So back from the dragstrip with some baseline passes

Took my 2019 RS5 coupe to the dragstrip to get some baseline passes today before I start modding it…

100% stock, 548 miles on it, 1/4 tank of 93… DA was 2,423 per dragtimes, my weather station showed slightly higher…
DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator Thompson Drag Raceway - DragTimes.com

Run 1 - Got there and went right into the staging lanes and was first in line, opened the hood and waited about 30 minutes before making a pass. All nannies off and in auto mode, IE let the car shift itself. I tried to shallow stage but the brakes on this car are touchy so wasn’t perfect but ok. I held the brake firm and stomped the gas on the first yellow and dumped the brake on the last yellow. Cut a decent light not that it matters… lol Car ran great and shifted flawlessly and I knew it was a fast time… Drove around and got the slip…

1.6404 60ft
4.7761 330ft
7.4031 1/8 mile
92.88 1/8 mph
9.6667 1000 foot et
11.6078 1/4 time
116.19 mph

I am very impressed with the stock ET and trap, I was honestly hoping for 11.7-11.8 at 115ish. Conditions were good but not great.

Made two more passes an 11.65 at 115.30 and a 11.70 at 116.50. Spun on the last run slightly as the sun was down and it was a little slick. Decided I was happy with the 11.60 and headed home…

Will be sending the ecu to APR either late this week or next week and will be back at it in the next few weeks, hoping for very low 11’s on tune only.

Here is the slip…

I don’t know much about the non V8 RS5s. I know there was a 3.0T in the RS5 for a while then a 3.0TT?

And back data on the car stock like rev limit shifting points transmission?

Great results for stock. You have had several cars now. In some regards new cars seem to be much faster but seem to be a bit souless. How do you feel overall with the driver interaction?

It’s technically 2.9L and TT over the S cars which are single turbo…

It’s a auto not dsg but works very well… I turn off all the nannies and let the computer shift but yes it shifts at redline and is pretty flawless, probably not as fast as DSG but works very well even in manual mode… W/O a tune you can’t build boost/revs off the line so pretty much launching off idle. APR is going to let me test their tune they’re working on which will build boost and I believe rev to 3500 or 4500 on launch so that will shave a ton of ET.

Thanks! I was happy and not a lot of people running these cars but it’s the fastest stock time. I should have stayed into the night as I have no doubt with cooler temps 11.5x was there and probably 117 traps. Not bad for stock, small v6 and not fully broken in…

It’s a point and shoot 1/4 car so not like running the TTRS or stick shift car but still fun obviously surprises people. As for on the street I think it’s a great driver really… Handles well, tight gear ratios so always in the powerband, tossable, looks nice, etc. It’s certainly not raw but I have other toys so I like it.

Hope all is well with you… Is Saki still around haven’t seen/heard from him in years. Hope he is doing well wonder if he still has the RS4… Take care bud!

That’s a great time! I’d kill for that 60ft. I trap at 116mph in a similar DA but I did those runs in the fall/spring in cooler temperatures, DA aside. I’m sure that helps. I think I’ve run 114 in 80 degree temps.

Anyway…back to your car. The 60ft. is just exceptional. Which tires did yours come with, the Pirelli’s or the Summitomo’s?

The ZF8 is a stout gearbox used in multiple makes and models. Thing is, your car being so new, it’ll actually get a bit faster as the engine wears in. Amazing. I did see one B9 RS5 on Dragy that ran a 11.1 but I’m assuming that was with mods. I think it said downpipes as the mod.

Congrats on the times and report back after the tune!

Thanks! I actually know I can do better on the 60ft time… My staging wasn’t spot on and it cost me a few hundredths…

Car came with 20 inch carbon package wheels with conti sport contact 6’s… quiet tire and they seem to be pretty good haven’t pushed the car too hard. Obviously, not the optimal drag race setup but it’ll work… Not the biggest fan of the wheels but they’re growing on me so we’ll see if I go aftermarket… Believe it or not they’re forged wheels and only weigh 26lbs each, which is pretty good for factory 20’s…

Yeah, I like the tranny so far… shifts nice and pretty fast and very consistent… dsg is quicker but much more finicky even the Porsche has it’s moments with it… lol Yeah, I have almost 600 miles now, but car isn’t stock anymore as ecu is on it’s way to APR for tune… Weather depending I’ll either race it this Sat., next Wed. or next Sat.

