Tensioner wheel bent

I forgot to post this when I took the belt and tensioner off but when I did I had noticed that the one side of the wheel was bent in like this. Any idea how this could have happened? Also I bent it back with pliers and hit it with a dremel to smooth out any rough edges - anyone see any issues with putting it back on?

I consider tensioners to be a maintenance item. They often freeze over time so that you cannot adjust the belt tension. If it hasn’t already been done, I would put a new tensioner and belt on.

So I have a new one and replacing it is likely what I’ll do. I also did have the belt jump off the first time I installed it as I didn’t have enough tension on it. You think that could have caused the side of the roller to deform like that?

I’d be surprised if it would bend that easily. Did you pry against it?

Yeah I’m in the same boat with you - but it’s the only thing I can think of that would or could have deformed the tensioner wheel like that. I do not recall prying anything. Both times I’ve adjusted the belt I just loosened the tensioner and the belt slid right on. I dunno it’s just really weird. I’m gonna put the new one on and obviously keep an eye out. Was hoping someone might see it and go “oh yeah that happened to me here’s why”… but no such luck.

I discovered the same thing when my mechanic replaced the front crankshaft seal. I ended up replacing it on his recommendation.

Weird. At least now I know I’m not the only one. Something I’ll have to keep an eye out for. I have another brand new one on right now so hopefully it’s just a fluke thing.

I thought mine was a fluke thing. It was installed about 15K miles ago. Hopefully, all the flukes are done with…