V8 4.0tt Swap

Seriously! I keep periodically checking thinking after the release of this updated new R8 the previous ones will drop 20% in price.

My point was to say for around 100k a R8 with the 4.0TT (RS7 tuned swapped) will be faster than a brand new 200k R8…probably not faster than a 2+ million chiyron in a straight line.

It was all in theory. I took your numbers you posted and added 10k total for the bigger turbo 4.0TT. As I said 6months would be the longest I could wait, anything longer it would not be worth it. Not sure why your assuming the “ham fist the shifts and lose to a tuned B8 S4 on race gas” ??? still disagree there as well.

You really like a tuned B8 S4 dsg on race gas will beat a R8 with a tuned RS7 engine with a decent driver ??? The S4 is down heaps of tq and power AND up 300lbs in weight. Keep in mind the R8 is 600 lbs less than the RS7…it will be trapping a lot higher than the 129mph tuned RS7

You still think the race gas tuned B8 S4 with the highest ever trap of 123mph will beat this frankenstein R8?

Again I’m just going on theory using your numbers; I’m a pharmacist that likes to play with numbers. If this could be made within 6 months for around 100k AND reliable like the kit I currently have; to me it’s a killer combo.

Would the driveline hold? probably not.
clutch? no. would need JHM love there.
Other moving parts subject to that tq increase that will be in jeopardy - probably.

I’ve seen 500-600-700-800 hp cars at the dragstrip and they’re rarely quick as

1. they don’t have AWD
  2. they don’t have a lightning shifting DSG transmission
  3. people don’t know how to drive

You made a big assumption that we’re suddenly going to have some great driver at the helm…yeah because most guys dumping $100,000 + into a build are great drivers lol. Rarely. I would submit that 70% of the forum wouldn’t run a time within half a second of a good driver, in any car.

So you’re comparing the DSG B8, which is about as flawless at putting down its modest power as it gets, with a manual transmission R8 with a twin turbo V8 with a big boost hit and no automatic transmission to keep the boost up as the driver fights his way through the notchy shifter.

The record books are full of cars that make 600 whp, trap 130 and run 11.9. That’s what an R8 twin turbo manual trans would do.

What’s the fastest ever manual transmission R8? don’t forget there are 4.2 twin turbo and 5.2 twin turbo R8s all over the world.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-R8-Timeslip-27876.html

143 mph = about 800-900 whp, or 1000 hp give or take. It’s an AMS Alpha 10, which is their 1000 hp kit. That’s an AMS alpha and they have real deal drivers driving their cars for testing.
It went 10.7. That’s terrible frankly considering the power it’s making. The JHM RS4 went 10.7 with about 150 whp less than that. @ 129-130 mph.
It’s just tough to put power down, especially in an R8 that is essentially RWD (80%), and with a manual trans losing boost…just not as easy as you might think. that car would get roasted at a stoplight by a nicely modded B8 S4.

I see where you’re coming from…

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-R8-Timeslip-27876.html this AMS TT V10 trapped 143mph but only 10.7 with almost a 1.9 60’ lol.

Here’s the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFeayaLY2o the car wasnt even launched, but they claimed stock clutch, OEM tires, and cold track. With a proper launch/driver that car should be low tens.

Manual so much more fun even though its so much slower.

I enjoy driving the SQ5 but bored by the paddles.

In the end a UGR V10 R8 that has been proven AND is warrantied makes the most sense!

with 143 mph of trap speed you should be knocking on 9s.

it’s tough.

Anyway, this is a silly discussion really. Hopefully someone does this so we can see what happens. Problem with these builds is it never gets where we want it to

it’s rarely a forum guy in the first place so there’s that
it’s also rare that the guy will get it all done and then test the car
if he does, it’s rare as hell that he will go to an actual dragstrip
if he does, it’s rare as hell that he will be able to drive the car well
if he does, it’s rare as hell that we’ll hear about it because he’s not a car forum guy

there’s a lot of things that need to fall into place.