Torque converter issue

I’ve been thinking a lot about what to do, you know, car is getting older, i should start looking for another ride stuff. Well, i just got back from picking up lunch, and i am convinced i am going to drive a V10 forever.

With that said, i have a torque converter issue that needs to be addressed. I’ve been driving around for several months with P0741 code- Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred. I’ve cleared it, but comes back and I can feel it’s not locking up. Still driveable, but don’t need grow into other issues.

I visited a well known/reputable trans shop near work and met with the owner who gave me an estimate of between 2-3k to replace the converter with an aftermarket upgrade, not sure of any detailed specs. Anyone ever have a TC replaced on their S6? If so, is the cost reasonable, and if there are any other things i should check before i go and have it replaced?

I’m at 170k miles, looking at carbon clean, replace injectors and coil packs. With that and the new converter, I’m hoping to get past 200k without too much trouble. :wink:

i welcome any thoughts on the TC, as well as any input on cleaning injectors with 85k on them, didn’t think that was the best route.

Thanks in advance, I wouldn’t go anywhere else for advice.

That sounds like a lot of money for the TC replace.

The Torque converter Clutch stuck off is a normal code for these converters more so on the 5hp side. Most of the time one of the rubber rings that keeps the fluid in the converter just goes bad or starts leaking. You can see it more often on higher mileage cars or soon after people change there transmission fluid.

I WOULD NOT put in an aftermarket TQ converter. You can probably do well with a used converter in most cases depending on the price of a new converter. Basically the OEM one made it to 150k miles without an issue. So I don’t see the logic in getting anything different.

The cost of labor should be roughly that of changing a clutch as your basically doing the exact same thing when doing a converter swap.

Thanks Justin, that did seem on the high side for labor. I wasn’t sure what was involved with replacing one. As far as the converter, my issue was simply cost related as stock replacement is $1500-$2000, aftermarket replacement about $600. I am looking at used oem, but not many out there, and they’re mostly from high mileage cars. I’m also looking at rebuilt oem, which might be the best compromise. I’ll check out some other local shops for replacement costs.

If you can replace a clutch you can replace the Tq converter it’s almost the exact same thing.

The biggest hold up is getting the starter off as that’s going to be a bit of a pain in the ass. The aftermarket option might not be bad but you don’t want them to do anything with the stall of the converter. As your TCU controls the amount of stall speed that is allowed. When you look at what you can do with the stock converter there isn’t much sense in trying to do anything fancy with the OEM unit.