RS5 Fuel Line Vapor Lock

Has anyone else had their car sputter and shut off after driving spiritedly and for a long time? I’ve never had this problem before this year but it’s been happening with increased frequency, only when driving for long periods of time. The only codes are low pressure pump, high pressure pump, and fuel level codes. Quite similar to this thread

But I have none of the codes that they dealt with. One thing that always solved it was getting fuel and letting the car sit. I believe the fuel is vaporizing in the hardline because it’s getting so hot. I plan on getting a vented hood and headers next year to help solve this issue.

Sounds like a good chance it could be a bad fuel purge valve, fairly cheap part to try. What are your faults?

Having more issues. Today the codes are
P3043 fuel pump malfunction
P310B low pressure fuel regulation
P0174 bank 2 lean
P0171 bank 1 lean

Currently marooned on the interstate :frowning:

Made it back home. That wasn’t fun as my cats were with me and it was 95*F outside. First issues today happened at 21% fuel level. Cruising on the interstate at roughly 80 mph, the EPC light comes on and about 30 seconds later the car started misfiring. Slowed down, pulled over, car died as I came to a stop. Took 30 minutes to get the car started again. Made it 10 miles and it died again. Another 30 minutes and 10 miles later made it to a gas station and it died just after I pulled in. The codes were as stated in the above post. Strangely, after filling up I didn’t have any issues until almost 2 hours later at 71% fuel where I made an overtake and the car didn’t appreciate it. The EPC light came on showing only the fuel pump malfunction and a momentary stutter afterward. I was able to clear the code and continue after backing off the throttle and sitting at 60 mph. I topped off the fuel and drove another hour and a half home. In my town I was ripping it very hard to see if I could get any problems to occur and it was completely fine. While fighting the car back on Thursday I was logging fuel trims, HPFP and a few other things. The trims were fine until the HPFP crashed. There doesn’t seem to be any selection for the LPFP in VCDS but I was using the OBD-II menu drop down only. The fuel level was 56% then and after I filled up I didn’t have any issues until I reached 21% this morning. I suspect this is not an electrical issue as others have had but rather a physical one as a full tank has no issues. LPFP, regulator, or the in-tank transfer lines are looking to be the culprit here. I’ll be draining the tank soon and pulling everything out to investigate.

Keep us posted on what you find !

So I’ve got a decent bit of experience with a fuel system in that I replaced the entire thing on one of me 335i. Those cars had the fuel pump bucket on one side of the tank and the regulator on the other. This looks like it’s a single unit when not ripped apart by a hammer. Nothing looked in poor condition or had a tear in it. The fuel filter bag is gross and had some junk on it but it too was just fine. Oh well. Ordering a new pump assembly.

Replaced LPFP and all seems well after a quick trip around the block.

The LPFP is a known failure point across the entire Audi lineup. The pump is used not only on the RS5 but the A5 and various other models as well. Nice job on replacing it! It’s not one of those “fun” things to fix. Always hate working with fuel pumps.