Shift Fork Possible Issue

Hey all,
I currently am working on repairs for the mechatronic, I have the thing out and installed the repair kit, now I’m at the point where I need to set the shift forks and this is where I am a bit worried. Shift fork 1,3, and 4 click firmly into place and have a solid click sound as they go between positions, shift fork 2 on the other hand kinda sloppily slides through the positions never really clicking into place. It kinda clicks into place but it mostly just moves kinda freely. Hopefully I’m just overreacting but based on the movement of the other 3 I’m worried my problem is maybe something else.

hey did you ever figure out this issue? i have a simular issue but my top and 2nd shift fork will not move at all, re installed the mech unit with new boards but it still have a hard 2nd shift and sometimes no reverse. i really dont want to keep taking the mech apart and trying stuff if its the actual tranny but at this point i have no idea.

Hey! The transmission ended up being beyond saving, I would not recommend a used transmission as the quality is sub par on most examples. I did bring the car to Level10 Transmissions in New Jersey, for about $7k I had the transmission rebuilt with improved internals. I also got a warranty on the transmission. Overall Pat did a great job and so far it’s run better than ever.

did you get a new/repaired clutch as well for that money? audi have jacked the price of their faulty mechatronic as well? used to be 4k.

Yep, full transmission, new mech solenoids, clutch pack, and everything was upgraded to be stronger than the stock so the car could handle more.

The only thing you can upgrade is the Clutch packs. There are no other parts out there for strengthening the transmission. On the RS5 it is possible to use a C7 4.0t clutch pack that has an extra friction disc in each clutch basket to deal with the extra Torque the 4.0t has. This is a fairly popular upgrade but it does take some coding and a full adaption.

1 Like

I wonder if the cost of the audi OEM clutch as well has been put into a higher gear warranting an alternative even more. It is coming up I guess somewhere around the 100k mile mark for normal use.