S6 V10 JHM tune

Can we get a vid of you ripping it?! I want to hear the exhaust :smiley:

Does JHM have an S8 tune out or in the works?
Can we get 500 crank horse out of the s8?!
Id be very interested in this next summer if we can get close to 500 horse…

CountVohn has the tune in his S8. I could be wrong but I think it’s the same tune as the S6.

Oh yea maybe… you used to have a black b5 a4?

I wanted to back up what is being said here. A lot of people dont know the JHM tuner has been doing this for years. All tunes are not created equal. As a matter of fact some that have talked about the APR tune should know that when APR couldnt get power out of the RS4 they called on JHMs tuner to help do the job for them. the result were incredible. Since JHMs tuner is an oem calabrator and used to be one of the calabration guys at Ford SVT before it merged into another part of ford. He has a better idea of what is going on.

With the NA cars when you look at the tune you can always see a big HP and Tq gain from the JHM NA tunes. Most other tunes including BIG box tunes and tuning companys just tune on a dyno for WOT. A lot of us 4.2 guys have been there when JHMs tuner did his work on the 4.2 changing every data point from 800rpm to 6800rpm.

The increase in better MPG is enough to tell you that the system is more efficent and more dynamic than before. If you take the time you can see the difference when you move the throttle you can hear the different tone in the exhaust. Thats in part due to the camshafts now being more active.

These big V10 cars are able to make a ton of tq down low thats why they make such great driving cars stock. Take out all the work Audi put into keeping the car more tame off the line and your going to have to take a second and re learn the throttle placement. With zero delay anymore. Stock there is a throttle delay with the JHM tune the instant you move the throttle the throttle is moving with your foot. Not only that but so are the camshafts and fuel and timing.

And for those of you who might not have seen it

Here are some more JHM tuned results

Awesome results !!!

Not sure where to start, a whole lot of info being shared. Bottom line is the car just plain makes more power from idle to redline, it’s a blast to drive hard, and I didn’t have to change a single part to do it. As far as performance value, I don’t see any other way to get this kind of performance value.

For those that want to see more I’ll try to get some acceleration video over the weekend, but I don’t think it will do it justice. You really have to experience it, the feeling (and now the sound) of such a heavy car accelerating from a stop, or from speed is just plain exciting. I did a full throttle “research run” from 40 in sport mode, when my research was complete, I just grinned and said to myself, “this is crazy, this car weighs 4500 lbs”. The power isn’t totally new to me either, I had a 69 Camaro with a 427 that I built myself quite some time ago when we had distributors and carburetors. It was eventually a low/mid 12 second car when done, but that took tons of money (a lot of it on rear tires) and time to get it that way. Not only that, getting the power to the ground on the street was nearly impossible, it couldn’t turn and stopping at speed was a hold your breath and hope kind of thing.

I think Audi did a great job of engineering a fantastic all around powerful car that can be driven every day, and because no one could do anything more with it, several of us picked one up relatively cheap, somehow thinking there has to be some way to make it faster (I remember reading all of the cold air intake posts when I first visited the site, and I still think about how to remove heat from the engine bay).

For the purchase price of the car used, and the cost of initial maintenance, I don’t see a better value. It goes, it turns well, stops well, and gets me to work and home every day. As far as Audi holding back power and all the marketing that goes along with performance cars, that has been going on since the first muscle cars appeared decades ago.

Like I said, next will be the spacers and bypass. Then the exhaust. I’ll keep you updated as I go, and get some better video and pics when I get back to the track.

Thank you all for the great response, I don’t know about you, but I see very few people in my daily travels that want to hear about my car or understand the rush of acceleration the way we do, so it’s nice to be able to share with those who get it.

i definitly need vids of exhauat sound!
i know what you mean about videos not doing justice. I watched every v10 video on the internet in the 8 months leading up to purchasing our s8, videos do not compare to how good it sounds, with a bone stock factory exhaust system. Im really getting tempted to remove at least the front resonators for a little more bark.

Best way to enjoy the exhaust sound is to roll the rear windows down a little bit around town and from stop lights. Man, i want to go drive mine right now!

PS, ever figure what that rattle sound was? You mentioned it happened during WOT…could it be engine knock by any chance? id asume the knock sensors would dial back the timing almost instantly though…

No it’s not engine knock, I think I’ve figured out that it’s caused by the different exhaust tone causing the exhaust system to resonate differently than before, thus producing rattles that didn’t exist before except when it was cold. My miltek exhaust always “rattled” when it was cold before, now it does it all the time, hot or cold, at WOT. Same rattle sound as before, just more often now. It’s not a problem, just another reason to get rid of my Miltek exhaust.

interesting, maybe its just resonating like you said, or has some poor connection somewhere. Keep us posted.

just wondering…have you had a look at what the S8 does? You keep saying there’s room for the S6 to be better, but you seem not to know what the S8 performance levels are.