Best time so far I’ve found is 10.82 with different turbos and piggy… APR ran 10.94 on E85 stage 1+, IE upgraded hpfp and intake… DA was 2450… Hoping to get close to that with tune only and good air… Testing a tune that will have full boost on launch and stall to 3500rpm… low 1.5x 60s for sure just like the S4… should be fun!

Track posted a cool shot of my car launching last Wed. Can’t wait to get the spacers on so the wheels sit flush… ecu is in route to Opelika

118267949_3221495941303777_4542710191880080187_n

Staging and how you cut the light won’t have any effect on your 60ft. and honestly, that’s a REALLY good 60ft. I typically run a 1.8 on Michelin PS4S but I’m also lowered on what is essentially a track coil-over system so not optimal for drag racing and weight transfer.

I’d be very wary of going with full E85 too…it’ll eat your injectors alive. But if you can get down to a 1.5x 60ft., that’d be amazing. Definitely interested in your progress!

cutting a light I agree with as that only matters in bracket racing but not at all on staging… getting the right line, being perfectly straight coming out of the whole, shallow vs deep staging, timing the rev sweep/brake dump in the case of this car are all very important imo. guess those aren’t all “staging” per say but more pre run stuff, I refer to as staging…

Yeah, I don’t have a lot of stations around me that sell e85, but when apr does the 1+ with hpfp I’ll switch and at least make some passes and then go back to race gas. I don’t daily the S4, TTRS, or RS5 so running 100 is no biggie as there are a few stations locally that sell right at the pump. I put maybe 500 miles a year on each car so the extra hp is worth the expense imo. would have went 104 put my wife doesn’t like when I have drums of fuel in the garage… lol I’ll get low 1.5x’s no question, may need to swap to a better tire but we’ll see once I get some launches under boost…

MAN new cars are really keeping up with tech. Consider say the GM GNX 4.3 turbo of 30 years ago. They were super fast but a 2.9 motor today is really showing how tech is king.

Prime. Can you post geek stuff? I’d love to see some shots of the turbos and motor. Also any logging? I wonder what boost they run stock? To run those numbers you’d have to think stock your already pushing almost 20psi math wise anyway. It would seem like that the range would be from 18ish to 20ish. To accomplish that.

Thanks for taking us on the ride with you on this. It will be very exciting to see how this all comes together.

Justin, No doubt! I remember the Ty/Sy trucks they were awesome and honestly still are… Fast in their day, but you’re right the face they’re getting this out of a 2.9L motor is crazy…

Sure I’ll post some shots, raining here a bit so let me do it over the weekend when I can take it out of the garage… Haven’t logged yet and just learned my vagcom needs to be upgraded for this car, which is a bitch as I just had the ecu flashed and since it was bench flashed I have codes. I was able to clear most but it wouldn’t give me a good scan of what they are, so I’ll buy the new cable Friday. I want to be cautious since I’m running a race gas tune and don’t think anyone outside APR has ran it… It’s supposed to rain Sat. anyway so I’ll hit the strip next Wed. Won’t be able to get stock boost but I’ll find out as I’ll ask APR… I’m guessing you’re right on the boost if not more…

No problem, forums have changed and I’ve aged… Already having folks tell e how stupid I am racing the car with 500 miles and it’s going to blow and why tune it with race gas, yada yada… lol Record is 10.82 but dude had a ton of mods and upgraded turbos so I’d like to beat him tune only If 100 doesn’t do it I’ll switch to 104 tune… lol I want max performance and bought the car for fun so whatever… If it blows I’ll have a motor built… lol Anyway, I’ll get some pics and such this weekend and post. Bought a strut brace and tranny brace so going to install those anyway…

For the reason you just mentioned. This is why I just stay on this forum. All other forums seem to turn into a troll fest. FB is in most cases a place the trolls that couldn’t handle it in normal places.

I think what you’re seeing is people who can’t afford to do what you’re doing and they’re just hating on your excitement because they can’t or won’t have the balls to do what you’re doing.

2 Likes