RS4 Issue. Help Please.

Hey Guys,

I have run into a problem that I’m hoping you guys can give me some advice on. I was driving my car today and noticed a slight hesitation for a couple of milliseconds, but it decided to to come back and drive okay. I then drove a couple more miles and everything was fine cursing on the interstate at 75, in 6th. I got off the highway and went to rev-match as I was slowing and the engine didn’t rev up, so I came to a stop at the light. When I got to the light the car was idling really rough. I went to pull off and the car had no power, and would cut out if tried to move any faster. I shut the car off, and restarted it to get off the road. It did somewhat okay, the rough idle was gone, but it still was in limp mode, or so it seemed.

I got the car home and pulled up the DTC’s on the car and went over the wiring to see if anything was lose. I didn’t find any lose plugs. Some of the DTC’s I pulled up are pretty worrying.

Here are the codes from Module 1:

Address 7E8: 2 Faults Found:
P2015 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal
U0115 - Second (Slave) Engine Control Module: No Communication

Address 7EA: 3 Faults Found:
P0057 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S2: Heating Circuit: Short to Ground
P0151 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Signal too Low
P0606 - Internal Control Module: Processor Fault

And the codes from module 2:

6 Faults Found:

005491 - Left Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N144)
P1573 - 004 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 184809 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 844 /min
                Load: 74.1 %
                Speed: 0.0 km/h
                Temperature: 69.0°C
                Temperature: 65.0°C
                Absolute Pres.: 830.0 mbar
                Voltage: 11.811 V

000087 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S2: Heating Circuit
P0057 - 002 - Short to Ground - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100010
Fault Frequency: 82
Mileage: 184882 km

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 787 /min
                Load: 25.1 %
                Speed: 0.0 km/h
                Temperature: 93.0°C
                Temperature: 39.0°C
                Absolute Pres.: 820.0 mbar
                Voltage: 13.589 V

004416 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B2 S2
P1140 - 008 - Internal Resistance too High - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Mileage: 185132 km

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 7631 /min
                Load: 95.3 %
                Speed: 201.0 km/h
                Temperature: 89.0°C
                Temperature: 34.0°C
                Absolute Pres.: 840.0 mbar
                Voltage: 13.462 V

000081 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Heating Circuit
P0051 - 002 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Mileage: 185770 km

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 931 /min
                Load: 40.8 %
                Speed: 7.0 km/h
                Temperature: 74.0°C
                Temperature: 51.0°C
                Voltage: 13.843 V

000337 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1
P0151 - 002 - Signal too Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100010
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 185787 km

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 2848 /min
                Load: 23.9 %
                Speed: 56.0 km/h
                Temperature: 77.0°C
                Temperature: 50.0°C
                Absolute Pres.: 820.0 mbar

012440 - Internal Control Module
P3098 - 001 - Memory Check Sum Error - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Mileage: 185789 km

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 2899 /min
                Load: 20.4 %
                Speed: 39.0 km/h
                Temperature: 88.0°C
                Temperature: 42.0°C

I did have a MIL on from an 02 problem that I have been chasing, I’m starting to think I pinched an O2 wire when I was replacing the clutch. I also had the MIL on from the Intake flaps. The flaps work, but I’m guessing the holes are starting to get wallowed out, so I plan to get the JHM tune to fix that at some point.

What are you’re guy’s thoughts?

Thanks,

Small Update. I was digging around on the web and found Audi had a TSB for this problem. It looks like the old SW on the ECU was 0040 and the new SW is 0060. Looking at my ECU information, it has SW 0060, which likely explains why my ecu has two successful flashings on it. I’m pretty sure there is no current aftermarket tune on the car.

JHM would have a tune as from what I understand they use the most updated versions that Audi has released to each country code.

Can you please post the TSB from audi or give a quick description of what it says. Over all it looks like you have some 02 issues but the control module issue I think is what you are talking about.

The Audi TSB #'s are
Pass-Thru TSB # 24-08-31 (2017905/1)
Audi TSB # 24-08-82 (2017905/4)

They basically state that if a car is having an issue due to the checksum codes there is a SW update. From what I have been able to find the lates SW is 0060.

I had a friend come by, and when I went to show him the problem the car ran fine. I drove the car to day and I didn’t have any major issues. The MIL and ECP light are on, but the car is not hesitating nor did I have idle issues, well, I have idle issues, but my car didn’t. I cleared the codes to see what would happen. So far the O2 codes went a way, but the checksum code is still present.

I’ve read that the checksum error can not be cleared with VAG-COM, which doesn’t make sense, but instead has to be cleared by disconnecting the power.

I spoke with the guys over at JHM to see if the car has a tune on it, but they didn’t find anything in their database. Looking at the ecus all the security bolts are in place, so I don’t think they have been tampered with.

I disconnected the battery to see what that will do. I’ll update you once I hook that back up.

you should be able to clear the check sum issue faster if you unplug the ECUs from the wire harness. Keep in mind some of the check sum issues never clear themselves from what I read.

I disconnected the battery and was able to clear the checksum error, but the short on the O2s was still present. Since I found it hard to believe that all my O2’s failed at the same time it lead me to believe that I have a bad relay or fuse. After digging around in the FSM for a while I decided to look into the plenum electronics box in the engine bay. Sure enough I found that one of the fuses for the engine electronics, S282, was blown, I’m surprised my car still ran with the fuse blown. I replace the fuse this morning and so far I haven’t seen any codes. I’ll provide an update in a little while.

The next question is, what caused the fuse to blow?

Can you show a picture of the fuse and where it was at please. If the fuse blew once it might be something that is still lingering and could happen again. Fuses generally don’t just blow without cause.

I don’t have time to pull the box open again, so hopefully this will do. The fuse was located in the main fuse panel in the plenum box, the same box that contains ecu 1 of the car, or where the A4 and S4 ecu is at. The fuse that blew was the 15A in the black socket. So I made a mistake in my last post and stated that S282 blew, it was actually fuse S73 that blew. Which is the Heater circuit. I have been chasing a short on the heated O2 sensor at B1S2. Like I stated previously, I think I might have pinched a wire on it when I was reinstalling my transmission after a clutch job. So my guess is that it shorted somewhere and blew the fuse. Here is a picture from the Bentley manual showing the fuse layout.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B0yQvTxhcHpYTWpCTFNITEZMU28

Thanks for posting that.

Its common when putting 02 sensors back in to have them twisted pulling them out. You end up winding and winding them to get them out and doing so can fray the lines and cause the wires to be exposed. Once the wires get exposed out of there covering they can come into contact with eachother and thats when you get a blown fuse or worse an damaged ecu

Sorry I have been out for a bit. Things get a little crazy some times as life would go. Anyways, like I mention earlier I was suspecting that I pinched a wire while reinstalling the trans. Long story short, I had to pull the trans out and was able to find the pinched wire. After fixing that no more codes. ;D

Nice update. Good to hear it was simple to fix