10,000 mile review of my 2010 Audi S4… lol

After 6+ years of ownership I hit 10K miles the other day, figured I’d do a review of the car… J/K

So… Thought I’d share some results for the last few weeks/months of drag racing while things were being dialed in and such…

My Car: 2010 Audi S4 - DSG with sports dif, currently has 10,100 miles, most runs done with 1/8 - 1/4 tank of gas, tools and spare removed.

Mods: APR tune, APR DSG tune with LC disabled/AMAX enabled, APR blower pulley, APR crank pulley, APR TB, APR intake(larger filter and no box), APR CPS v1, 034 HFC’s, Miltek non-res dp/catback, front and rear sways, 380mm Brembo BBK, JHM LW rear rotors, BBS CHR’s, Conti’s with varying tire pressure depending on the conditions.

I’m not going to discuss or show pictures of the APR products as I’ve been asked not to and I’m sure they’ll cover everything upon release. Let’s just say the product(s) work very well. Remember my best prior to the new mods but with dual pulley was 11.45 at 119.56 in a much better DA of 180 and with a tune that bypassed very little boost but did have shift hang-ups.

Here is my best run from Sept. 24th.
DA – 1,817
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php?temperature=66.9&rh=51&altset=30.24&elevation=1230&track=58&month=9&day=24&year=2016&time=12:53%20PM

1.5538 60ft
4.6865 330ft
7.2828 1/8th
93.65 1/8 mph
9.5067 1000ft
11.3841 1/4 et
120.23 ¼ MPH

Struggled with a few DSG hang-ups on this day but was happy as I thought it was a good start and a new PB for me. Basically the first time I ran with the new hardware/software in any decent DA.

Here is my best run from Oct. 29th.
DA – 2,343
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php?temperature=69.1&rh=65&altset=29.95&elevation=1230&track=58&month=10&day=29&year=2016&time=11:53%20AM

1.5910 60ft
?.??? 330ft – 330 clocks weren’t working
7.2593 1/8th
94.04 1/8 mph
9.4536 1000ft
11.3042 1/4 et
121.85 ¼ MPH

Worked though a few things over the month of Oct. and finally had the shifting issues resolved and got a bunch of clean passes but not the best DA’s or IAT’s. Another new PB even in the crappy DA and pretty much all passes were in the 11.3x range.

Here is my best run from Nov. 5th.
DA – 1,197
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php?temperature=59.0&rh=64&altset=30.33&elevation=1230&track=58&month=11&day=5&year=2016&time=12:53%20PM

1.5803 60ft
4.6903 330ft
7.2330 1/8th
95.01 1/8 mph
9.4152 1000ft
11.2509 1/4 et
123.48 ¼ MPH

Ran a few other 11.2x passes. Car ran great with no shifting issues. Still not the greatest DA but much better than before and it’s reflected in the ET and trap improvement. Logs look great with very nice timing values, little to no timing retard, no bypass, fast shifts, etc. Another new PB but just off Loe’s overall record in a DA that was about 600 feet worse. Confident lined up same day same track I’ll do pretty well against any B8/B8.5 S4.

Unfortunately, I got one more shot on Nov. 12th in sub 500 DA’s but I couldn’t get any race gas as it was sold out everywhere and by the time I realized that I couldn’t get any shipped in time. I did run 11.28 on 100 octane with a great deal of timing pull. I’m done for the year as it’s raining today and it’s the last day of the year around here. Would have liked to make a pass in killer DA with 104 octane. I feel the car will go 11.1x at 124.xx as is and near ideal conditions, will see in the spring. Confident APR has a few more good things in the pipeline and hopefully I can test them in the spring! Really happy with the progress the platform has made in general and I know it’s going to continue to get better and I look forward to keep pushing the car… Looking forward to going 10’s on the stock blower!

Big thanks to APR, especially Eric, Sean, Joel, Tom, Naj, and Arin for helping make it happen and letting me be involved in the process! Can’t say enough good things about these guys and how they’ve gone above and beyond to help me… GO APR!!!

Let me know if there are any questions/comments… Let the hating begin! lol

Here are some gopros/vids of various runs… I’m hoping to get more vids from outside as a guy from work took some but he hasn’t sent them to me yet. Unfortunately, none of the 11.25 run but I did get the 11.28 on 100.

