Re: Compression tests. 4.2 S4 Section 2003-2009

Would someone mind sharing the steps of how to do a compression test? I think I’ve got a tester from years ago laying around so I might run one next time I change my plugs.

I used Justin’s write up on AZ or somewhere about how to “Test the starter” which basically is just jumping the starter in order to turn the motor over. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/255410-Starter-check-(cold-start-issues)

Prior to that though you need to:
-warm the car up
-disconnect the battery
-pull all the coils & plugs
-wedge screwdriver into throttle body to make sure it is cracked open
-screw compression tester into cylinder 1
-jump starter until compression quits rising, note compression, release pressure and unscrew
and so on through all 8 cylinders and then put everything back together.

Those numbers aren’t bad at all I didn’t think?

I just see other numbers with engines that have way more miles and worry about my lower numbers. I don’t think they are “bad” either, I just really had big plans for this car. It’s no longer a DD, so a bottom end build may be in the near future with a blower addition. I just really take care of this car and expected it to be better shape, but I guess the previous owner may have not done the best job breaking it in.

Like I said though, I’m pretty sure it’s a seat or guide issue and not a cylinder wall or ring issue, which is a little easier to swallow.

That’d be me! Forgot to add it here

joe Feel free to add or remove what you want. I didn’t add your name out of respect for the fact you didn’t put this here first. Ill delete my entry if you want to add your own

Well, I’ll put an update in here for future members looking for resolution to smoking and oil consumption issues like the ones I had above.

Replaced all 40 valve stem seals

I haven’t done another compression test, but I will in a few hundred more miles and I will follow up in here. As of right now with almost 200 miles on the car I have no smoking and haven’t lost a drop of oil.

^^^weird. Is it one of those new DOI engines? (direct oil injection)?

LOL! I don’t know but it sure loves that oil.

a diesel? they normally have much higher compression

LOK

^^^weird. Is it one of those new DOI engines? (direct oil injection)?

LOL! I don’t know but it sure loves that oil.

a diesel? they normally have much higher compression

LOK

To keep the compression test thread just results, this section is for comments and any information that might be had to help.

To keep the compression test thread just results, this section is for comments and any information that might be had to help.

Good thinking.

It’d be good practice for people to quote or link the specific post which has the compression results if they’re asking or referring to a specific compression test result.

Good thinking.

It’d be good practice for people to quote or link the specific post which has the compression results if they’re asking or referring to a specific compression test result.