the ZF Lurch in the Audi S6

I think that’s part of the possible answer. If it’s software related then yes it should be fixed. If it’s strictly a hardware issue i dont know that it’s something that would be fixed.

Would it be that the transmission can’t completely handle the V10 5.2L engine? I don’t personally own a S6 (yet ;)), so I’m probably just shooting in the dark. I’m just curious as to why there seems to be so many technical issues with the V10 engine. Does the RS6 and R8 experience the same issues with misfires, carbon buildup (in the huge amounts the S6 C6 does) and “lurches” (or transmission issues) frequently?

Great questions.

Power wise the rs6 v10 tt has the same transmission code so there could possibly be beefier components but u personally don’t know.

Paul said from what I understand neat software seemed to sort out his issue and it looks like lots of the other ZF lurch stories are solved with software. Or that’s what the people are reporting.

All the FSI cars get carbon and misfires. If the carbon gets bad enough. The RS4 guys get the same thing and they also end up replacing injectors and other components as well. So the formula for keeping the v10 in good health is to mimic what the other na FSI guys do.

The rs6 gets carbon but due to it being force induction it’s usually not as bad. It’s still an issue but FI cars seem to be a little better on carbon service intervals.

The R8 has a different transmission so that plays a different roll.

I never experienced this with my 2010 - in regular mode or in S mode.

That is encouraging news.

Do you have low mileage on that 2010? What’s the average use? How often do you have maintenance done? Have you had any work/issues fixed in the past?

Mine is a 2010. 60k miles. Has been lurching since I got it at 47k miles. Only in S mode.

Thanks for all the reports everyone. Here is my info…

What year and model is your car?

Does your car experience Variant 1, Variant 2, or both?
Seems like both

Does it happen in certain conditions, and not in others (e.g. when driving when car is cold, when using sport mode, etc)
Not sure. Didnt have the car long enough to test

Has the dealer done any fixes for the issue? Have they worked?
Not that I know of, and the car is long out of warranty

Have you done any other updates or changes that resolved (partially or fully) the issue?
My car will be used to hopefully, develop a fix for these issues

Can the few guys that don’t have the issue seem to be new cars and Paul whp got an update.

Can you guys list your software version that might help us track down if a certain version of software fixed it

My s6 only did this when the brakes needed replacing and upon warmup. If brake pads a calipers had a lot of meat it was no problem even when at warm up.

My software was up to date as well

My 2008 S6 does #2 in sport mode only, gets lost during a slow stop between 2nd and 1st. If I dont pay attention, manually shift it to 1st, I get the major slam! Getting ready to do a fuild drain and filter change. Will advise if any improvement I tried to get the Dealer to fix while under warranty, no luck, I didn’t yell loud enough.
Car has 110K on it now, good reliablity overall, minimal problems.

2008 Audi S6
Variants experienced: BOTH
79k miles, been happening since I bought it with 53k
No dealer action has been taken, no fixes, nothing

Variant 1: To ensure I’m experiencing the same issue, when I’m coming to a stop, as the car downshifts (or I downshift, either way) to first gear, if the brake is applied, the car will lurch in varying intensities. If the brake is not applied during the downshift itself, the lurch will not happen at all.

Variant 2: Seemingly less commonly, if accelerating during the downshift from gear 2 to 1, depending on when you began accelerating during the downshift, the car will almost trip up and lurch. If I wait until the car has shifted into gear 1 completely, I have no issues accelerating.

Another observation, possibly related:
Sometimes, the car will stop accelerating at 6k RPM almost exactly in second gear after accelerating from a stop. First gear will go all the way to the redline, I’ll shift, second gear will get to 6k rpm, and the car will decide to take a nap. It doesn’t always happen, and I’ve had other issues I’ve been trying to resolve so I don’t have all the data that I need on it yet.

I don’t use Sport Mode, but I definitely noticed it more when I did, but I had just purchased the car at that point so I’m not sure if it happened more frequently or the same in sport mode, although if I had to guess, I’d definitely say it happened more in Sport Mode for me.

Well it seems like your not alone in the ZF surge and your not alone in the 6000 rpm loss of power.