Here are the slips and pics showing tech card and full interior…

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/tech%20card1_zpssftu9j67.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/tech%20card2_zpsgxf52i9h.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/pass2racegas_20160924_zpshe18v673.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/passes_20161029_zps0nogntct.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/s4_20161105_zpszvb4yo17.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtL1gs2KzAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuh0F4mbIoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6u-4Rwu9Zs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vouy3xrvVOs

Nice reporting Ron, the MPH gain form 1/8th to 1/4 is impressive, car is making some serious power up top. I’m looking forward to the UC release and give it a whirl myself.

I was almost spot on with my guess. Lol.

Congrats on the great times! I just had a feeling you were hiding some good times up your sleeve. I was wondering about the APR tune you have. Is it a tune that will be available to everyone, or is it just custom to your exact setup? My second question is did you ever port and polish the SC, or is that all stock still?

Thanks! Yeah, very happy with the trap speed as it shows the power increase more than the ET. In a 0ish DA the car should trap 124+ like I mentioned so that’s quite a bit better than most of the dual pulley cars. i think you’ll like the setup, very nice pieceses with excellent fit and finish. At some point I’ll post pics of it. Also, hit me up when released as I think my intake setup is better especially if you like the open intake style. Had to test several things but found the perfect setup…

Thanks! Yeah, sorry I didn’t post times sooner, promised APR I’d wait until the season was done and was hoping to go today but it’s raining/snowing so no dice… As for the tune, I’m honestly not sure? I’d assume so as I don’t think they are doing anything custom on the ecu side and trust me it’s been through a lot of revisions… lol I do have HFC’s so not sure if Eric has anything different for them? I’ll ask next time I talk/email with him… No never p&p blower. From what I’ve seen heard there isn’t a lot of material so it would probably be more of just a polish. You have to be careful when porting/polishing stuff as some of the guys are learning who bought ported TB’s as many of them are causing rough idle and driving issues. Doubt I’ll remove and p&p it though tbh…

Great updates. And great times. Its good to see APR has landed in the upper range of performance again.

This is good to see for the overall platform. The car looks to be very consistant.

Is APR getting these results at lower boost pressure then the other duel pulley cars. It looks like the added APR offerings have helped you get about 2 more mph over all of the other duel pulley cars.

Thanks for the update great times.

Justin, Thanks bud! I appreciate that… The car sees between 20-21 psi depending on the conditions… It’s in line with where it should be based on others logs I’ve seen.

Tough to say for sure on the mph over other dual pulley’s because the size of the crank pulley and conditions will really influence resutls. Sample size is limited also and most folks aren’t going to the dragstrip unfortunately. All though they sure talk like their cars are fast… lol No doubt the TB helps quite a bit also and having the tune dialed in as well. Like I mentioned before I’m very confident same day same track it is faster than any other non 1.74L B8/B8.5 car and it will probably beat most 1.74L cars. It’ll go faster in the spring! Something to look forward to… thanks again man!

one of us was

great times and traps Ron

p.s. you should delete the pic of the tech card. Nobody needs to see it and all it does is put your name on the internet. No gain can come from that.

thanks! Yeah good point… I removed it… Appreciate that… Ron

Nice work Ron. Thanks for sharing.

The anti-competitors tune in that AZ thread is amazing. I’ve said it multiple times despite the arguments/kickback that I have received on AZ, 123.48mph is nothing to sneeze at in any D/A for this car.

No other competitors have touched 123.xx and just two have gotten into the 120mph zone (GIAC and 034)

Thanks Josh… Appreciate it…

Yeah, no matter what the car runs ET/MPH people are going to complain about something… It is what it is…

Thought the one below was funny. This is the guy Toni thinks should be a moderator on vendorzine… Why because he is his buddy. Dude just arrived on the B8/8.5 scene but he knows it all and is real impartial just what you want from a moderator…

[QUOTE=Lensch09;12035438]Lots of other dual-pulley options on the market available, today.

The ONLY way this thing is viable is if you are a current APR customer, or for those who are starting from scratch. Those of us on GIAC, REVO, EPL, or other tuner trains need not bother.

