Teaser: APR 3.0 TFSI Stage III Supercharger System

I took a quick look at APRs fb page before posting and saw no mention of it but that was hours ago.

It’s be funny if that was the s5 cab with the 3.0 and apexit was actually right lol.

you may be onto something Ron.

everyone does

They don’t necessary release more than one at a time.

Has anyone else confirmed this s5 4.2 release? ie APR themselves? Just seems like an excited dealer jumping the gun, that pic.

I took a quick look at APRs fb page before posting and saw no mention of it but that was hours ago.

It’s be funny if that was the s5 cab with the 3.0 and apexit was actually right lol.

[QUOTE=Arin@APR;9542203]Engineering is still working on it and now that the S5 and the R8 kits are nearing release, more resources will be devoted to the 3.0T.

Sometimes I don’t like to share too much during the development process if I’m not confident the results are indicative of the final product. Often times people hold onto information as if it’s fact, good or bad. Show a great dyno number on a fun glory pull we later determine is not repeatable or safe, and then everyone is left questioning why we toned it down for the final product release. Show a low development pull, and people go bananas. Likewise, show an issue along the way, and the second someone else has an issue, they jump to the conclusion it’s something we saw during development, even if it’s completely unrelated.

When development first started we began with the stock throttle body with plans to advance to a larger unit. Therefor, I did not want to share those results till I was on the final throttle body. Keep in mind, getting a larger throttle body to work is not plug and play either. It requires extensive code/calibration changes to operate perfectly under all conditions, and with the number of projects we had going on, it took a while.

Next was a series of test where we began slowly reducing pulley size till we arrived at the one we wanted to use. Likewise here, I didn’t have any desire to share the results till we were using the pulley that would go with the kit.

Then we worked on the CPS to ensure it was the best it could be. Heck, we even eliminated it all together and ran coolant from a continuous external source directly into and out of the blower to see if the results were any different than our final CPS configuration. It was overkill, but pretty fun test.

Obviously there were delays along the way that shifted the time line. Clutch was one of them. I ate up those DXD discs with ease. I also tried their full setup with a special motorsport disc and it didn’t work at all. Finally I had a custom setup made and it held everything I could throw at it. It held enough to rip out the rear end and cause another delay (FYI: Make sure your rear sub frame bolts are all tight before launching – Mine had some slack in it and the bolt was loose. I can assure you, the S4’s rear end wasn’t happy with that lose bolt, and that caused another delay).

All during this time we were using a quick casting version of the supercharger. This allowed us to get a base calibration and time on the street for extended testing with a small pulley and high boost. Now, keep in mind the quick casting process is not the same as the final product. The quick casting is quick to produce, as the name suggests, but it’s extremely expensive. Also casting was from a different foundry in Germany. Please, keep that in mind to avoid the “jump to conclusions” approach some take when flaws are found during development.

We ran the quick casted unit for months and during development we ran into some trouble with the casting. Because of this, I wasn’t sure if the data we collected was skewed or invalidated from the casting flaws and this was near the time I was getting ready to start talking about the product a little more. I decided not to share results for the reasons I described above. I did not want to go into details yet with the forum because I had very little data about how the casting flaws could affect the results. All I knew was there was a flaw and what I collected so far may or may not be accurate. I didn’t want to take chances, and I didn’t want to talk about the casting flaw and cause people to freak out.

At any rate the casting flaw pretty much blew the timeline and left me questioning all results going forward. We worked with Magnusson to get a production unit to continue testing but our timetables were not aligning. You can’t just spit these things out quickly if you’re not ready to do so. Machining them also is a process of its own. So, the original quick cast was sent off and refurbished with a completely new rotating assembly. That caused some setbacks and shifted the timeline, which was then focused on several other supercharger projects, instead of the S4. Personally, I still wasn’t happy I would be using a non-production unit again, therefore I personally chose to not discuss the product till I had REAL, confirmed, data in my hand. Yes, I did tease a blurry dyno graph and a quick sprint down the highway. I had to share something to let people know we were still working on it and personally, I thought the car sounded awesome. It was too good not to share.

Magnuson was able to rush us a unit before our distributor conference the other week, but it arrived the day before, and did not give us enough time to conduct testing we could share at the conference. We simply told dealers we had some snags along the way and that we would be working on it.

So, that’s about it. Calibration will be full into it again shortly. When I have real updates with real data I’m confident is indicative of the real and final product, I’ll share it. But, until then, I’m sorry; I don’t have much to say. I know some will say, “Why didn’t you just say this before?” The answer is, I really couldn’t. I was never in a position of confidence in what to say. I didn’t know what was right or wrong, therefore I chose to say nothing till I had more time and data. That’s the short and skinny of it.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty cool that Arin did that detailed of an update…

[QUOTE=Arin@APR;9542203]Engineering is still working on it and now that the S5 and the R8 kits are nearing release, more resources will be devoted to the 3.0T.

Sometimes I don’t like to share too much during the development process if I’m not confident the results are indicative of the final product. Often times people hold onto information as if it’s fact, good or bad. Show a great dyno number on a fun glory pull we later determine is not repeatable or safe, and then everyone is left questioning why we toned it down for the final product release. Show a low development pull, and people go bananas. Likewise, show an issue along the way, and the second someone else has an issue, they jump to the conclusion it’s something we saw during development, even if it’s completely unrelated.

