RS5 Strange Intake Valves!

I’m almost done putting the car back together but I can’t figure out why I’m getting intake flaps bank 1 electrical malfunction. The wires looks fine and the flaps do not catch on anything. The sensor is good because I get a different code when I unplug it. When I search this code I only gets hits for the early S5 4.2. Any ideas?

I swapped the sensors and it’s still bank 1. I was checking advanced measuring valves and I pulled up 4 blocks called intake runner control. They seemed to be a pair and 1 pair was measuring 0v and another roughly 3.4v. Can someone else check what these valves should be? I may have a break in the wires somewhere but it may take time to figure out where.

Must be a connector in the front connected to the vacuum controlling the flaps that isn’t snugged on? But you already figured that out. Checked VCDS , all I found was:

IDE00401 Intake manifold Runner Control (IMRC): acknowledgment 0.769 %
IDE00403 Intake manifold runner control 2: acknowledgment 0.574 %
IDE01369 Intake manifold runner control (IMRC): offset closed 0.840 V
IDE01371 Intake manifold runner control (IMRC) 2: offset closed 3.984 V

Yep I tried that. If I actually unplug it I get a second code specific to the sensor

My cylinder 1 and 4 had a lot less carbon than the others when I checked two years ago, that is just how the PCVs direct fumes unevenly, if not my car is screwed on 1 and 4 cylinders.

spray them with electrics/ connector spray

I had a lot more errors when I had a hose and or connector out at start.

Ignoring the tape or what the h£ll that is, Am I just stupid, or what are the odds of six cylinders all having bad valves.

I think the front valves are less likely to get as much of the exhaust via the PCVs, but the build up and other things will affect a bit where it goes.

If you really need a swap my neighbour has a new S6, not sure if you get it in the US as station car sounds like a V8

My valves. I was concerned about the 0%. I’ll see if I can’t manipulate these valves with a vacuum pump later.

You can see the bottom three pictures have less carbon (I think two of the save cylinder). Should be fairly plain to see if leaking down on the valve. I had carbon there but I think that is because oil coming from the PCV sticks there (it gets less hot as well)

I’d be shocked if starting the car to see (if it goes away) would damage the engine. Like I said, I started it with everything in a mess to check all the systems work.

I ran the car for 10 minutes and wiggled, unplugged, and investigated many of the plugs i worked with while working on the valves

Can I ask again for some comparisons? Anyone with a hand vacuum pump, can you manually pump your actuators and see the valves before and after? You don’t have to remove any parts to get to it, just pop off the vacuum hose on the actuator. Trying to figure out an issue that typically only solenoid-based actuators have is tricky…

I’ll be home this coming Thursday if you don’t get a reply by then I can check on the old engine.

I meant using VCDS and pumping the actuator while watching the values I posted earlier change. I bought a mighty vac and will see if they change while I’m measuring it. They didn’t earlier when I had the car running and my lovely assistant was revving the car.

May have figured it out. Unfortunately I dropped a damn upper intake grommet after the 10th time removing the intake LOL. Will post soon. If I’m right, I’m an idiot.

Alright folks false alarm. That black vacuum thing in the “V” was half plugged in even though I superglued it on. Side note, anyone got an upper manifold grommet? One of mine escaped into narnia.

Glad to hear. I am also glad to hear your RS5 can take the punishment.

Your extremely low level of carbon build up on at least one cylinder, to me, can only be explained by the fact that you drive it hard.

I wonder if there are any specific fail points in the RS5 B8 engine, or if we can use mainly the R8 V10 and LP640 as proxy data to decide the risk of catastrophic failure. This is mainly for the people who get to drive theirs very hard.

None of the parts stores sell the grommet for the upper intake manifold. Does anyone have an extra they are willing to part with?

I’m sure I have some extra ones. Do you have a pic so I make sure I’m getting the right ones?

1 Like

Sorry the the late reply. I’ve had a busy week. It’s the grommet that holds up the upper intake spacers. I’ll pay handsomely for a few just in case I screw up again down the line.

How many do you need? I’ve got a few extras, I’ll just send them to you on Monday. PM me your address.