Also, for those of you that don’t think 123 isn’t possible from a vendor sponsored car, you’re dreaming… The official release (if it ever happens), won’t have nearly the “pepper” because people are idiots, and run the wrong tunes on the wrong fuels (mixing e85/93 on race tunes, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Yep, plenty of other dual pulley options out there, they all still bypass boost. GIAC with Loe’s and Muneeb’s help will figure it out no doubt, but Revo and EPL… lol

Glad you’re not going to bother with a TB, one of the mosst beneficial mods for a PD blower cars that has been proven time and again on Mustangs, Camaros, CTS-V’s, etc. over the years. If the other tuners are so good why haven’t they done TB’s yet? Nah they’ll wait for APR to do all the work and than jump in, why if they’re so good and APR is so bad? Honestly, I’ve been nagging APR about a TB since the begining… Isam everyones favorite pulley guy has been working on one for 5+ years in fact he took my money for a year and promised a product but never delivered. He did refund my money and I have no ill will towards him but that’s a fact. But why it’s so simple even APR can do it…

His last statement is the main reason I grabbed his reply this morning. I’m NOT a “vendor sponsored” car never have been and never will be. I have no interest in working for APR, I’m a enthusiast who likes to push his car to be faster and on this platform have been around since the inception but since you’re new to the seen you wouldn’t know that. You know back when GIAC, Revo, EPL, Uni, etc couldn’t even write a tune for the car… I’ve paid for all my modifications the only thing APR does for me is sells me parts earlier than others, lets me test them and makes tweaks to the software, you know kind of like what GIAC is doing with Loe and Muneeb… Finally, good to know Loe who has the fastest ET still is an idiot for mixing pump and E85 and running it on the race file… You’re a fucking moron dude… Go learn how to drive stick so you can run a decent time and not make excuses…

I tried not to bother anymore.

I too was hinted at being a vendor sponsored car on AZ a few months back (from a guy who’s a tuner that told one of his customers that the “7” heat-range is a one-step colder plug nontheless…) during a discussion involving the supplemental fuel-pump and him asking if I truly paid for it as well. Nothing “vendor” sponsored on my car, I paid for everything on the car, and GIAC chose to work with me for a B8.5 dual-pulley file to make it work for other people who paid for their parts lol.

welcome to the revolution guys.

Primetime…Loe

We and I mean the V8 guys have seen this for years. Companys paying customers for fake reviews to try and bash the JHM dominance in the NA game. I know this is a different car and platform but the tactics of the same players continue. That is the only way some companys are even able to get busniess EPL is big on this. Lie to the people sponsor guys with free parts and they have to sponsor people because thats about the only way they can get a big bag of customers. But since they dont get the same excited guys like you they bribe for excitment and go after anyone like Loe and Primetime to try and reduce there creditablity. That is why when the one epl guy came on here a few months ago I kinda called him out.

Nobody cares if you got a hand out but dont hide it and try to push your opinions as facts. The fact is the 1/4 mile dosent lie all grievences can be held there.

So at the end of another year it looks like even with all the fluff and hubbub from other companys APR and GIAC are 1 and 2 in performance. Just like they have been from day one. Just know that because they cant beat your times they will try to bash your times and thankfully AR has a nice collection of B8 guys.

It seems everytime this lame crap happen on AZ that more B8 guys looking for the truth and a open honest conversation just sign up and come here. Maybe that will continue

Preach it Justin :slight_smile: what I find so funny is my antiquated Revo file is faster than most of the “new” EPL guys - who all know it “all”. What I’ve found in my 2 years of 4 Ring ownership and forum following is AR is for facts, AZ is for entertainment.

Wow, impressive! I will be shocked if you go tens with a full interior and your current set up; DA may need to be perfect with the wind blowing in the right direction :wink: Good luck!

What do you think your car will run on pump?

Good season Ron. Look forward to seeing what you do with the car next year. I’ll be back to tinkering with my car once it warms up again

Thanks! Yeah no doubt going 10’s will be tough but it’s a nice goal to shoot for… I think the car already has a 11.1x in it with near perfect conditions which to your point is what it’s going to take… I won’t gut the car or do anything “ricer” as it’s not that important to me…

On 93 pump, probably 11.6-7 in crappy conditions, 11.5-6 in decent conditions, and 11.4-5 in killer DA’s… On 100 it went 11.28 in killer DA’s…

I actually think Ron’s estimates are conservative, but mine may be too aggressive lol.

I tried to inject some objective data that I found with octane since someone was on the subject of it, but then decided to delete the data because there isn’t a point. I guess by the logic on AZ, the more octane the more power you’ll make and that a dedicated race file for 104 octane would not allow for e85/93 mixes…if only he would see the data I see, I can easily bust that myth…