Yet another C6 S6 leaking oil

I bought my '07 S6 with 150k miles from a family friend about a year ago, and while it was in overall good shape, she definitely needed some TLC. It’s not my daily driver, nor is it my only project, so it’s not nearly as repaired as I would like, but, it’s getting there.

My biggest concern with it for a while now has been that it loses a lot of oil - even without driving it much (I probably put ~1,200 miles on it in the last 13 months), it was needing about a quart of oil every month - and the oil it was losing seemed to be hitting the exhaust and smoking a lot. It also seemed to not smoke (much) if I kept the RPMs lower than ~2,500, but if I revved it up it would smoke more.

From some research on here, I decided to start with a carbon cleaning and replace the oil filter O rings, which definitely helped with the amount of oil I was losing, but I was still burning oil on the cat, seemingly mostly from the driver’s side (US). This past week I replaced the valve cover gaskets and PCV/Oil Separator and I think I’m done burning the oil, however, when wrapping up the project and tidying up my tools, I let it idle for a few minutes before going on a test drive and I noticed it was absolutely pissing oil out the front center of the engine. I decided I’ve replaced this much of the oil seals (and those valve cover gaskets were brittle), I’ll do the front main seal and the oil cooler O rings to hopefully resolve this.

From reading around this site, I see that the PCV/Oil Separators have a tendency to create high crankcase pressures, SO, my question is - Do I have a faulty PCV that’s giving me high pressure and that’s why it’s suddenly leaking out the front main seal, or, now that it can’t leak out the valve covers, is it just coming out of the next weakest point?

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Just to mention if it is even related. After putting the new pvc and oil separator systems in, car appears burn more oil than it used to. 3x more, about 1L per 1k miles now. Engine has about 70k on it. I’m sort of afraid to drive it until I figure out wtf is going on myself…

Update: I took a saturday and yanked the front bumper & radiator support so that I could replace the front main seal, oil pan seal, and oil cooler O rings. After a long struggle I gave up on the oil cooler, I couldn’t get the rear-most bottom bolt out, but I did replace the oil pan seal and the front main seal.

I took it for a drive and got the low oil level and low coolant level lights, along with some steam from the coolant, pulled over & topped them off, and I think I’m all set!(?) I’m not sure why the coolant steamed out, but I think both the oil and coolant systems must’ve had an air bubble that meant they needed topping off? I don’t know. I took it for another ride today and I’m not seeing any oil leaking underneath!

Did you use any special tools for the front main seal?

Nope, I did what I’ve always done with rear main seals for removal: carefully screw 3 small self tapping screws into the main seal, making sure to stay as centered as possible, and then using a clip removal tool to slowly pry them out - Sort of like this.

To press it in, I have a 3d printer, so I made myself a custom sized press-tool-thing, but wound up being ready to replace the seal before the print was done, so I just used a couple playing cards to help the center slide on nicely, and then carefully tapped it in with a rubber mallet and a wooden dowel.