the v10 s6 project

Haha, yeah, the Milltek is an amazing sounding exhaust, but the piping was undersized, considering the other modifications we have planned.

When you are ready for a set of headers, just let me know and Ill see what can be done :slight_smile:

Those look incredible. Your headers are probably very close in length you can see from the picture where the bends add length to your headers. The top set has too many turns and flow going to wrong way too many times. You want sweeps not too many twists like that. Headers take a lot of planning. Old Chevy headers were just some pipes longer then the stock manifolds. The real issues are if you make the tube longer it helps make tq but it will kill upper rpm hp. To keep upper rpm hp you want to make the pipes close to the same length and make sure you have a merge collection. Back in the day and any cheep china junk header has pipes but no merge collector. The merge collector is what ties it all together. That’s when the term tuned headers comes into play. When you get into tuned headers you know what pipes need to be longer and what pipes need to enter the merge collector and at what position.

Headers do different things based off there design and demintions. The top looks like they just went for equal length with a short merge collector. Both are made really well. Your current set looks like it should add more peak hp and a braud tq range then the others. Both will destroy what the stock units made.

The other thing to consider regarding primary lengths is the firing order of the engine. Cross plane V8s are more sensitive to equal lengths due to the uneven firing interval bank to bank; ie you could exacerbate the collector crowding/pulse overlap by making the second pulse reach the collector sooner due to a shorter path (uneven length).

I’d have to do some maths on the V10 to figure out potential effects. Are this split or common pin?

And is that a coolant pipe on the S8?

Awesome job! Cant wait for the results!!

Man those headers are gorgeous. Really looking forward to hearing that V10 roar when all is said and done.

Thanks guys!

Good info B!

Split pin on the S6/S8. Common on the R8

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11870842/p4pb11870842.jpg

Looks like a coolant pipe on both the S6 and S8

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11870841/p4pb11870841.jpg

Coolant pipe was a nightmare when we installing the headers for the first time on beemercers A6 4.2

He may be having flashbacks like Vietnam dog.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/052009/1243594993_cupcakedog-war-flashbacks.gif

Lol at the gif. The funny thing is, i was so exhausted during both those Detroit trips that I actually don’t remember much of anything about them.

I bet you remember the drive home :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlPXTAgOAWA

That car was awesome.

I think the big issue is that most people really don’t know that all headers are not created equal. And that just having long pipes doesn’t make for the best headers. When you look at these project v10 headers you can really tell each time you look that there’s a lot of thought into them.

Reading you post so far I noticed you’re going colder on the plugs it sounds like a good idea just wondering where the idea came from (someones past experience Etc?) Also what plugs you’re going to use. Thanks!

There is a plan for the car that hasnt been totally revealed, as of yet. The colder plugs are part of that plan. The plan has been laid out by guys who have a ton of hands-on experience with getting the most power out of the Audi NA v8s. So, while the colder plugs may make sense for this particular project, they wont necessarily make sense for another v10 build. It all depends on what your other mods are, and how the car is tuned.

Also, it is important to remember that everything that we are doing with the v10 S6 is purely exploratory. We are spec’ing one degree colder plugs right now, but maybe down the road we end up swapping them for two degree colder ones, or maybe we go back to standard by the time all is said and done.

No one has really done this type of investigation before with the v10, so everything that is part of the initial plan is a ‘best guess’ based on past experience. From there, the total system will be tested, and refined. That is why this type of project takes so long. We arent just randomly slapping a bunch of ‘go fast’ performance parts on a car and hoping for the best. That is kind of what is already out there for the v10 S6, and it results in cars that are lucky to get a sub-14 1/4 mile. Instead, we are designing a total system, where every part works well in conjunction with each other part. A truly tuned system.

When you are dealing with various different components in the system, the trial and error to find the right formula takes a lot of time. There are no shortcuts. When you get it right though, then the total system gain is much greater then youll get from just the individual parts on their own. And that is what we are hoping to achieve.

nitrous? I’ll have to ask the big guy how the primaries are sized

regarding my previous comment on header design, do you happen to have the firing order? split pin 90* V10 will fire evenly every 72* of crank rotation, but if the firing order doubles up on one side like a split pin V8 then there could be some interesting effects

Yeah, best to talk to the big guy :slight_smile:

This should give you what you need I think. If you need the full firing order, I can probably get it.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11876208/p4pb11876208.jpg

yeah thats real valuable information, it goes bank to bank (144* between each firing on each bank, 72* between banks). equal length would be nice, but I doubt it’ll have as strong an effect as a cross plane v8

Beem, the firing order is: 1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9

The driver’s side coolant pipe sucks on the BHFs. I tend to cut off the rear bracket to be able to get the pipe in and out.

Update, where’s the updated on this build? Going through withdrawals here.
Want those headers, are they going to be brought to market?

Sorry about the delayed updates guys. Proper development takes time, but Ill keep everyone updated on what is happening.

Aside from the performance modifications to the drivetrain, I also have a bunch of other stuff planned. Ill try get some details posted within a few days, with a sneak peak into the other planned mods.

As far as bringing the headers to market, if you are interested in a set, PM me and Ill see what I can do.

Mods I would like to report advertising without being a sponsor.

Oh wait this isn’t Audizine
and
you are not FlyingTomatoes.

In that case please proceed.