Very slow 0-62mph!

Hey guys

I’ve had my car for over a year now, it’s a 2009 Audi S6. I love the car and have started to take it to the track over the past 6 months. I just bought a dragy to see how quick the car is and was pretty disappointed when I consistently ran 5.7s in the 0-62mph. I was hoping for in the 4s. I was pretty shocked at this but I got the same result 4 times. I tried it in Fully manual and in Sport mode but got the same result. Please could I get your advice on what I can do to improve the car? Could there be an issue? I ran a diagnostic scan but didn’t get any codes and the car runs well with no oil leaks. I’m pretty gutted here. These are the mods I have on the car:

• Celtic tuning ECU tune (before I knew about JHM)
  • JHM TCU tune
  • lightweight Koya 19” rims with Federal RS-RR tyres
  • JHM intake spacer
  • BMC air filters
  • carbon clean done a few months ago
  • catback 2.5” custom exhaust

I’m ofcourse thinking about getting the JHM ECU tune but is there something else I can check and test or change?

Thanks
Rich

How is your intake? And what is the 1/4 time?

As @Kimovitzh mentioned. I would give your intake manifold a good look over and then check your 1/4 mile time.

Either way I would consider changing over to the JHM tune. It’s probably going to be worth it in more ways than one.

Can you post a screenshot showing the acceleration curve?

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I don’t have any codes from the intake and because I haven’t had any unusual sounds or running issues I haven’t looked inside the intake. Up until I did this dragy test I thought the car was running well.

What’s required to test the intake? Is it throttle body off and put a camera inside?

I haven’t found a spot to test the 1/4 mile time. I might need to go to a drag strip but based on the 0-62mph speed it would be embarrassing and pretty slow.

Thanks

This is one of the graphs… sorry I’m new to dragy so does this appear normal?

Try turning off the traction control.

Below is the result from another member on here.

Note the rapid acceleration from time zero.

Is that a stock S6?

Yes ESP was fully off… looks like mine bogs off the line but that only accounts for 0.2s, but also looks like something happens between 90-100kmph as it shouldnt take a full second. Maybe the gear change from 2nd to 3rd.

Well, so was mine. But when I took apart the intake the plastic flaps was brittle and broken.
And in one of my intake ports there was plastic debris. Also the broken change over flaps doesn’t give codes when broken.

If you are lucky, taking of the Y-pipe that the throttle body sits in is enough. Put your phone down there and adjust the change over flaps.
If you see broken parts, then it’s broken. If not - well then there still a chance of it being broken.

Here’s a picture I took before opening my intake. In the back you can see something isn’t right.

And plastic in the intake ports.

That’s my 0-100.
Done on a wet road with a little rain.
JHM tuned, with ECU and TCU and with intake spacers. Also with gutted intake, stock in short runner position.

Other than that it’s stock and on winter tiers.

That’s good info. Thanks a lot. Yeah I always assumed my intake was ok but I guess I’ll need to take a look inside and check it’s all working properly and if not do something about it.

My 0-62mph time was in the dry, with sticky tyres so I would have expected much better.

I’ll get the JHM tune ordered too and see how
I go. I’ll keep you all posted on the progress and it’ll be interesting if it significantly improves the 0-62mph time.

Thanks

Yeah I think your cars 0-60 time looks like it would on a stock ECU. That delay in the power curve then start to feed in power. The JHM tune should fill in that big gap in power.

Hi guys

Just a quick update on this. After doing the JHM ECU tune and installing the lightweight crank pulley the result has dramatically improved.

Below is my first run from last night. I’m sure the car can do 0.2 or so better but I didn’t want to load up the transmission from launch and do multiple runs.

Much happier with the speed of the car now.

1 Like

Round of applause

Yes, 0.2 is indeed possible.
This is stage 1 with TCU tune and a gutted intake.

Now going on with stage 2, and I can’t wait for the last bit to get dialed and then go for 4.5 :smiling_imp:

That’s awesome! What’s stage 2, is that a different tune from JHM? Thanks

Yes, it’s by JHM and it involves gutting the CAT’s

@Rick106

Great results. Thanks for posting up the data. If you have just the ECU tune from JHM consider getting the TCU tune. It helps shave a little more off that time and it comes with the stall control feature that lets you launch the car and have the car come out the hole better.

Dang @Kimovitzh your car is moving out. great to see the fast running S6 cars.

1 Like

@justincredible The V10 guy at JHM is a magnificent guy.
I’ve been writing back and forth with him since august/September last year.
Our mail correspondence must be in the hundreds. He has some serious patience!

With this, any potential costumer in Europe should not be worried getting a tune over the internet - so to speak.

So now, just to get the last bit of juice out of this car, we look at new TCU tune and I’m looking to build a cat back exhaust.
And in the long run, a working intake manifold :see_no_evil:

It’s such a magnificent car after the JHM treatment. Big JHM ambassador here!

1 Like