Struts and shocks q

Hello folks - have 2007 s6 thats needs suspension refresh and I’m running into confilicting info, did search here, online, bilstein website etc.

Basically I’m trying to retain original ride quality or maybe slight improvement. I’m familiar with lowering springs, kw, bilstein b16s etc but is there anything similar to oem? are b8s only for lowering springs or our cars considered lowered already? Basically is there set of bilsteins I can just put in and have a good ride?

I had dealer pull front struts # based on vin and when i installed them the spring is no longer compressed, it actually just sits and can be moved by hand, which makes me thing I need new springs as wel? Have you ever heard/seen such a thing? The spring, fully installed on the strut is literally loose and offers no resistance at all, as if the strut piston is too long and doesnt compress the spring at all.

Again dealer matched vin with correct spring color code but they are in germany and it will take some time to get here. I had hr on previous cars and felt ride was too harsh.

Thanks!

A6

S6

RS6

Very cool - thanks for sharing definitely saving this! So I’m like a 5 year old here, so B6 should work no problem with our coils?

My coil is pink and yellow mark, these seem to go on a6 as well in some configurations, is it safe to say that coils are compressed and no longer good because of the weight? Or dealer sent me wrong strut part number and piston is too long?

Is sline or sport a6 using same coils?

@Jymmybob welcome! Unless king kong sat on your hood one time I would say the struts are incorrect. Springs can get smaller if a coil snaps off from rust, or deform under extreme load although not common. Does the front of your car sit higher with these struts?

@audis6 where can I get these blueprints? I’d love to print some of these for garage wall art

Form google :grin:

Honestly I think I agree with you, because height on both sides is the same - the springs couldn’t both deform at the same time in same exact way, sans king Kong theory of course. Measuring from floor to fender edge via middle of the wheel its 69cm exactly. In the above pic the 108mm measurement is not possible the car would be on the ground.

Hello folks, quick update, went with bilstein b9s all around and the ride was immediately improved, left original coils on. Some feedback online about bilstein was that ride was too harsh but car rides real nice and super comfortable. I did upgrade rear sway bar as well to hr and that was also great mod. Thanks again!

1 Like