2003 Cobra build thread

Damn!

V8 Focus FTW! That’s up there with the 4.2 Audi Coupe quattro conversions.

Getting ready to get tuned Friday. Yesterday I did an EGR delete. Got rid of the nest of valves and vacuum lines sitting on the side of the blower. Zero performance gains but it looks better. Then I mounted my new bigger heat exchanger. Made brackets out of aluminum plate.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x59/joec1992/DE194722-A83D-421D-A917-7A930E3C6707-1601-0000008CED92F5C3_zps15c1e8e0.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x59/joec1992/B4DC9182-3204-4048-A4C9-B91847A0AB60-1601-0000008CF3CE7950_zps4d945731.jpg

Looking good. Plans for the strip?

Not sure. Obviously seat time makes a big difference but I’d be happy with high 11’s.

should be better then that right…

trap is more important for these cars than ET since it’s so tough to get it right with RWD and big power/torque. What is your trap goal?

terminators tend to et better then trap… If he is on street tires then he will be lucky to get down the track with still using 1st and 2nd gear

Yeah I’m going to be on toyo r888 so a DOT R compound. It will take me a while to get the launch down. Quattro+LA made it so easy with the s4

Looks great Joe, I’ve always loved the 03-04 Cobras and actually test drove a red one 2 weeks before I bought my new F-150. To be honest I will probably still own one at some point. Looking forward to hearing about your tune results.

No doubt we JHM tuned drivers have it very easy!

I didn’t know much about Termis nor would I have ventured into the domestic scene, so keep the updates coming in here, its great to have a domestic section.

Also, post any interesting threads from the domestic forums pertaining to your car and build, keen to learn more.

Got the car tuned by Bob Kurgan this past Friday. Put down pretty good numbers for just a pulley car so my motor is one of the stronger ones. For some reason my injectors reached 100% duty cycle at 5200rpm and up so it was a little bit limited by that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm66dOH1rbE

There was also an incredible fox with a decently large 70mm turbo on it. It put down something like 740hp to the wheels on C85 which is just VP’s version of E85
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o28AUkuqtJ0

dyno queen!

Great Thread.

Lol. Had to say that anonymously?

Btw where’s the timeslip

Great Thread.

Lol. Had to say that anonymously?

Btw where’s the timeslip

So where is the tune slip :slight_smile:

So where is the tune slip :slight_smile:

I forgot about this thread. No time slip but I hope to get there this summer. I need a set of 15" wheels and a bias ply tire for the car to not destroy the rear end. A while back I chose not to convert the car to a solid rear axle setup for multiple reasons. I wanted the car to still handle well, the exhaust pipes visible under the Cobra has been something that drew me to the car for a long time, and Ford intended on the car being a track car, not a 1/4" mile hustler. So, I completely built the IRS setup but they are still susceptible to wheel hop when using a radial tire at the dragstrip, which is what breaks axles, which are $400 each!

The car is a little different now.
-Ported blower, plenum, and throttle body
-True in-fender cold air intake
-Fore innovations 1200hp capable return style fuel system with 80lb injectors
-Tuned by Bob Kurgan on E85. 600whp and 570wtq at 18ish lbs.
-Built T56 rated for 1000hp. Centerforce 6 puck sprung clutch. Not as bad as you would think it might be, but certainly not what you would want to DD in.
-Mechman Billet Tech 240a alternator (factory design is a very weak point on the car and alt. failure usually means fuel starvation aka melted motor. heat cooks them, it sits 1" away from the headers)
-Bunch of other stuff done since then: engine bay beautified, paint correction, different gauges inside, yada yada you get the gist.

Upcoming plans: suspension stuff mainly. Everything about the factory ford suspension and steering makes the front end of the car so numb and hard to place. So I am doing upgraded control arms and aluminum/delrin bushings in place of a lot of the rubber parts. Also ditching the H&R springs that are on the car and putting cut stock springs on the car. CUT SPRINGS??? RICER!!! Nope, they are linear, which I know, cutting the spring does change the rate but not much for the amount I am going to cut to get the ride height I want. The H&R I have now are progressive and I really hate the feel. I am going to 18" Cobra wheels with Toyo R888 all around.

So as you can see I am trying to not build the typical 1/4" mile or roll racer Cobra that everyone else does. I am building everything on the car to be balanced, strong, and I am doing my best to not cut corners. Ultimately my goal is for the car to handle extremely well while also having a ton of power on tap. I like just taking the car out and driving it for a few hours. A lot of guys that build these cars build something that you’d hate to drive for a few hours because it was built to impress their friends with 10 second time slips.
For some reason I do not have any pictures of the new engine bay configuration so this is all you get, a quick picture I took before putting the car in storage

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x59/joec1992/20151012_142939_zpsr7v3q521.jpg