Rebuilding engine which upgrade parts not to forget

I am pulling my 2011 S5 3.0T CAKA engine, started out with replacing upper tensioners and from there found:

• Carbon build
  • Oil filter caramel sludge bottom and metal sparkles on filter
  • Spraying the sludge with brake cleaner, cleared te way for bigger aluminum chunks falling from drainage
  • Draining coolant also metal shavings
  • Leaking water pump

So I was done with the tight spaces, weird bolt angles and pulling it.

So when the engine is out, I have the possibility to change internals to upgraded ones. Google only found ECU tunes.

So any recommendations are gladly welcome!!

Metal shavings are indicative of imminent failure no matter where they are from. You need to determine their source and the extent of damage they caused. Order a black stone analysis immediately and start poking at bearing surfaces. Tell us about your ownership and the cars history.

Elmo, are you over in the UK? I haven’t see much on upgraded internals except for higher quality Rod & Crank bearings, but plenty with OEM internals running 450bp+ with a lot of Torque. Metal chunks are definitely not a good sign. I have a RS5 that turned a rod bearing (fine metal shavings in the oil) and I may over the long run rebuild the engine but for now I’m looking for a low mile replacement.
It may be best to tear it down to first see what is failing but if they are larger chunks that very likely means a complete rebuild or may be better to look for a replacement engine. I would think it wouldn’t be too difficult to find a 3.0t in Britian or Europe. But on the other hand you have a lot of Audi engine rebuilders over there that we don’t have here.

My ownership….

I have it for 2 years now, it was an imported german car with full service historie.

In the first 6 months I already had the DL501 acting up and rebuild it 4 months later.

After the DSG rebuild and calibration, the car started having camshaft control errors, changed actuators and from then on…. Damn chain tensioner errors, off time.

No tunes and every 15k oil change. No earlier shavings in oil.

I am from Holland, rebuild company’s here are terrible invoicers.

We have the “TVS DL501” Pricing Cartel. Every rebuilder asks the same pricing: € 1699,00 or € 1899,00 for the DSG fix.

(Fixed it on my own for € 600,00 parts and a rented workplace € 26,00 a day.)

It is the same for engine rebuilders, companies that port superchargers or intake ports and polishing, do not exist in Holland. If the engine is ok, I will test my port and polishing and will offer the service in Holland to Audi 3.0T fans.

This is a nice learning project, but if I going for an engine swap, it will be a 4.0T. Maybe a 5.2 V10 Supercharged or Twin Turbo will also fit.

(Yes, I hear some of you thinking…: :thinking: Those Supersprint Longtube Racing Header will not fit a 4.0T, lets follow this and see if he will sell them​:see_no_evil:)

I have found parts of the mid chain guides, so damn…

The engine case is somewhat corroded and willing to give it a protective coating whole rebuilding.

Ceramic Coating would be nice, but expensive. Any other types available for long term preservation and easy clean?

I still have budget for Ceramic Coating, which type would the way to go?

• Thermal Barrier, keeping heat internal
  • Thermal Radiant, radiating heat from engine