RS5 Longevity-- 10YRS+

Hello there. I’m new around here. After reading as many SuperSwiss and ApeFactory comments on the internet as I could find there doesn’t seem to be any discussion about the overall longevity of the RS5. Most information about reliability and longevity on the RS5 is almost a decade old. Given the additional years and ownership experience, I am starting the discussion now in hopes of generating useful information many others in my situation might need to know. So here’s the deal:

I just recently purchased an RS5 on CarsandBids. 55k miles no issues at least not at present. This is my first REAL car not a shit box. Blame my OCD or my father I go back and forth, but I am neurotic about maintenance and fully intend to keep the car regardless of expense. I have always loved the look and fortunately the drive managed to exceed my already towering expectations. Now onto the question at hand:

My question is what all have you RS5 owners done, or would recommend doing as preventive maintenance(beyond what the service intervals say yes I have an owner’s manual) that will keep this car “tip top” as Sam L would say for as long as possible. I mean EVERYTHING. A deep dive on what lifelong owners can expect to go wrong specifically how one keeps a car like this going well past 10 years. Easier said than done I know; consider this challenge accepted. Thanks y’all -P

Cut the Engine oil changes in half and almost half for the Transmission (both oils), and the rear Diff (both oils). These are RS5 specific items that if failed are very difficult and expensive to replace. Sure there are a few other pieces specific to the RS5 on the car (Bumpers, front fenders, etc…) but most other parts are interchangeable with the A5/S5 or even the A4/S4’s (Suspension, many interior pieces, most all electronic modules, etc…) If you do Audi’s 10k oil changes, you’re slowly killing your engine at a much faster rate than a 5~6k oil change, and use a top rated oil, it’s cheap insurance compared to a motor change so don’t go cheap on quality.

I agree with the above post. I would recommend sending your oil in for analysis as it can give you a window into what’s happening with your engine / dsg. For example, my most recent analysis showed a little more fuel dilution then I like seeing which probably means I have a high pressure fuel pump replacement in my future.

Oil analysis and 5k oil changes most definitely. What else? How do y’all feel about aftermarket warranties on these cars?

Also from the knowledge I’ve accumulated thus far, for any prospective or current RS5 owner here’s some things to know:

-Carbon cleaning. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on what the interval for this service should be, but it needs done. I bought my car at 55k and I do not think it has ever been blasted. One of the first things I’ll be doing here very soon from what I have read even 50k will show a lot of build up.

-Fluids. Practically everywhere fluid is involved flows through something expensive to replace. Differential, transmission, oil, brake fluid etc. point is check them often, replace regularly in some cases prematurely as hahnmgh63 initially mentioned.

That’s all I really have so far. Any reliability modifications anyone??? Really hoping this forum will help compile some good information. I’m sure many RS5 owners wanna see their cars live well beyond 10 years. I hope anyway lol.

Don’t know anything about aftermarket warranties as I do all of my own work, got a pretty good shop and a lift but too many cars.
Most important is to change the fluids more often and use top of the line oil & filters.
Carbon cleaning, yes all Gen 1 D.I. cars, and not just Audi, need Carbon Cleaning. I’m a believer in Catch cans on anything Turocharged, Supercharged, or a Gen 1 D.I car. I have all 3 types and I use catch cans in all of them. Easy to service them and they always have oil in them that would have went through the intake tract coating Intercoolers, Intakes, and intake valves. The Port injected cars at least keep the intake valves clean for the most part. My RS5 only has about 28k on the engine so it’s good for now, my 3.0t S5 is hitting 75k so it’s due for a cleaning. DIY on it isn’t too bad but you do need to be careful not to get blasting media into the cylinders. But when It’s your own car you will probably do a better job than any dealer or independent shop will.
Don’t forget to change the Coolant and flush the brake fluid too.
Thankfully the suspension pieces are common to B8.5’s and enough total cars were produced that they will be available in the aftermarket for years to come.