back on the road just before the track season ends in November.

Before we get into that I think my next post should be about the injectors and what we learned from testing. I’ll tell you what. If you haven’t had your injectors tested or replaced. It’s not a bad idea to consider doing so.

I got with JHM and they’re testing injectors at 110bar, cleaning the injectors and testing them again at 110bar. That is so important, as I’ve not seen any other company even those that offer cleaning services actually testing them at 110bar. The other injector cleaning and testing companies only test at about 5 bar some might get up to maybe 10 bar but my injectors didn’t even show a leak until 30 bar. So conventional testing methods outside of what JHM is doing wouldn’t have even shown a leak and the leak is what caused the damage to my 02 sensor leading to me now needing to pull the motor.

My next post will be the testing results I got back from JHM and some pictures of the injectors after I removed them.

Those of us that are going to be pulling out our own injectors take note. You can get the injectors to come out but after say, 100,000 miles they tend to get a little used to being in one spot. Take into consideration years and years of heat and extreme heat cycles.

My tips for removal.

To remove the injectors plan on lots of time and patience. Spray the outer edge of the seal kit area with a liberal amount of penetration lube. The injector removal tool did more damage than just using a few hand tools and some finesse. I used a combination of vibration on the hard fuel rail to loosen any available bond. From there I used a long pry bar with some good old fashion common sense. Take your time use vibration, penetration lube, a rocking motion, and leverage. The injectors are actually spraying as part of the compression cycle and need to withstand the pressure of combustion in the chamber. Keep that in mind, that is how sealed the injectors are and how tight the fit is going to be.

Here you can see I pulled the fuel rail off. You can see the cylinder 6 injector O-ring stayed in the rail (blue) you can see only injectors 8 and 10 were pulled up and removed leaving injector 6,7 and 9 to be pulled.

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/11801051.jpg

Here is a picture of the injector without the seal kit installed and without the rubber O-ring.

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/893119960.jpg

This next picture below is what I have been saying for years on why I don’t like using walnut shell blasting for doing carbon cleans. Keep in mind a professional that uses this walnut shell technique might have better control or a better overall process but for me and the others I’ve seen that do walnut shell you risk having this happen.

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/210055872.png

What you’re seeing here is walnut shell bits in the injector seal sleeve and there is a clear sign of some of the shells getting past the guard. Now I see it as literally impossible for the shells to penetrate the actual combustion seal and make their way into the cylinder but for me, I don’t like seeing walnut shells that close to my cylinders.

So let’s move on to the actual cleaning and testing results.

Honestly guys. I don’t even know how my car was as fast as it was. I know the JHM tune kept the car safe and allowed it to be as fast as it was but when you see the condition of the injectors and their results you will see what I’m talking about.

Keep in mind the target for 110 bar is 1000CC So the numbers you want to see are 1000. Here are the before.

Before (110 Bar)
10)267.07 ****
9) 937.95
8) 522.89 **
7) 937.07
6) 851.80 Leak
5) 937.95
4) 827.43
3) 669.07
2) 364.52 *****

1. 937.95

Not keep in mind #6 had a leak and we only found that it was leaking after 30bar. So conventional tests would have missed this.

Here are the after.

After (110 Bar)
Bad

I can post more about this in a little bit. I have a prior engagement that I need to go to so, I’ll have to leave this post and come back to it when I have more time.

Before I forget. I pulled my injectors and a friend’s injectors out of his S8. We did the same test and cleaning on his injectors. His injectors were in much better shape than mine.

Before (110 Bar)
559.96 **
486.80 ***
572.15 **

After

After (110 Bar)

As you can see even on his car some of the injectors were almost down by 50% that’s not good. Again with this test, the higher actual operational pressure tests showed more than the lower tests. The tests were actually performed at 110bar 30bar and the standard 5bar.

I know you posted this in the S6 section originally but this is a great read. Thanks for all your work on this.

Forgot about this… We should get the data on audi/VW use from EFT over the next few days, but I believe the fuel system component has proven to eliminate and prevent future carbon buildup. I have units in hand now. May need to get another one for you and Jimmy to test alongside my car(s).

I don’t know what exactly your talking about here but the fuel system has little to nothing to do with the actual carbon build up. The build up in the intake and intake valves comes from the crank case PVC system and oil mist getting in the intake track at low speed idle conditions where the oil separator isn’t working at peak efficiency.

On the FSI cars. The injectors are post intake valve so much unlike older cars you don’t get fuel wash keeping the valves clean. To combat and fix this carbon issue Audi is now using a pre valve LP injection system to once again fuel wash the valves.

If there was a fuel component issue with carbon you would see the exhaust valves with carbon build up and you don’t see that.

Love it CV! This stuff makes me want to change professions

I’m so late seeing this lol. Sorry, I’m almost never in the S8 forum. Yeah, I know. Apparently they resolved it through optimized combustion. But that’s me, a layman, explaining lol. The engineer(s) could do a much better job. I can shoot you the data on hand if you PM me your contact details.

optimized combustion still will not help a poorly designed PCV system. This is solely upon the vent engineers shoulders to design an appropriate crankcase breathing system for the engine.
The combustion engineer just has to then deal with the oil mass entering the chamber and ruining his perfect combustion model!

Mods can you pin this thread to the top and close it?
Really good / essential stuff in here, great for the new and old alike.