RS5 carbon clean DIY

The bands where my AWE DP connects to the center piece leaks moisture when car is cold as well. Looks like black soot watermarks at bottom of pipe and on the ground below it. The floor Looks like black spray speckle and happens when I first start up the cold car.

Yep, definitely leaking then Vancmann.

The new PCV’s solved the whistling. Seriously, I’d have nightmares about that sound. Hated it so much. And it was loud. I know all my neighbors heard me every time I pulled into the neighborhood. An expensive fix but glad it is indeed fixed.

I tore the suspect PCV down and couldn’t find a leak. With a bit more probing, I finally found a very small slit in the side of the diaphragm, not in the main portion. I still have one to dissect, I’ll post a few photos when I do.

Uploading the results of using CRC and a made in China brush pulling only the upper intake manifold. First before pictures :

Bear in mind that CRC is a nasty chemical. I was wearing plastic gloves; I recommend really thick gloves even thick leather ones. The second thing is when brushing, any CRC left will turn into aerosols (the great cleaner it is)–it is nasty to breathe in. Therefore, I would either wear a mask make sure ta have it all sucked out after the soak and before brushing.

The tip of the made in China brushes did not have any straw on them meaning I was not able to get to the part of the valve heads furthest down. That area, however, seems quick to carbon, I guess sucked up directly from the combustion chamber.

After pictures (happy to upload more if it interests anybody):

Maybe a soft brass swirly brush on a long extension would do the trick…use a drill to spin it. We’d have to find one first of course, but that may be an easier path to “mostly” clean out the gunk on a more regular basis. I think if you get hard chunks, it might not work as well on those and I did end up picking a lot of crap out of the valve seat area. Nasty business!