SPRING IS ALMOST HERE AND ITS TIME TO GET READY FOR RACING ;-)

Hi guys,
As we all know spring is around the corner and we’re all getting ready for the upcoming racing season, if we’re not ready in the first place. My ride has been hibernating this winter for the most part and I’ve been debating if I should finally get an exhaust. I’ve been looking at three (3) main players AWE, MILLTECH and FAST INTENTIONS.
The other decision is RESONATED or NON-RESONATED. I’d like to squeeze out the most performance that I can without it making my ears bleed and having the man follow me with a book full of citations. Yes, I know about the exhaust giving little to no gains but I’m thinking if the S4 is breathing better, expelling the gases should assist with power production in some manner. Please let me know what your thoughts and experiences are since it will cost a pretty shiny turn of the century penny to get one of these. I’m leaning towards the FAST INTENTIONS full exhaust minus HFC’s for the simple reason that I don’t want the car to sound like everyone else’s and it seems like a solid system with straight thru piping. . Thanks in advance any feedback you can give me to help with my decision is appreciated as always.

like you said, there isn’t much to gain in performance, less than 10hp/ft-lbs. IMO the main reason to get an exhuast for this car is sound and fun, otherwise 2K for a performance gain your butt dyno will likely not notice is not worth it.

That is definitely the dilemma but figuring a tenth faster and sounding good might be enough to sway me to get it. If and/or when I do it’ll be after I get to the track a couple of times and squeeze out as much as I can from the car. We’ll see what happens once the warm weather comes around. Thanks for chiming in.

Some tracks have sound regulations. Milltek stays under the 91 db limits, mostly.

Not worried about what the decibel level will be at the track, more concerned about it on the public streets and cabin noise (drone). Have had exhausts on other Audi with flex-pipe and it would rot out every so often that’s why I’m thinking of going with FI amongst other reasons.

The stock exhaust seems good on the b8 s4. I think the thing to start with is what is the exhaust size for stock and what are the exhaust sizes for the aftermarket exhausts. Also what options do the afftermarket exhausts have.

With the two pulleys and that little more boost the car might gain more then normal with a better exhaust. On a forced inducted exhaust the motor isnt useing the exhaust to pull in the air like happens on a NA car. There is going to be gains from a proper exhaust but it might not be through the entire rev range. It might be more pronounced in certian RPM ranges

True, now are you implying it would be better on for the top end?

By the way, stock exhaust is 2.25 diameter. The AWE is supposedly 2.5 and tapers to 2.25, Milltek I’m not sure about and FI is 2.5 all the way back with X-Pipe. I’m thinking the exhaust if anything should be more noticeable in the higher rpm’s and give another 1-2 mph with maybe a tenth in the 1/4. Thoughts?

I think the position of the solar system affects 1/4 mile more than exhaust.

Hey man, it is good to see that someone else is really getting ready for Spring.

The Milltek exhaust is 2.37" or 2-3/8" according to their website.

I would go with the Fast Intensions exhaust. It is 2.5" all the way through. Which is what it should be for the 3.0T. The X-pipe looks to be in a better location than the other options. Along with it is high quality stainless steel so it will not rust out.

If it were my car then I would also do test pipes too. Other people have told me that the test pipes didn’t do anything for their car but I don’t know what other exhaust they had and which test pipes that they had so it is kind of not reliable information. The stock cat pipes just look so restrictive with the sharp bends, kinks in the tubing, and those cats right on the back of the engine can’t be helping for heat wise.

the fastest 3.0T S4 in the world has a stock exhaust
the fastest 3.0T S5 in the world has a stock exhaust

And people are still thinking of buying exhausts for ‘performance’?

Future-proofing for Stage III :smiley:

While it is true that the fastest cars have the stock exhaust, have we actually seen anybody run a true 2.5" system yet?

The APR/Corsa and Borla systems are full 2.5" systems.

My intentions are to take the car out as it is except for some prepping, since it’s been sitting most of the winter, and run it at E-Town since the prep is usually a lot better. I had no traction at Atco last fall my best 12.027 was had with lots of spin. Squeeze the most I can out of the car and then install the exhaust I chose to purchase and try again. Then I can see if it makes a difference in similar conditions. If all fails at least the car should sound good, lol. As for test pipes, I’m not even touching that subject for the time being although who knows what the future will bring. Now with the comments above about the fastest S4 being stock exhaust, how is that…? Both Primetime and Auditude have aftermarket systems with the exception of the EPL E85 tune car which is advertising that it’s on a stock exhaust. Thoughts…?

Listen to sound clips of the FI exhaust if you decide on it. not sure how it is with the stock cats but richie ran it years ago (maybe they’ve revised it?) and took it off due to unbearably drone.

Yes, I’ve been searching, can’t find too many video clips but looking at the Corsa also we’ll see what I’ll end up with. Although, it will not be until late spring early summer. I usually run in the spring and then fine everything for the fall season.

love the sound of the corsa, quite when taking it easy, loud as fuck at WOT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643AGIUNex8

It does sound great but still haven’t made up my mind 100% with what I’m going with, time will tell. In the meantime I’m going to attempt to run the car, as I said earlier, as is again and improve in the times.