Better way to ask…what do you think the S8 was capable of in stock form?

And RS cars are indeed a different story. RS cars are not a small bump over their S siblings. They tend to blow them out of the water, especially in the era these cars were produced (nearly 10 years ago).

B5 RS4 was a 380 hp monster that ran high 12s in the 1/4 mile…the B5 S4 was 250hp and struggled to get under 14.5.
C5 RS6 was a 450 hp twin turbo V8 that we’ve seen run high 12s/low 13s…vs the C5 S6, a car that struggled to stay in the 14s
B7 RS4 was a 420 hp V8 that revved to 8200 RPM and ran 12.8 @ 108 while the S4 was 340 hp and ran around 13.8 @ 100-102

That’s the era we’re talking about. The B8 S4/S5 running high 12s @ 106 mph is the closest car we’ve seen to the RS compatriate, and it’s still not that close with the B8 RS4/RS5 running low 12s @ 110-112 mph. In a 1/4 mile race, that’s nearly 100 foot gap.

Not to mention handling etc.

The C6 S6 was a 420 hp car that ran high 13s. The C6 RS6 was a 560 hp car that ran mid 12s. Those are light years apart, and that’s by design. S6 = BMW 550i. RS6 = M5. These things are not close. There’s a big gap and that’s what it needs to be.

Another way…C6 S6 was $70,000. C6 RS6 if it were sold here would be $110,000.

Anyway, waiting for your comments on S8 performance.

The last thing I need is someone to explain Audi’s model lineup to me, or how the various cars compare in performance.

The NA V10 cars didn’t perform the way they could have. This was noted from the very first European tests of the cars when they were first released.

Back on topic, it’s great that JHM has uncorked more of the engine’s true potential. The performance increase shows how much was left on the table.

I had to take my car to a local shop today to deal with a broken radiator resulting from the coolant system finally running at, for the first time in probably years, the high pressure that it’s supposed to run at. Anyways, the shop is taking a look at the exhaust as well to see if they can pinpoint the source of the rattling noise. I almost towed my car back to JHM for the radiator replacement since at this point they’re the only shop I really trust, but I just couldn’t justify the added time and expense with taking it that far for a relatively minor repair. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite me.

I beg to differ lol

Listen dick head… You’re the one who questioned what I wrote… Then you backed it up with nothing… Then you ran away.

It’s OK to be wrong.

Bullshit

You can beg to differ all you like, but in this case, just like most of our other interactions, it’s YOU questioning something I wrote that led to the threadjack. Why you feel the need to argue on an internet forum with someone you don’t even know is a mystery to me, but if it makes you feel better about yourself, you go right ahead, big guy. You’ll be arguing with yourself, though, so have fun with that.

There’s no reason for me to explain my point of view to someone who sounds and acts more like a 3rd-grade schoolyard bully than anything else.

That’s me. Still have it, as well.

Hello everyone, had a chance to send out an update. Still enjoying the tune, was looking forward to another track day next weekend with more video, and some 0-60 runs along the way. However, the dreaded random misfires/rough starts have been plaguing me, so I believe it is time for a carbon clean. Being just shy of 25k since the last one, I don’t see any reason not to go this route. This will most likely push back the exhaust install until spring, but I’ll get the spacers and bypass installed and while the injectors are out, get them cleaned/flow tested. Not sure i can do the SAI delete, but that is on my list. No other details yet, making some calls tomorrow. With any luck, I’ll still be able to get some more runs in next weekend, and with much cooler weather and the carbon gone, the prospect of some quicker times.

Really like what i am reading about the JHM exhaust, seems like the perfect pairing for the tune. It was my next upgrade, but will have to wait because my car was in the shop longer than expected, and cost me much more than anticipated. Needed a new intake, the intake flaps were going. I had a new intake sent overnight from JHM. I opted to do the carbon clean mostly because the intake was already off, i was getting random misfires, rough starts, and it had been 25k since the last cleaning.

So after getting the car back, running smoothly with no codes, I was ready for track day on Sunday, but a small fuel leak kept me grounded. The leaking fitting was about 1/4 turn loose. So after 3 hours of trying to get the almost impossible to get to fitting tight, it was too late to get to the track. I regrouped, setup for a track run Friday night, only to find out they won’t run unless the temp is above 45, and of course, it was 45 so they weren’t going to open.

What i have seen is that the carbon clean and new intake seem to get me to max rpm much smoother and faster, the intake spacers absolutely doing the job of keeping the intake air cool. I was never able to even come close to touching the manifold after even a short drive, but now I can make the 30 mile highway drive home from work and it is actually cool to the touch. Being that the bypass was also done, no more unnecessary additional coolant heating.

Next Sunday is the next test and tune day at my local track, looks like the temps should be above 45, so hoping to get some timeslips posted.