When development first started we began with the stock throttle body with plans to advance to a larger unit. Therefor, I did not want to share those results till I was on the final throttle body. Keep in mind, getting a larger throttle body to work is not plug and play either. It requires extensive code/calibration changes to operate perfectly under all conditions, and with the number of projects we had going on, it took a while.

Next was a series of test where we began slowly reducing pulley size till we arrived at the one we wanted to use. Likewise here, I didn’t have any desire to share the results till we were using the pulley that would go with the kit.

Then we worked on the CPS to ensure it was the best it could be. Heck, we even eliminated it all together and ran coolant from a continuous external source directly into and out of the blower to see if the results were any different than our final CPS configuration. It was overkill, but pretty fun test.

Obviously there were delays along the way that shifted the time line. Clutch was one of them. I ate up those DXD discs with ease. I also tried their full setup with a special motorsport disc and it didn’t work at all. Finally I had a custom setup made and it held everything I could throw at it. It held enough to rip out the rear end and cause another delay (FYI: Make sure your rear sub frame bolts are all tight before launching – Mine had some slack in it and the bolt was loose. I can assure you, the S4’s rear end wasn’t happy with that lose bolt, and that caused another delay).

All during this time we were using a quick casting version of the supercharger. This allowed us to get a base calibration and time on the street for extended testing with a small pulley and high boost. Now, keep in mind the quick casting process is not the same as the final product. The quick casting is quick to produce, as the name suggests, but it’s extremely expensive. Also casting was from a different foundry in Germany. Please, keep that in mind to avoid the “jump to conclusions” approach some take when flaws are found during development.

We ran the quick casted unit for months and during development we ran into some trouble with the casting. Because of this, I wasn’t sure if the data we collected was skewed or invalidated from the casting flaws and this was near the time I was getting ready to start talking about the product a little more. I decided not to share results for the reasons I described above. I did not want to go into details yet with the forum because I had very little data about how the casting flaws could affect the results. All I knew was there was a flaw and what I collected so far may or may not be accurate. I didn’t want to take chances, and I didn’t want to talk about the casting flaw and cause people to freak out.

At any rate the casting flaw pretty much blew the timeline and left me questioning all results going forward. We worked with Magnusson to get a production unit to continue testing but our timetables were not aligning. You can’t just spit these things out quickly if you’re not ready to do so. Machining them also is a process of its own. So, the original quick cast was sent off and refurbished with a completely new rotating assembly. That caused some setbacks and shifted the timeline, which was then focused on several other supercharger projects, instead of the S4. Personally, I still wasn’t happy I would be using a non-production unit again, therefore I personally chose to not discuss the product till I had REAL, confirmed, data in my hand. Yes, I did tease a blurry dyno graph and a quick sprint down the highway. I had to share something to let people know we were still working on it and personally, I thought the car sounded awesome. It was too good not to share.

Magnuson was able to rush us a unit before our distributor conference the other week, but it arrived the day before, and did not give us enough time to conduct testing we could share at the conference. We simply told dealers we had some snags along the way and that we would be working on it.

So, that’s about it. Calibration will be full into it again shortly. When I have real updates with real data I’m confident is indicative of the real and final product, I’ll share it. But, until then, I’m sorry; I don’t have much to say. I know some will say, “Why didn’t you just say this before?” The answer is, I really couldn’t. I was never in a position of confidence in what to say. I didn’t know what was right or wrong, therefore I chose to say nothing till I had more time and data. That’s the short and skinny of it.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty cool that Arin did that detailed of an update…

Thanks for posting this cloch. Where was this audizine? Ha I pretty much come here only now, it’s a lot less to read and keeps to the important points.

Thanks for posting this cloch. Where was this audizine? Ha I pretty much come here only now, it’s a lot less to read and keeps to the important points.

No prob. Ya that was on APR’s teaser thread on AZ. Now 65 pages long.

I have gone to the beginning of this thread and the AZ one, it’s pretty funny watching people drool over something that was intended to be released much earlier. You slowly start to see the thread lose steam and interest, then frustrations rise, etc…

No doubt in my mind that if/when this is released it will be awesome!

No prob. Ya that was on APR’s teaser thread on AZ. Now 65 pages long.

I have gone to the beginning of this thread and the AZ one, it’s pretty funny watching people drool over something that was intended to be released much earlier. You slowly start to see the thread lose steam and interest, then frustrations rise, etc…

No doubt in my mind that if/when this is released it will be awesome!

There are a lot of new hints and info being dropped by Arin on the AZ version of this thread. Did he basically say that it would be $10k and require CPS?

-Skid

Here, I’ll save you some searching.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/517989-Teaser-APR-3-0-TFSI-Stage-III-Supercharger-System?p=9938255&viewfull=1#post9938255

The but not less part takes some of the excitement out. However if the performance is right the price won’t much matter. I’d love to hear more.

He said it will be $10,000+

In reality it’s probably $10,500 to 10,995

Add to that
1 Apr cps for 2,000 (must have)
2 DSG tune (hinted at being required… Sounds like drivability sucks without it)
3 fluids etc for 200 ish (must have)

So really? $13,000… Not including the DSG tune

Anyone have that in our poll/pool?

P. S. What happened to richib86?