2018 RS5

Disappoint. although my expectation were nearly zero after seeing the mutilated post op version of the A5/S5. It’s like once gorgeous 25 year old super model went in for the nip n tuck and the B8.5 came out. She wasnt happy and went back in for a multiple face lifts, breast aug, fat grafting, butt lift resulting in this ugly shit. In its best form it will be blacked out with the titanium package.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2018-audi-rs5-geneva-2017/#slide-4695084

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/750x422/quality/95/https://s.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/469/507/9/S4695079/slug/l/01-2018-audi-rs5-geneva-1.jpg

I think it looks better than the a4/a5 at least marginally

The rear looks like crap, a cross of the Maserati ghibili.

I have to vehemently disagree…I think the b8.5 RS5 is one of the best looking cars I’ve ever seen. I think it made the B8 RS5 look pedestrian and old fashioned.

This new one on the other hand is a bit boring. Maybe Navy isn’t the best colour to show a car’s lines but even then the front looks like a mosquito face or something. Like black…everything disappears. Show it in light grey and you’ll see it’s shape better although I don’t think that will change the face or the ass, both of which are a bit Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus looking (too many angles, too much going on, too fidgety).

here’s my favourite RS5…sepang blue, black trim. Mint.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/custom-audi-rs5-in-sepang-blue-is-pure-beauty-photo-gallery_6.jpg

Thumbs up!

I’m liking the B9 for what it is. The first year paint and trim options are limited; it would be nice if it were easier to find out about the pricing and packaging for Audi Exclusive. There’s something for everyone. I think the S5 Sportback most closely meets my needs.

With the RS5, I was hoping for the PDK lifted from the Panamera. It looks like this motor will be bolted to the ZF8, which isn’t a deal killer but lowers the value proposition. I like that the 3.0TFSI and the 2.9TFSI are different blocks, different bore/stroke, etc. I do wonder if the RS will be more laggy. What are the relative turbo sizes, PSI and compression ratios?

I think I’d still rather go Panamera for air suspension and PDK reasons alone.

i agree with Saki. RS5 B8.5 imo is one of the best looking cars on the road. This new one im not liking so much but its always better to see the car in person first.

I like it overall, particularly the more dramatically flared fenders.

With an engine that puts out about the same power as the 4.0TT in my S6 but about 500 lbs. less weight, it’s gonna move

it will be interesting to see if they’re lying about the power (on the low side).

450 hp in modern audi speak means about 500 hp. 500 hp means about 420 whp, and 420 whp means about 11.7@117 on pump gas. We will see.

[quote=“sakimano,post:8,topic:9369”]
Exactly, which would make it the quickest and close to the fastest in its class, which would also be right in line with “modern audi speak”.

If I could import a lightly used TTS supercharged B8 RS5 I would be done for many years!

If Mercedes added 4 matic to the C63 I’d buy that over this frankenchild RS5, or anything else in its class. I like the way Mercedes has gone with their exterior aesthetics.

Can’t argue how fast these modern cars are getting bone stock…love it!

Sounds pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np7R4qBiP8U

The background music sounds good but the engine sounds like typical V6 shit.

yeah, wish they and BMW would wake up and go AWD

Nobody gave a shit about Teslas until they went AWD. Now they’re the biggest cult car on earth. Everyone talks about them constantly. Why? because they’re able to put immense power to use. thanks to AWD.

making RWD cars in the era where 400+ hp is the norm must feel really stupid. You must feel like the guys who were trying really hard to keep insisting that jet propulsion wasn’t as good as a propeller.

lolyup

I couldn’t have been more disappointed listening to that

I’d rock a B9 RS5 with ceramics. Seems like the perfect car.

If you want a decent sounding smaller motor check out the Alfa GQ (that stupid long name). 2.9 cyl turbo with 500 HP and rwd.

It also handles pretty well, ran a decent ring time (not the be all end all) the weird thing is they hyped up 6 speed manual only and then last second it’s only offered in 8 speed auto I believe so weird.

If only The name didn’t suck and it might be reliable (up for debate) it might be worth considering.

Alfa is kind of a niche manufacturer with a new platform. Audi/Porsche have these cars dialed in. When you get to a small manufacturer like Lotus, they screw up basic things like headlight position. That doesn’t happen with a Boxster or 911.

After working at multiple dealerships I would beg to differ. I had to fix a bunch of cars that came right off the shipping truck with issues. The worst stories were either R8s or brand new cars that were still under the 6 to 9 month trial period where every single repair had to be reported to tech line for authorization.

Once I got a brand new 2012 A6 that someone at the factory dropped a spare T25 Torx fender liner bolt into the fan that spun around digging into the radiator causing a massive coolant leak. Best part was the car had been special ordered, they didn’t have any spare radiators in the USA so one had to be pulled from the assembly line in Germany, and it took additional month to be fixed because of the required repair approval and shipping time.

Hehe :joy: yeah, Alfa hasn’t been good, actually pretty spotty, that said in most of the reviews I read most mags reviewed it pretty good and said if you are willing to gamble the car should be considered.

I will give it a year or two before considering, but I like the idea. And sounds good for what it is

Back to the rs5 thread.

Jimmy that’s scary but believable, there were stories like that even at the Lexus dealership I used to work at but it was few and far between then what you experienced I’m sure. Hell local Porsche dealer told me at one point they were getting brand new cayennes delivered to them with coolant leaks :-p

Yeah, well with Audi RS5 the production line moves pretty quickly and the QA period is short. At that volume it is cheaper to fix at the dealership. Pay for a Bentley GT and the line moves about 1/10 as quick, and the QA period is 10x as long. The odds are your Audi will be fine. Mine had 0 assembly defects and I got a first year car.

My point is that even a perfectly assembled Lotus or Alfa has design defects, like headlights that don’t illuminate the road properly. Maybe they only had enough R&D time to get the chassis correct, and had to ship it right after. Fuck, on the Alfa they couldn’t even finish the 6MT development. I’m sure they cut all kinds of scope. And it’s still here 2 years late. I’ve been banned from forums for years now where I talked shit about that car.