RS5 Coil packs on S5 V6

Hey Guys,

With the S5 V6 B8 getting ready for the tuning sessions, I am making sure it runs at its best before turning it over. It will be just a software tuning, no pulley, only the IE Air Intakes as mod.

Changing

• Spark Plugs to NGK Ruthenium HX
  • Coil packs to NGK U5015 RS5?

Service

• Carbon clean
  • Oil filter
  • Oil
  • Mechatronics overhaul
  • Fuel filter

The tuning will involve a higher RPM limit, so my thoughts were to go for the RS5 Coil packs. Knowing they can take higher RPM’s.

Am I making sense or just being the “Mad Scientist” again?

It makes sense on the coil packs but there are probably some smart Electrical Engineers out there that can test them and tell you if the dwell time and such is different. A lot of guys started putting R8 Red Coil packs on the C5 RS6’s and after a few Dyno’s later on found the cars had actually lost a little power due to the dwell time built into the coil packs. Your logic on the higher RPM limit makes sense though.
Interesting, I just looked at the Audi Coil pack specs for a 2012 R8 and they do list the same as ours (07K-905-715G) but if you want Red then they list (06E-905-115G) which are the ones that the RS6 guys started using. Might have to look a little more into these part #'s and see if the color is the only difference?

I would just leave the OEM coil packs in. There isn’t any reason to change them. The RPM isn’t really the issue its the pulse per second. At 6000rpm your already at 50 pulse per second interval. If you go to 7000rpm as thats about all you really go with a 3.0T maybe 7300 your at roughly 60 pulse per second or about 20% more. That isn’t worth any need for change outside OEM.

Also the coil packs just transfer the charge given to them. This load isn’t something that is going to be over taxed. You stand to cause more issues than you would solve by changing coil packs.