Will RS6 Intake Manifold work on S6? Curious since there are so many out there.

Will RS6 Intake Manifold work on S6? Curious since there are so many out there.

work as in physically able to mount or work as in provide a performance benefit?

Yes to the former, no to the latter…

I know more experienced S6/8 guys will chime in soon, but I’d guess the direct result would you’d lose a ton of torque down low. Probably a net loss of power all the way to fuel cutoff… RS6 was a TT if I remember correctly - so big plenum, short runners = high rpm gains.

Honestly, I kinda want one! It looks pretty sexy. Under $700 including the fuel rails is pretty attractive too compared! Aaaaaaaaaalmost cheap enough to pick one up to test with.

CV, v8s6? You think an RS6 intake would be the same/better/worse than an S6 intake with the flaps permanently open?

Compugeek5150, first off welcome to the revolution :slight_smile: SIX6SIX same to you as well. I know both of you recently or such so just got into an S6.

To answer your question, The RS6 was a 5.0 our motors are a 5.2. The 5.0 intake manifold won’t mate up as the ports are off and continue to get further off as you go down the ports.

In short, the first ports if lined up will be fine, but by the time you get to the 5th port, its very very far off. So much so, that the bolt placement for the head is located in the middle of the port (if that makes sense). So, even trying to redrill the holes won’t work.

As for performance. The short runner style of the RS6 would be great…but only after 5200rpm so, the other 4000rpm that you actually drive in the rest of the time would suffer… The OEM Tune for the S6, shuts the lower runner flaps, they did this to reduce the low-end Tq that the V10 makes. They did this to give the car a good cold start (didn’t work) and to keep the car De-tuned part throttle.

An example of the lower port flaps partially open. -

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/433081140.jpg

The reason I mention this is, the OEM tune and intake are part of the De-tune effort. So, the idea itself of the RS6 intake manifold is a good idea. I and others already looked at this. It’s good to see we’re having an excited customer base doing it once again.

The solution for this intake port flap situation? The JHM tune, I know a lot has been said about it in recent weeks and I too am a shameless promoter of it but, port flap default open is one more thing that’s added into the tune. Another thing on the long list of things that other tunes just don’t think about or offer.

I’m quite sure others will say this but, just in case let me. This is Audirevolution.net we are all here for the advancement of our cars, no drama, no BS. If you guys have a question ask it, nobody here will say or give you a hard time. We all want to see this platform advance and this to be one of the greatest sites and collection of actual interested enthusiasts.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I knew one of ya would chime in… So RS6 heads are closer to R8/Gallardo heads?

I’ve been lurking around here, AZ, AW and another I can’t think of for about 2months now. Didn’t register until I started actively trying to make deals on one. Started researching at good ole’ VWVortex of all places; it’s an oldie but goodie. I’m sure I ended up here on a google hit that linked back to the infodump thread.

I’ve read a lot of what’s happening and a lot of what’s happened, and two things; 1) My god are the RS4 kids a buncha dewshknuckles, and 2) You and JHM are about the only thing still progressing on the 5.2. It’s a rareified market to begin with compared to other platforms and I get that.

Frankly the what, 7? 8? of you directly developing and documenting this platform are a blessing to the rest of us. I’ve posted here, and only here because frankly elsewhere would be a waste of my time unless is a parts for sale thread… I’ve even managed to earn some negrep I noticed - probably from a war room thread. I pre-emptively promise to never put a big wang on the back of my S6 BTW.

Now, non-mechanical plenum sure would be nice, but how about a sexy rack of ITB’s instead?! Performance be damned…the noise! the glorious noise. Worth it. I’m sold on at least the tune. Time will tell if the car I bought will last long enough for the full treatment, but it’ll happen if so. The car will only improve with age. I’m hoping it’ll become a rare bird in a decade or so. Not quite GrandNational status, probably not even RS4 status. But those that know, will know :wink:

Thanks for all the feedback. Glad I didn’t buy it lol

CV is one of the really sharp really smart helpful guys very very very smart. I agree about some of the other sites. Its good to see lots of more guys are finding AR and saving the others on other sites looking for help by bringing them to AR.

The drama in other platforms is such a drain. You get internet attitudes and want to be net super stars. Then you get the guys that get into these platforms and they want to sell there own produts so they start bashing other companys. Its super lame It like watching the presidential debates all over gain. You just see bs and lies tossed everywhere you cant find any real data

Here is the thing about the S6 we are well on our way in making this a great iconic car. Ive been very ingauged and interested in the S6 and S8. I have recently worked on several of them and seen the performance improvements.

This car due to our excitment and JHMs involvement have gone from a slow laughable 14 second car to an almost 12 second car. That changes everything. the faster the S6s and S8s go the more they will be come valuable.

agreed. Honestly, I see this as a possible futureclassic. Even without the playstation granturismo endorsement…

Dusting off the cob webs here…

@jolio1994 confirmed the port spacing between the 5.0 and 5.2 in the C6 platform share the same 90mm bore spacing. Bought some of these and plans on running on his 5.2 BXA motor.

• Looks way better
  • Easier to source
  • Cheaper than IM with flaps
  • No pesky flaps

If he pulls it off I will likely go this route as well

1 Like

To add; I just received the intake manifold from the u.k. that I ordered 3 DAYS AGO.

Freakin big sexy here

Will update once I get the flange adapters in

WHAT? Are you telling me that you can make the RS6 intake fit the S6 with these? I’m very interested to hear your results if so. The intake looks huge, but I guess it must fit under the hood if it fits in an RS6.

I am currently having replacement flaps from ExCase3D installed in my previously gutted intake.

This is a dead end. You’re NA. So you don’t want short runners. This is the entire reason why when you’re oem intake has issues you want to lock it on the long runner. short runners…That’s a turbo thing. A few people messed with the R8 NA intake… yes you can bolt that up…and works…well works better than putting an RS6 intake on. if you were looking to do such a thing that would most likely be a better idea. But even that isn’t a great addition as the fitment sucks and there isn’t any hp… multiple stages in intake length helps make a full range power band. Given the expensive option to buy a new intake. I’d look into the I think it was Russia intake manifold repair kit… Seems like a way cheaper actually helpful option.

Still not sure on how sturdy it is but it’s something to consider for about 1/10th the money on putting an RS6 intake

1 Like

Ah yes, I didn’t realize @jolio1994 had a turbo build. It’s an interesting project nonetheless.

A word of caution regarding the manifold repair kit. I got it, and had it installed, but the shop said the flaps weren’t functioning at all after assembly, so they took the part back out. In addition the material seemed quite flimsy; I’m not an expert and I’m not sure how it’s supposed to feel, but I expected them to be rigid. Instead the flaps and their axle were kind of bendy etc.

I wasn’t sure if it was you or not that had recommended the kit. I was kinda resistant and I think might have mentioned some of the same you mentioned. Good to her your thoughts.

. Great idea but I think it might need to be a bit more rigged. It’s a complicated intake manifold. But if you loose the stages it’s a bit of an impact power wise so long runner is best as it covers most of the power range. If you wanted a short runner intake I wouldn’t waste a dime on a RS6 intake or a R8 intake. it’s be completely retareded.

I’d simply lock your intake into the short runner and save a few thousand in the process. So there would be absolutely no good reason anyone would want to buy a RS6 intake unless you wanted to burn your money