SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLE 450

The SQ5 really is under rated from the factory as compared to the Macan S, but are any of us really surprised as we have all known this for many years in the S4s.

After testing out the Macan this weekend the SQ5 really is so much bang for your buck. The salesman tried his hardest to sell us his custom red, turd double brown shaded interior, classic 5 spoke two toned wheel, $82000 Macan S! We played along just so we could test the car out, and as he was talking it up and stated the price I asked him if the turbo was accidentally deleted, or if they confused the price of it with a turbo. He went on about all the “exclusive” options it had…Then I told him we just drove the SQ5 and were deciding between that and the Porsche, “so sell me the Porsche” His only response was why buy an Audi when you can have a Porsche? lol!

To option the Macan S similarly to the SQ5 we are in $8k more ($3300 for wheel upgrade vs the $800 on the Audi).

The Macan felt a bit cheap, less attention to detail during production, whereas the SQ5 felt built NOT being a “mass produced” car. Some of the biggest things for us was that:

1. Macan’s gas pedal delay (even in dynamic) was really bad as compared to the SQ5.
  2. Macan’s turbo lag sucked4. , and combine was that gas pedal delay it was just fuckin annoying.
  3. Macan’s PDK transmission was so much faster as compared to the SQ5’s standard 8 speed coming from the Q5 (only with a more aggressive calibration)
  4. Macan felt smaller, handled better even though it is a larger car, SQ5s size definitely felt larger at higher speeds
  5. Macan’s aesthetic exterior appearance was nicer if optioned properly, not to say the SQ5 was not (this is subjective)

In the end I dont think the exterior appearance, PDK, and additional 8k justify’s the “Porsche” brand. The salesman knew after I brought up all these irrefutable arguments during the drive, bitching about the gas pedal delay and turbo lag he had no chance at making a deal. So once we parked he took the keys claiming it was too hot outside, threw his business card at us and left. I have never, ever experienced that while shopping for a car.

Even better…guess what car he drove…Audi A4!!! LOL, but claimed he has a Macan GTS “on order”. Porsche is robbing everyone on that GTS…paying 15k for a tune ??? ??? ???

Great review thanks for taking the time to post that.

Macan has the looks and the at-the-limit handling edge, but who drives even a “performance” SUV at the edge?

Like the review said, the SQ5 is the most well-rounded screaming deal in this market niche.

The Macan GTS comes standard with a whole bunch of stuff that is optional on the Macan and Macan S. I also think it might have ceramic brakes? Is that possible?

I agree pricing wise it’s the best value. Similar to the s6 vs m5 debate. Or rs7 vs panamera turbo

I often ask this. To that end, why buy a supercharged V6 SUV? Get a 2.0T. Or a TDI. It’s a cruiser.

Of course, its been ages since I contributed anything

The ceramic brakes are actually optional on all 3 models - http://www.porsche.com/all/comparemodels/CompareNew.aspx?pool=usa&language=none&model1=95BAB1_250&model2=95BAS1_250&model3=95BAF1_250&compTab=3
Only the air suspension is the standard option difference between GTS and S

1. Because I will be driving it often ;D, as when I drive the current Mazda 3 it only pisses me off every time. We will keep it stock, not planning on stage 2+ or anything like that
  2. Q5s are everywhere in SLC, and she needs to stand out from the crowd as a interior designer. A black optic SQ5 should do the trick
  3. SQ5 actually has some forged internals over the standard Q5 3.0T

Really is an amazing deal for what you get out of the box

[quote=“bigserve134,post:20,topic:8707”]
;D

I am the crazy guy that drives a Porsche the like Porsche truck. That said if at the limit doesn’t matter and ultra sporty doesn’t matter and better dollar per value sq5 all day. Especially if you like superchargers over turbochargers.

Its good to have you posting again here.

Also the underlined had me laughing. I think I would get pissed driving a mazda 3 too. A SQ5 is a big jump out of that.

do you know what is actually forged. I have heard that before but never found out what is actually stronger.

Yes, I’d like to know the details as well. The dealers told me it was stronger as well then the base 3.0t in the q5, I thought it was similar to the s4 motor but I could be wrong. No one could confirm that for me a few years ago

Found some more details on that

[quote]Much more than a ‘chipped’ 3.0T

Fundamentally, the 3.0-liter supercharged V-6 follows the same design as that in the Q5 3.0T. Yet in case you’re wondering, you can’t simply ‘chip’ a Q5 3.0T and arrive at an SQ5; there are plenty of serious upgrades in the SQ5. Compared to the existing supercharged V-6 of the same displacement in Q5 3.0T models, the engine in the SQ5 has a stronger crank, stiffer block, and different intake and exhaust manifolds. Brakes have been upgraded—both with bigger rotors and calipers and with a stronger brake booster—and engine cooling capacity has been raised. To work with that, there’s a larger front end, for more airflow under the hood (that, plus wider tires actually make its coefficient of drag a bit higher).
[/quote]
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1087243_2014-audi-sq5-first-drive

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1087243_2014-audi-sq5-first-drive
[/quote]
Sounds reasonable. Thanks!

mostly fluff if we’re honest. Nobody is doing any of those modifications other than maybe bigger rotors. Nobody is sitting around saying ‘I just don’t think the crank in my Q5 is stiff enough…’

do you even have a car? You’re in every forum saying you’re going to buy one.

Huh, what does that mean?

Back on topic, did a car get purchased?

that was me asking you if you have a car. If so, what do you have? Post a pic. You’re posting about buying every car under the sun, and about owning/driving tons but it doesn’t seem you own any.

Haha ok, Saki whatever you want :slight_smile: can’t we all just get along?

^^ it’s just a question. I’m curious as well as to what you’re driving.

seems to be an approach you take all over the internet…fantasy buying all kinds of cars. But actually buying none.

fantasizing about buying a 911 turbo…
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/368398-wtb-996tt-40-a-2.html#post4369401

fantasizing about buying a black series AMG
http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/819758-08-clk-63-amg-black-series-5.html#post13258882

fantasizing about buying an M5
http://e60.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345776

So…what do you drive? We’d love to see.