Torque converter Fixed/JHM TCU installed

Hello Everybody,
So i finally had some time to fix my faulty torque converter. In addition to that I got my TCU back from JHM and went for my first test drive.

Hollyyyyy f… what? that was my first comment, as the car went through the first and second gear.
The shifts were so quick, powerful & jerky i could not wipe the smile out of my face. the rest of the gears did shift nice and quick but not as quickly as the first and second gear. I found the first gear very jerky wen it shifts. You wont believe, but it shift the first few gears like a DSG and then becomes less aggressive . During the first shift the car jumps instantly forward, it makes another small jump when the third gear is engaged. It seems like it doesn’t really matter how much of throttle you apply…you going to feel it.

I am not saying the car is super fast now. I just Think it used to be SO MUCH SLOWER

You CAN NOT COMPARE the GIAC TCU tune that was installed on the car before against JHM. GIAC doesn’t work. Please don’t waste your money!

I drove my friend, my fife, my dad…and everybody sad one thing: "wow’

In addition to that., I was going to cut out the pre-cat…However my car doesn’t have one (one single cat)
I decided to live it as is and spend another month or two waiting for JHM Downpipes. I guess if they are not ready i will be making a decision forward with Labree.

short video… i will try to shoot another one sometime soon

Nice… a local guy here has a 3.0 and lest year at a fall event I went for a ride. .its impressive when you c9nsider just how bad the 3.0 is in full stock form…It isnt the first jhm 3.0 car I have been in but the jhm automatic program is very dsg like

Agree. I can not imagine how good it is with dowpipes installed.

Damn it, wish our b5 would have been successful with this upgrade. Years back we tried on 2 different ocassions but the tcu just wouldn’t take the reprogram? Jason tried a couple different times but my car just wasn’t having it. Weird.

Might go back and see if we have better luck. Maybe some updates have come about?

Always cool to hear an owner happy over the results.

Maxnik,

Glad to hear you like it. That really wakes up the 3.0 transmission. Getting the Dps will help ALOT if you have the JHM tune in the ECU as well.

Really? maybe you had a 156 TCU. Some TCU boxes don’t like changes, others need to have ECU changes made or they won’t work.

Yessir, whats this 156 tcu you speak of?

This was about 4-5 years ago when we got our first silver avant (still have it). Made a couple trips to Lathrop and it just wouldn’t take. Limp mode, stuck in 3rd, etc…Jason mentioned it very well may have been the ecu tune at the time (unitronic). Since been reflashed to an epl. Maybe, and probably, should and should have went JHM ecu / tcu.

CV - You think we can work around the epl ecu tune to get the tcu work? Would love to get it reprogrammed!

The old A6 4.2s had the small tcu 156. If your b5 has a small tcu (156) then it would make sence that your uni tune was stopping the tcu tune from working. I would say the same is going to be true with your epl tune as jhm needs to add a few lines of programming into the ecu. I know they needed to on the A6 to make it work I would see the b5 being same

Better off just getting jhm ecu+tcu…very possible

I would think thats the best way to go.

TCU tune is really great. Feels so punchy going from 1st to 2nd. I find it’s better for daily driving too, as when you aren’t flooring it the shifts are a lot smoother than stock programming.

DP’s in a month or two? heh… we’ll see.

JHM ECU has been installed a month a go and i am still enjoying it every day.
I am totally agree with Zingo’s JHM tune review that JHM TCU+ECU= is pure sex.

While waiting for the JHM downpipes i have picked up a nice set of S4 Recoro seats and drop them off to New Image.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dlnm39.jpg