Wireless CarPlay for RS5

Also, if ever needed, you can get them much less expensively off of Amazon.

Quick update , If you’re ordering from RSNAV it doesn’t come with the aux cable :disappointed: - snagging one from Amazon

1 Like

i michel - It this the interface I need for my 2013 RS5?

thanks

Yep, that’s the one!

Installed this today, the most difficult part is finding a home for the rats nest of cables but if you leave the climate control unit out, you can reach under and push the cables clear as you locate the MMI head unit.
It doesn’t come with an AUX cable as noted above but luckily the wife’s Touareg came with a set of 4 so I “borrowed” one.

I will revisit this when I get time, I installed the USB connector but it really isn’t required if you are connected by Bluetooth so I may just disconnect that connector and save on space. Also need to find a good home for the Bluetooth antenna.

Works well, audio quality seems better than than the cars Bluetooth connection.

Michel, I know this is again a few months later (but I just joined here :smiley:). I bought this same Carlinkit setup around March last year to install in my 2013 A5. I now pulled it out and it will go in the RS5! I agree about the poor install docs (originally NONE) that I asked for, but I figured it out and I got the Climate Control cable figured up front. The whole setup works as I hoped and does everything I wanted. Would touch-screen be better? Sure. And larger screen like RSNav offers? Duh, of course again…

Fitting it all in the dash? Patience is a virtue as they say. Reroute some cables, bend the big multi-plug this way and that, and eventually it all goes in without wrecking anything.

Well, at least you’ll be an expert in the installation! The docs were really poor. I completely missed the part about pulling out the climate control and plugging it in to the provided wiring harness. I saw the extra plug and thought that ain’t right!

No complaints with mine. I do get a audio pause, like 1/8th of a second, every now and again but I’m in a military town and it interferes with the bluetooth. I also wish it would just auto play music when you first get in the car. Probably a setting on my phone that I haven’t bothered to research.

Edit, I’ll summarize the below statement as an extended mental lapse. First, it helps to toggle CarPlay “on” in your phone settings :roll_eyes:, second, the WiFi password is available in the airplay selection in the settings menu on-screen. Third, a phone cable is not an aux cable. Aux cables will be selectable in the MMI options, phone cables will not unless a phone is plugged into it (Audi dealer hooked me up w/ a free aux cable since they’re never used much anymore). Finally got it all sorted out. Only complaint I have is the echo when talking on the phone. Other than that it’s :ok_hand:t2:

=================================================

Still unable to get AUX MMI become selectable in the source menu, the cable that came with the car is pre lightning connector iPhone. Have been running it via Bluetooth but it’ll only stay active for about 15min before blanking out. Now it’s telling me it needs the wifi password to get into it, but I can’t remember where to get the password. Saying I’m frustrated with this doesn’t quite cover it.

Yes, back in the 2013 era, our MMI equipped cars came with a 30-pin Apple cable. Go on EBay or other such sites to find an Aux cable to fit the AMI port. Lots of inexpensive ones out there!

1 Like

I think I bought a generic one off of Amazon.

And yes, the echo. I can’t get it to go away on mine but you never hear it on our end so it’s not a problem, right? :sweat_smile:

I’ll have to do a bit more research on eliminating it.

You know, I thought I had this CarPlay add-on module working well in my previous A5, and a few weeks ago I installed it in the RS5. But I think I have missed some setting or perhaps I have to alter something in the MMI… I will explain below.

This is working mostly as expected, it finds my phone (wireless Bluetooth) properly and I can make and receive calls. The Apple navigation works correctly too, and even Waze comes up from the phone (onto the MMI screen of course). But I do not get any navigation “audio” directions through the speakers. I recall something about setting an AUX value somewhere… did I not set something? Like I said the phone works, sound and mic are working from the car, so that parts great. But the navigation programs off the phone are silent… suggestions from anyone out there with one of these “Far-East” CarPlay kits???

[EDIT: shoot… I think I see Michel said something way up top about activating AUX setting via VCDS or Carista. Guess I should give Carista some $$$ again for a day’s access! ]

[Edit #2: activated Green Screen, then found AUX was disabled. Enabled and now have sound working in more CarPlay apps]

I ordered this on Sunday and it was delivered today. 4 days from Hong Kong to Nevada is pretty impressive. Super excited to get this installed.

Here is a pic from Carsie.net where I installed on my S5 a while back. All of the units out there look like the same Chinese units. I just ordered and RS Nav unit for my RS5.

And the link to a Youtube video of an install from Carsie.net
https://youtu.be/0hVRUfjys40
Install page here shows a quick tutorial how to enable the Aux port in the Green screen. You’ll need to use Vagcom to enable the Green screen, might be another way but I’m not sure.
https://carsie.net/tutorials/apple-carplay-android-auto-module-installation-mmi-3g-mib1-mib2/

If these devices from various sellers are basically the same, does anyone know if the “firmware” on these is upgradeable? I wonder if some of the “quirks” have been fixed over the few years these have been available. I bought mine (looks identical) from an AliExpress seller called CarSight over 2 years ago. There seem to be two upgradeable software parts, something called MCU and the other is something they called “system upgrade” in the menus. Mine has v2.0.2.7.gp.a version, whatever that means.

My box does work and do what I expect, but sometimes it just freezes or just acts strange. Then it needs a “reboot”. Maybe some updates will help!

Mine does show a Upgrade software button feature so I’ll contact Carsie.net and see if they offer one. Their price has went up a lot since I bought it that’s why I went with RS Nav for my Wife’s Q5.